Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

assignment and portfolio

Posted by Mac 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Mac
assignment and portfolio
July 26, 2013 08:26AM
Remember:

- we mark your working web site page/s. The code you submit is to check what you have done, or not done. We cannot award you a mark on your code alone, so no working web site page/s, no marks.
- you need to keep your site alive until your receive your mark.
- name your submission correctly.
- read the submission document available on myUnisa under the resources folder.
- do not submit to myUnisa, unless specifically stated. In particular, myUnisa cannot accept zipped files.
- no exam
Re: assignment and portfolio
July 26, 2013 02:47PM
Hi Mac

Can we include the PHP coding of Assignment 1 inside an HTML page or does the enitre page need to be PHP?

Kind regards,
Mac
July 26, 2013 03:18PM
Everything PHP
July 26, 2013 03:19PM
Thank you
avatar Re: assignment and portfolio
July 27, 2013 08:24PM
I assume marks will be shown next to assignment under the myunisa page?
Mac
July 29, 2013 08:11AM
Yip.
July 29, 2013 03:51PM
Hi slightly off topic but looks like you guys can give me the best advice.

I want to start my assignment asap however I live in Thailand and it is near impossible for me to find the prescribed book PHP: The complete reference by MC Graw-Hill publishers. So what I did was I ordered it through Kalahari.com but its gonna take a month to reach me!

Can anyone advice me on an alternative book that I can use to learn the basic skills I will need to do assignment 1?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated
July 29, 2013 04:11PM
Have a look at -

www.it-ebooks.info

There are many good free books, including for PHP

Beginning PHP 5.3
Beginning PHP and mySQL

(Or just Google "PHP pdf" or similar)

There are also many good PHP tutorials on the internet -

www.w3schools.com
www.tizag.com

(Or Google "PHP tutorial" or similar)
July 29, 2013 05:04PM
timothycoetzee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi slightly off topic but looks like you guys can
> give me the best advice.
>
> I want to start my assignment asap however I live
> in Thailand and it is near impossible for me to
> find the prescribed book PHP: The complete
> reference by MC Graw-Hill publishers
. So
> what I did was I ordered it through Kalahari.com
> but its gonna take a month to reach me!
>
> Can anyone advice me on an alternative book
> that I can use to learn the basic skills I will
> need to do assignment 1?
>
> Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Google and the homeandlearn resource you can download from the module's MyUnisa page should be enough to get you through assignment 1 quite easily.
July 30, 2013 05:09AM
Thanks for help. I downloaded PHP: A beginners guide also from mcgraw hill publishers from the piratebay.
July 31, 2013 02:41PM
Quick question when submitting assignment and portfolio am I allow to use a program such as Adobe Dreamweaver when developing??
I know when I did Javascript last year we were not allowed to use any sort of program except notepad which I found ridiculous.
Thanks in advance
Mac
July 31, 2013 02:53PM
You can use it as an editor, but not any of its advanced functions that create, for example, a table listing just by point and click, i.e. it creates the complete code for you. Nor are you allowed to use frameworks. At some point, you need to get your hands dirty and this course is not about "Visual PHP". It is easy to pick up when such apps are used to create code - very advanced Ajax coding is more often than not included. My grandmother can point and click!
August 08, 2013 02:06PM
I'd like to ask something off topic please.

I just finished my registration on Osprey.
My question is, If I just used my student number as the username. Would I be in trouble?
Mac
August 08, 2013 02:37PM
No, you can use what you want - however, you should have posted a new topic in asking this question, as per the tut letter smiling smiley
August 13, 2013 10:57AM
HI, I would like to install PHP software in my computer but I'm not sure if it is included in the CD I have received with my study material.
Can anyone please help me.
August 14, 2013 04:25PM
hello guys my name is Ngonie,living in Mthatha and this is my first time to do this module.l hope l wil get the maximun help that is necessary to pass this modulesmile
Mac
August 15, 2013 07:46AM
41110641 - Nathaniel Wrote:
> HI, I would like to install PHP software in my
> computer but I'm not sure if it is included in the
> CD I have received with my study material.
> Can anyone please help me.

Yes it is.
August 27, 2013 11:13AM
Ok great so Ive done most of the assignment , having a bit of an issue with the javascript window , but that's not why I'm posting....

Once we have completed Assignment 1 and loaded it onto the freehosting website , then what do we do , who do we send the link to ?

Or where do we post the link for our assignment so that i ensure it gets marked ?
Mac
August 27, 2013 12:47PM
8.3 tut letter.
September 02, 2013 06:35PM
man I can breathe now! i am through with ass1 hopefully i will submit it tomorrow but it was a really close one. I was nearly overwhelmed by all the assignments due date for i registered late. but frankly i am "loving" this module. I intend on working earnestly to get it right. i am sure that the result we'll get from ass1 will motivate us to work even harder.
September 03, 2013 10:00AM
I'm doing supplementary, and i don't know if i should re-submit my assignment or not, because myunisa doesn't give me that option.
And i've made changes to the url.....Help pls
September 03, 2013 12:10PM
mac Wrote:
> Remember:
>
> - we mark your working web site page/s. The code
> you submit is to check what you have done, or not
> done. We cannot award you a mark on your code
> alone, so no working web site page/s, no marks.
> - you need to keep your site alive until your
> receive your mark.
> - name your submission correctly.
> - read the submission document available on
> myUnisa under the resources folder.
> - do not submit to myUnisa, unless specifically
> stated. In particular, myUnisa cannot accept
> zipped files.
> - no exam

Hi Mac

I just did a mistake on the naming of the file
I used ICT2612_Assignment_Sem2_2013_ BasileHJ _1234567.txt instead of using ICT2613_Assignment_Sem2_2013_ BasileHJ _1234567.txt (Obviously i used my details)
I then renamed the notepad file to the right Subject code and submitted again.
what does this mean for me? Should i be worried because now i have submitted 2 files with different file names.

regards
Mac
September 04, 2013 08:08AM
46313060-Bill - you submit as you did last semester - read your submission document that shows how name a supp.

