Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

myLife email address

Posted by Reanie 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
November 18, 2008 04:00PM
From myUnisa site:

student news - Unisa launches new communication channel for students

Unisa's student portal, myUnisa, was launched three years ago to give students direct access to Unisa information, to allow them to update their personal details on the Unisa student system, to give them access to information about the modules for which they have registered, to join and study online, to consult their lecturers and the library, and to even pay their accounts.

Unisa has now taken this a step further. Unisa has signed an agreement with Microsoft to provide a new service to its students. Phase 1 will simply be an exchange email account, which will be implemented when online registration opens on 24 November 2008. The email account will include a 10 gigabyte storage facility. In Phase 2, we plan to include other Microsoft live services such as social networking facilities (similar to Facebook), online file storage, and Office Live workspace. The vision for this project is to provide a social environment for students to foster a sense of belonging that is separate from the myUnisa academic platform. This platform can be used to enhance communication with and among students, and will create many marketing opportunities for Unisa.

So how does it work? From 2009, Unisa will offer each registered student a free email account for life, known as myLife. Once a student has registered on myUnisa, Unisa will automatically create a unique email address for him or her, which he or she must activate before being able to use it. From this point onwards, Unisa will disregard all other email addresses it has in the student system and will only use the student's myLife email address for formal communication. If the student decides, therefore, not to use the myLife email address, he or she will not receive any email communication from Unisa; students will, however, be able to forward email from myLife to their preferred personal mailbox. Unisa will also not respond to any email communication received from any email address other than the myLife email address.
Anonymous User
Re: myLife email address
November 18, 2008 04:07PM
that frakking well sucks!!!!!!!!!

how about I refuse to pay my student account cause I don't get email to my proper email address and have to go and remember *another* one
Anonymous User
November 18, 2008 04:08PM
lol, this will fail so hard.
November 18, 2008 04:57PM
FAIL! Typical after I exit from UNISA they decide to do this.
Anonymous User
November 18, 2008 05:01PM
are you finishing this year?

get a gmail address...
November 18, 2008 09:47PM
ja nee , kak idee.

oh look at me , i can only talk to you if your email adress is "@mylife.whatever".
sorry, i know you pay your fees.
i know you work hard.
i know , i know, but i cannot email you back. @mylife is the saviour and the one and only
im sorry.

GET WITH IT UNISA. i dig unisa but this is ridiculous.
November 18, 2008 10:37PM
Guess they are also going to monitor/police the emails?
November 19, 2008 07:51AM
<retracted>

--
"Knowledge has much better uses than self-pity and superiority"
November 19, 2008 07:53AM
I used hotmail till microsoft got in. I don't use MSN. I don't use yahoo. I avoid bloat where I can. I don't let silverlight install on my PC or those I administer.

I don't want to be left behind, but I don't want to live in a world of bloat. Google it. Keep it simple, not stupid.

Has Unisa just signed an agreement with Microsoft, or are they paying them as well? Student fees? Shouldn't or couldn't a local company be contracted to do this? Why should Microsoft get to provide these services ahead of others? Their services in this domain ( MSN etc ) are not the most popular - 3rd best or worse.

"Unisa will also not respond to any email communication received from any email address other than the myLife email address" - Nonsense! Why ignore emails because of the address? I use my cell all the time to send emails, will Mylive be as ubiquitous?

"If the student decides, therefore, not to use the myLife email address, he or she will not receive any email communication from Unisa" - THIS IS A FREE WORLD! Who made a decision that they now want to suck big time? Why put the onus on students to foward email to the email adresses that they use? I check my email normally 10-15 times a day, now I must have another box to login? Webmail is annoying that way, so I only check maybe once a week, except for google who has done it so well.

Again, who made the decision that they want to suck? IT?
November 19, 2008 08:03AM
I take what I said back.
Did not read fully tongue sticking out smiley

It does indeed look like absolute bullshit.
The more I look at this the more disgusting it seems.

--
"Knowledge has much better uses than self-pity and superiority"
Anonymous User
November 19, 2008 08:09AM
At least our gmail overlords will come to the rescue (hypocrisy needle quivering). You can pluck from the myLive account and reply through your gmail as if from the myLive account.
Anonymous User
November 19, 2008 08:13AM
hmm, actually I wonder if that will work. I've had trouble with gmail and M$ exchange already, the message gets delivered "on behalf of" the account holder. I can't believe these ppl get sucked into this M$ stuff: locked into expensive SLA's and complicated software that needs to be upgraded (platform wide) every 6 months or so.
November 19, 2008 09:01AM
>Unisa has signed an agreement with Microsoft
>...will disregard all other email addresses it has in the student system

Do I smell something bad?
November 19, 2008 09:04AM
OMG I'm so glad 2009 will be my last year, the decisions get worse and worse ...
November 19, 2008 10:29AM
This totally sucks...
Maybe... you could route your email to your normal address from your MyLive account?
November 19, 2008 11:17AM
Just got an official email from Unisa promoting myLife.
November 19, 2008 11:23AM
oh the horror has begun...sad smiley
November 19, 2008 11:25AM
Even with forwarding this is total crap ...
November 19, 2008 11:30AM
True blue... i have 2 email address already! (work and normal mail)
Now i would have to remember a 3rd...!

I wonder if you can petition this?thumbs downthumbs up
November 19, 2008 11:30AM
November 19, 2008 11:36AM
just see if you can put a rule on it to re direct all your emails to your standard email addie?
November 19, 2008 11:49AM
aah... that could work.
November 19, 2008 12:52PM
celene Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> are you finishing this year?
>
> get a gmail address...

I do have a gmail address smile

I'm so happy I'm out of UNISA from next yeah. Such silly decisions.
November 19, 2008 01:11PM
i plan to do 2 more years at computer school so will just have to live with it.
soon enough Telkom will require me to only contact them via a Telkom.co.za email address.
and vodacom will require their own one as well
and makro
and game
there goes the whole freeking freedom of speech cause you have to speak a certain domain
November 19, 2008 01:13PM
jxharding Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i plan to do 2 more years at computer school so
> will just have to live with it.
> soon enough Telkom will require me to only contact
> them via a Telkom.co.za email address.
> and vodacom will require their own one as well
> and makro
> and game
> there goes the whole freeking freedom of speech
> cause you have to speak a certain domain

oh holy cow... if that has to happen i am screwed...
Anonymous User
November 19, 2008 01:18PM
i also got the mylife spam message - it does say in there that you can redirect to and from it if you wish to
November 19, 2008 01:27PM
when will this become the norm now
can i register for this already?
i wanna send a lot of sht to this email address , i saw the limitations but you can send some mp'3's at least. once its on there, it probably uses their bandwidth to foward it to someone else.

already doing it via gmail, but i like gmail so wont misuse them if not required.
Anonymous User
November 19, 2008 01:48PM
2009, when you register on myunisa, you MUST register on mylife
November 19, 2008 02:08PM
i know this might be a stupid question.. but, when does registrations open?
Anonymous User
November 19, 2008 02:13PM
1 december if you are new (i think) - you can maybe register for subjects if you are waiting for exam results just as long as the subject you register for does not need one of the subjects you wrote an exam for.

otherwise, the day you get your results
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login