Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Assignment submission procedure

Posted by Mac 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Mac
Assignment submission procedure
February 06, 2013 08:25AM
A PDF is available in the resources folder on myUnisa.
Re: Assignment submission procedure
February 15, 2013 11:04AM
Hi Mac, based on the pdf regarding the submission rules, what if a person he is having a domain name like this 56438764.freeoda.com with nothing or not text after the student number? will that constitute an okay submission?

Thanks!
Mac
February 15, 2013 11:28AM
Some students allege that other students stole their code from their web sites. Adding text makes it totally impossible.
March 10, 2013 05:40PM
HEy Mac, you wrote on on the assignment that we must create a code.txt and it should open on the new window 300x500, did you mean new browser window? because the heights and width make no difference when open on the same browser
Mac
March 11, 2013 07:28AM
A new browser window with those dimensions.
March 11, 2013 11:12AM
Hi Mac
I'm struggling to understand how are we supposed to upload the text file since the forum only allows us to upload an image and a link or are we
supposed to paste the code in the forum?
March 11, 2013 11:43AM
Check tutorial 101
March 12, 2013 12:01AM
Ok so You have to rectify that in the tutorial letter because there is a difference between a new window and a new browser window,

Thanks
Mac
March 12, 2013 07:38AM
48245194-docmedia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ok so You have to rectify that in the tutorial
> letter because there is a difference between a new
> window and a new browser window,
>
> Thanks

The app runs in a browser, so a new window is a new browser window.
March 12, 2013 11:20AM
@ 47557966- I'm having a same problem as 46174087_Manda.and the tutorial letter that you are referring to, doesn't explain much....please Mac intervene.
Mac
March 12, 2013 12:29PM
This is knowledge you should have from a previous module.

Nevertheless, you create a single web page index.php as described in the tut letter. On this page there is a link to text file that contains your code. Because it is a text file, the PHP code of your page will show, and not the output . This text file opens up in a new browser window.

The previous forums has information on this text file - here are two links.

http://osprey.unisa.ac.za/phorum/read.php?697,163523
http://osprey.unisa.ac.za/phorum/read.php?703,174671
Unclear Assignment 01 Submission instructions
March 17, 2013 10:35PM
[[u]b]In Tutorial letter 101 document[/b][/u]
It says: This assignment will consist of a single web page (index.php) on your homepage on freewebhostingarea (or a server of your choice) that is completely programmed in the PHP language (that is, you must use PHP to generate the page in its entirety).

In webhostingarea.pdf document
It says: Open Notepad on your PC. Type your name, surname and student number (as explained in the tutorial letter) and save the file as index.html.

Using the File Manager from the member area here above, upload this file to your web site (read your email you received for the FTP login details).

I’m getting confused here, can someone please clarify this situation.
Do we upload the index.php file with our code to our free hosted sites or do we just upload the index .html file with our name, surname and student number.
Mac
March 18, 2013 05:49AM
Tut 101 is what you should follow.
March 19, 2013 12:47PM
Mr Mac
I am also confused with the procedures to submit assignment one because in this osprey page i don't see how am i suppose to upload that text file,and i have red tut 101 so many times and i cant find anything explaining about submission. please clarify that for me please or anyone who can help please come forward.

Thanks.
March 19, 2013 01:25PM
Check the assignment submission pdf file under resources.
Mac
March 20, 2013 08:02AM
8.3 in tut 101 - Please read the document.... resources folder.
March 22, 2013 11:36AM
hi there

i have 2 problems.

1. when i click on the link on my webpage, named 'code', it opens a new browser window, as per specifications, but returns an error "page cannot be found." should i also upload the text document, that has my code on it, to my website, so that the code is visible in the window?

2. my webpage runs on my local server, but when i visit my webpage , i only see the link named code, and not all the other info that shows when i run it on my local server. am i doing something wrong? is my code missing something?
Mac
March 22, 2013 12:02PM
Firstly, why are you leaving it till the day of submission hmmm?

Of course you must upload the text file - how else will the server access the text file that is on your personal computer?

As for the 2nd question, if the code was running on your PC, your links are correct and the pages was uploaded to the server then there is no reason why it will not work.
March 22, 2013 12:53PM
so i figured out whats wrong. in the document named webhostingarea.pdf, thats on the cd, you had said we should save the document as .html. and i did, which is why it wasnt working.
so i went and deleted it. and uploaded the index.php.

now thats working.
Mac
March 22, 2013 01:18PM
Now that you give the answer your questions are even more confusing to me smiling smiley

Nevertheless, I am not aware that they have limited it to index.php only - are you sure?
Mac
March 22, 2013 01:43PM
Mmm. It now did not even allow me to upload a html file with php in it. How then did you manage to upload it? And which server was it? Maybe this is only an some of the server - I tried 6te.net now.
March 22, 2013 03:01PM
Hi Mac,

where is the web upload facility on osprey? I cant seem to find it.

