Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Installation of modules

Posted by vad 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
vad
Installation of modules
January 13, 2010 10:58AM
I received two CD's. I am running Windows Vista. I have read the tut101_2010.pdf. In order to perform the first step in the installation process, could someone give me the initial start?
Mac
Re: Installation of modules
January 13, 2010 03:56PM
Strictly speaking this course only starts 1 Feb, but smiling smiley
Click on xampp-win32-1.5.3a-installer.exe
and see http://keito.me/tutorials/xampp from point two.
And share your knowledge gained here!
vad
January 14, 2010 07:39PM
Thanks for replying. I clicked on xampp-win32-1.5.3a-installer.exe. Does it matter if I install xampp-win32-1.4.2 or xampp-win32-1.5.5?

I have also installed phpdesigner2007pe_setup. I started the server. I then launched internet explorer and entered the following URL: [localhost]. I received the following:

Welcome to XAMPP for Windows Version 1.5.3a
Congratulations:
You successfully installed XAMPP on this system!

I therefore conclude that Apache is up and running.
vad
January 14, 2010 08:27PM
How do I delete a post that I entered from this discussion forum?
vad
January 14, 2010 08:38PM
I typed in the PHP script( steps 1 - 4 ) on page 7 of Masterskills. I received the following error message:

Object not found!
The requested URL could not be found on the server. Unless you have entered the URL manually, please check your spelling and try again.

If you think this is a malfunction of the server, please inform the Webmaster thereof.

Error 404
01/14/10 19:55:39
Apache/2.2.2 (Win32) DAV / 2 mod_ssl/2.2.2 OpenSSL/0.9.8b mod_autoindex_color PHP/5.1.4
Mac
January 15, 2010 06:44AM
Go and search the previous forums - the answer is there. Saving in wrong directory/calling wrong directory. Remember we place a high premium on you making use of forums to find answers which we consider an essential skill if you want to progress in PHP. To prove the point, I could have provided the answer already sad smiley

There should be a delete button under your message.
avatar Re: Installation of modules
January 24, 2010 03:05PM
i finally managed to do lesson 1 even thou i still struggle to setup local server anyone help me please I'm struggling I have java net beans that I can run PHP scripts with and PHP designer 7 and my i use windows 7 Professional

gbakamela [77234715]
Mac
January 25, 2010 06:37AM
Have you searched the previous forums? From the information you provide it could be anything..... http://osprey.unisa.ac.za/phorum/read.php?107,30795
Or see http://keito.me/tutorials/xampp from point two.
January 25, 2010 01:38PM
It took me 3 hours but I eventually managed to get the server working and reading Task 1B-1. What a relieve.
Mac
January 25, 2010 03:10PM
eye popping smiley It should not take more than 5 clicks. One problem is that people have Internet Information Server (IIS) running. It must be switched off if you want to run XAMPP. See previous forums. OR Google. Every installation is different depending on your PC setup. But for MOST people not more than 5 clicks.
January 26, 2010 12:48PM
Hi Mac

Working almost exclusively on a MAC (..lol), hope it won't be much of a problem for me.
...and by the way plz welcome me to PHP course
Mac
January 26, 2010 01:02PM
You will have to downlaod XAMPP for Mac... Now that I have 3 extra courses over and above the two here, from this year I'll welcome you when the course starts officially smiling smiley
Nothing stops you to start thread introducing yourself though!!!
Anonymous User
February 15, 2010 09:57AM
Hi

I have managed to install XAMPP and can access the local host but as soon as I
want to access the StudentPHP file on the local host
it gives me the following error

object not found!

The requested URL was not found on this server. If you entered the URL manually please check your spelling and try again.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

Error 404
localhost
02/15/10 09:42:37
Apache/2.2.2 (Win32) DAV/2 mod_ssl/2.2.2 OpenSSL/0.9.8b mod_autoindex_color PHP/5.1.4

can any body pleas help if you know wat the problem is
Mac
February 15, 2010 11:10AM
Answered in a previous PHP forum - http://osprey.unisa.ac.za/phorum/read.php?205,56357
Read from the 3 post in that threat by sandile.
Anonymous User
February 15, 2010 12:57PM
Hi Mac
thanks for the reply I have managed to solved the problem
Mac
February 15, 2010 02:29PM
Let us know what you did - maybe you say it in a way that will help future students with their specific problems.....!
February 25, 2010 01:46PM
I did it last night and cannot remember exactly the steps
But remember Xampp is running over PHP,Msql,A, different than the separate installations. I used the prescribed book to verify the installation done by Xampp install. Noticed all files referred to in the prescribed book exist with small changes in the directory paths. Normally \Xampp included.
For the files to run on local host you need to identify the file htdocs in the \Xampp dir and save it to be able to be read per url request.
March 10, 2010 08:23AM
I'm Officially screwed up the first time i got everything was working then my operating system crashed then everything stop working i cant add any file to the sever but i dot get //localhost/xamp/ but anything that follows it give me error (certificate expired) now i'm sitting with a reality that I'm gonna fail

gbakamela [77234715]
vad
March 10, 2010 01:24PM
Can you switch your computer on? Yes or No? What is the status when you boot your computer the first time? Is your OS loaded as normal?
March 10, 2010 02:34PM
my computer is working normally even other applications are working the problem is local sever doesn't work properly for instead if you type //localhost/ or //127.0.0.1/ or my login user ID to my Pc it open page //127.0.0.1/xamp/adminMySql/
if i use php designer if flash once then it doesn't display on the browser only error messages that say certificate is expired or cannot find file

gbakamela [77234715]
Mac
March 10, 2010 03:15PM
Not sure what is going one here. Your PC may have a trillion other stuff on it that cause this mess. In general - XAMPP has been known to have a problem if Skype is installed - it uses the same port (consider a port to mean the "ear" of your computer waiting for, and listening to requests ) which means you either configure Skype to use another port, or XAMPP to listen to another port. Google for support. Also, you may have IIS running (Internet Information Server, the Windows equivalent of Apache which is the A in xAmpp). Same issues. Best to un-install IIS.

I suspect it has to do with either that, or you are on a network, since if you login with your user ID (which has NOTHING to do with XAMPP!!!) it opens up a localhost page, which leads me to believe that the homepage of your PC has changed - and that can only happen in a network environment (you may have a network environment set up even though you are not physically connected to a network).

I cannot give your more advice. I am prepared to give you time to resolve this on your own steam (this is not a PC hardware/software/maintenance) course and you can finish the course next semester. You will have to pay registration fees only. This is not an invite to others to spam me with tearful stories about why they should also be allowed to extend their course. You can private message me if you disagree.

Don't use PHP designer. Use Notepad.

Finally, try reducing the URL to just //127.0.0.1/xamp/, or just //127.0.0.1/your_directory when you start running your code (your files to be saved in your_directory, a sub-directory created under the htdocs directory. Read this a few times to make sure you get it right.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login