Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

assignment and portfolio

Posted by Mac 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Re: assignment and portfolio
November 05, 2013 01:56PM
Hi I am really confused here, I think I will start over again next year and pay more attention in order to understand the whole thing. My code gives me error and I can't rectify where the problem is.
Mac
November 05, 2013 04:07PM
One of the issues students raised on a recent road show (where the SoC go directly to the students and ask them what they want/our shortcomings) is that they graduate without the skills industry requires. No qualification can fully prepare you for industry - there simply is no time. Universities do not do vocational training (although we try hard). I understand the requirements for this module is steep. But it is a balancing act. This module will not take a back seat to other modules. I have a job to do. And if think YOU are busy - try being a lecturer smiling smiley smiling smiley Equally, if you wait until the last minute, you are bound to fail sad smiley

I do think you made the right decision though - no half measures. The extra money you will have to pay for re-registering will stand you well in years to come - if you are committed. See it that way.

Also note that from next year, except if you receive a supp, this module has bee redesigned (it includes a new handbook - the BEST ever!!! I am so excited!). Hands on as always... but no portfolio to submit. Exam will test your skills. If you are committed (that word again), you will walk away as an accomplished PHP/MySQL programmer, and just maybe... a career you never anticipated.

Finally, saying your code gave you an error is not good enough sad smiley Adopt the group work environment this module affords you (through this forum next year) and it may just become easier.
November 06, 2013 09:20AM
I am also planning to start from scratch next year. I did most of the work required for the profile and seriously thought that I can leave the cleaning and commenting for the last few days. This has proven that even though it is the most easier thing to do it is also the most time consuming. Just a pity that we will have to write an exam as doing the project has given me more experience than studying for an exam. Wish all those good luck that have submitted their profile.
November 06, 2013 11:00AM
if i had 'home.php' instead of 'player_list.php' will they deduct marks ?
Mac
November 06, 2013 05:03PM
30627303 Naaz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>Just a pity that we will have to write
> an exam as doing the project has given me more
> experience than studying for an exam. Wish all
> those good luck that have submitted their profile.

The new approach is more practical... in fact, the newly prescribed handbook is 120% hands-on. I have never been so excited about a prescribed handbook as this one!!!

I quote from the 2014 tut letter:

From the outset we want to make it clear that our intention with this course is for you to become an accomplished PHP/MySQL programmer. Prospective employers are not interested in which courses you have successfully completed - they are interested in what you know and in your demonstrated range of skills. For this reason, the overarching instructional and learning objectives of this course are knowledge and application.

Knowledge objective: To ensure students are able to talk intelligently about the topics that are presented in this course. Skills tested are identifying, describing, and explaining the required concepts, terms, and procedures. Two summative assessments (assignments) will test knowledge.
Applied objective: In applying such knowledge, students will be required to complete, develop and adapt a wide range of practical applications. These applications, however, will not be formally assessed by us. Rather, and in adopting a group work approach, the module forum will be used as a collaborative teaching and learning environment where you can interact with the lecturer and fellow students (asynchronously) to ensure successful completion of the practical exercises and applications. The formative assessment (exam) will test both knowledge and application.

This module is followed by ICT3612 (Advanced Internet Programming). Successful completion of both these courses will place you in the best interview space possible. For this reason, we trust that you will not approach these modules with a narrow-minded purpose to “tick another module off my list”, but to learn PHP/MySQL!

You work through the handbook and guidelines... you will be OK. It is is simple as that. The assignments are MCQ, as is half the exam. However, you do not work through the exercises you will not pass. I need to deliver competent programmers to industry - not plagiarizers. It is as simple as that, and what (committed) students and industry expect from us.
November 07, 2013 02:15PM
Hi,

It does sounds interesting. The module this year were challenging but I was able to do a lot of research which aid me in getting to know PHP especially the SQL part. Im sure that with the knowledge I have now I will not give up. This course are something that you can utilised in your workplace especially if you want to create a small database and I am thankful with all the assistance I received from the fellow students especially Bigron and the lecturer.
Mac
November 07, 2013 03:29PM
Good on you then!
November 12, 2013 09:43AM
Hi Mac

I uploaded my site on the due date and all my links to my text files which include the code were working now when i checked the site its not

will marks be deducted for this can i still fix these pages
Mac
November 13, 2013 07:12AM
We mark what we see when we mark it... how/whne you manage the process is up to you
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login