Craig
March 22, 2013 03:05PM
Nevermind
I typed the url xxxxx Edited. No, don't type it here.... malicious code can be uploaded and ran from here smiling smiley
March 22, 2013 07:19PM
was using the 6te.net server as well.

i dont know how it uploaded, but it did.

now that its working, i'm not sure whats supposed to happed when i click on the link. been at this the whole day.
is the text document supposed to display the code on the window?

mine is just showing the link. i think its executing the file, totally ignoring the php bit, and only interpreteting the javascript bit.

this is so confusing....

you are right. why do we always wait for last minute.
March 24, 2013 04:02PM
hey can any help me with the way the txt file is uploaded nt sure wether i dd the right thing angry smiley
R
March 29, 2013 01:55AM
Hey Guys

Just to be sure.
The Final Portfolio wont be going onto free PHP website?I did see in the tutorial letter they said you should complete the app on you PC then upload it but
In the PORTFOLIO SUBMISSION PROCEDURES there was nothing mentioned about a PHP website for the portfolio?
I know we had to for Assignment 1.

Thanks
R
March 29, 2013 11:59AM
Never mind i read it a third time and saw that a Text file should be added containing the link sad smiley

But now im having problems uploading my website files to the Osprey website.If I click on the link to upload it brings me to a link less page that says:

ICT2613/ICT3612 assignment/portfolio submission facility

The server records an exact time record of your submission. Due time is tonight at 23h59:59. It will stay open till tomorrow, but late submissions will be penalized accordingly.

Click the earth icon to select your file.

If you intend to upload code that is not yours (i.e. you have not constructed the code but just changed stuff here and there from code borrowed from your mate, i.e. do not understand what you did except how to pass without any effort whatsoever), don't bother.

If for some reason you experience a problem with uploading a text file, just zip the file using the same naming convention.

DO NOT EMAIL YOUR CODE TO ME - READ THE SUBMISSION DOCUMENT!

CLOSED

No earth icon for me sad smiley
April 01, 2013 11:25AM
I don't see any facility for uploading assignments and portfolios here on Osprey,help please!
April 02, 2013 08:51PM
Hi,

I thought that all assignment 1 submissions were accepted till 15th April due to SA Post Office strike?

Thanks
Mac
April 03, 2013 09:14AM
The extension was granted on the 28th of March, 8 days after the due date when assignments had to be submitted via Osprey/myUnisa, which was not affected by the postal strike?

It appears to be your lucky day since it was made clear that late assignments will not be accepted....

But you can still submit your URL via myUnisa. Since your code needs to be available on your site, there is no need to submit via Osprey in this case.
April 04, 2013 03:42PM
Hi Mac,

When is assignment grades due?

Thanks,

Simon.
Mac
April 05, 2013 07:55AM
19 April
avatar Re: Assignment submission procedure
April 24, 2013 02:56PM
Hallo Prof. van der Merwe.
I read through the updated PORTFOLIO SUBMISSION PROCEDURES (released today) and noted that no reference is made to the myUnisa upload of any kind for the portfolio. Just for clarification sake we do not upload anything to myUnisa at all or should we upload the text file again? I am asking as myUnisa has an open submit due date.
Mac
April 24, 2013 04:45PM
Thank you for this question. No submission to myUnisa at all - the portfolio is exclusively uploaded to Osprey, which I will open nearer the time.

It describes in detail, for the portfolio, the zip file you need to upload.
April 25, 2013 06:56AM
Regarding portfolio.
Do our sites still need the link to our code, (guess not, considering you will have zip file)
just want to make sure.

Thank you
Mac
April 25, 2013 07:45AM
That has not changed. A link to your code must be there.
April 25, 2013 03:34PM
Hi Mac I recieved an sms today says that i got 0% percent on my assigment my URL is http://45222797.freevar.com and
April 25, 2013 03:39PM
Mr Mac
I am also confused with the procedures to submit assignment one because in this osprey page i don't see how am i suppose to upload that text file,and i have red tut 101 so many times and i cant find anything explaining about submission. please clarify that for me please or anyone who can help please come forward
April 25, 2013 06:06PM
@ ssikhonde....
there was a message on ospray as well as a how to do doc a on my unisa explaining how to do everything
step for step...
think there was a specific link to the ospray site

as for your site...
there is no link to display the code you have writen...
wait ehhh. ok there is...
you made it seriously difficult to find... (please go check her site and see if you can find it... is like where is waldo game)

sorry dont mean to be rude
(maybe Mac just couldn't find the link)

The only way I found it was by looking at source and realising there is a hreff to a txt file on the page...
Mac
April 26, 2013 08:33AM
You submitted it via myUnisa only, which I nevertheless accepted and that is not the URL you provided.
April 26, 2013 01:25PM
whahaha... so it was an attempted steal
sorry.... but that is hilarious
nearly felt bad for you.

Ssikhonde - 0
Mac - 1
May 08, 2013 06:24PM
Hallo Mac,

Maybe it is an irrelevant question.I know we need to attach our Portfolio code as part of the zipped folder. But do we also need to add the code to the textfile as described in the step2 of the portfolio submission procedure?
Just want to confirm that nothing needs to be submitted to MyUnisa?

Thank you

R Van Zyl
Mac
May 09, 2013 07:33AM
No myUnisa

The txt file contains only the URL
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login