48547158-Nyaki - No, that is fine
September 04, 2013 11:54PM
i know about the naming convention, i'm talking about the
assignment
because i've made changes to the url
from my last semester assignment.
what i'm worried about is will you be able to find my site!!!!
September 05, 2013 12:03AM
i re-submited my last semester assignment with the new url, hope it's not a problem!!!
September 06, 2013 09:44AM
I have hosted my assignment 1 on a 6te.net server so my question
is it advisable to host my webpages at any server other than freeoda.com as
stated in the tutorial letter 101.
September 06, 2013 10:17AM
49491857_Ashlliegh Murova Wrote:
> I have hosted my assignment 1 on a 6te.net server
> so my question
> is it advisable to host my webpages at any server
> other than freeoda.com as
> stated in the tutorial letter 101.

You can host anywhere as long as the hosting site supports PHP
September 17, 2013 11:40AM
Hi mac
From the tut letter the index page must contain two links: login & fixtures.

This page looks like it contain only HTML code no php code or am I wrong?

Can i add a picture or a logo to spice up my page to look attractive?
Mac
September 17, 2013 12:01PM
You can use HTML or echo the links. You can spice up yes.
September 17, 2013 01:35PM
Thanks Mac I decided to echo the links.

I used the include function on top of my index page for (connect.php).

So as i specified in the connect.php that when connected must echo "Database Found".

It displays Database Found on top of the index page as well.

Is it okay or should I change in the connect.php that it echo blank string?
Mac
September 17, 2013 03:24PM
In general terms, because we are reliant on a db connection which we do not necessarily have control over, you should present the user with an apology. That said, it still stinks sad smiley
September 30, 2013 03:47PM
Hi Mac,

I would like to find out if you are maybe able to compile a tutorial with print screens with an example of how our sites should look

I think it would be beneficial to all of the students
Mac
September 30, 2013 04:26PM
It is described in the tut letter - just not visually. What is not described is part of the challenge. Any other way I could just have had provided a MCQ...
October 01, 2013 03:41PM
With regards to the Portfolio and mySql :

Can we use the mySql in PHP admin of xammp to build our database and tables for the sports application, or is is better to use the mySql thru command prompt as stated in the text book ?
how do we then export the database to the free hosting website , or do we rebuild the database on the sites administration section ?
Mac
October 01, 2013 03:57PM
That is your choice. Personal opinion - export from XAMPP to a .sql file then import.

Command line... tedious (except if you like 3 finger presses and lots of tabs - as opposed to two clicks to get the job done smiling smiley) There is a place, however, for command line when db's get too large - phpMyAdmin can only handle so much. Not relevant here, but good to know - and the handbook sensitizes you to this.

Read here:

https://kb.mediatemple.net/questions/129/Export+and+import+MySQL+databases#gs
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/smb-technologist/import-and-export-databases-using-phpmyadmin/
October 07, 2013 09:25AM
hi mac

i have a supp but my site has been closed, how am i going to submit my portfolio since it has been closed? should i create a new webhosting site?
October 08, 2013 04:44PM
When you say the application must be coded intirely with PHP only,does that html is not allowd,meaning we have to echo each and and every tag with php instead of typing all htmll tags normaly
October 08, 2013 09:22PM
I can not seem to be winning with the portfolio, the problem is that the database i created with phpmyadmin does not link with the database i created with the code
October 08, 2013 09:57PM
47766247 Wrote:
> I can not seem to be winning with the portfolio,
> the problem is that the database i created with
> phpmyadmin does not link with the database i
> created with the code

Doesn't really make sense. Have you created 2 databases ? How / why are you trying to link them ?

or, do you mean you have created a database with phpMyAdmin and cannot connect to it with your code.
If so, there is an error with your connect.php script.
October 10, 2013 09:12PM
I submitted my assignment 1 without using freewebhosting area because of the complications i faced and my address is www.thabane.tk, i have not received results yet i do not know what happened. My assignment appears on my Unisa when i click view under assignments but no marks
Mac
October 11, 2013 08:21AM
The submission document clearly states that you do not submit through myUnisa
October 11, 2013 12:16PM
Dear Mac, Tshepo_sibiya,

The question about coding everything in php I dont understand it. Tshepo asked this as well. So do we need to echo every html in our php pages.

for example i need to draw up a table header is there any reason to echo it as well.

Maybe it makes sense that unisa want to test our abilities and encourages in using php variables and functions and other its functions.

All the best on portfolio fellow students.
October 11, 2013 05:55PM
I did not submit through my unisa but osprey
October 14, 2013 09:20AM
nyokahombe [ PM ]
Re: assignment and portfolio new
three days ago

Dear Mac, Tshepo_sibiya,

The question about coding everything in php I dont understand it. Tshepo asked this as well. So do we need to echo every html in our php pages.

for example i need to draw up a table header is there any reason to echo it as well.

Maybe it makes sense that unisa want to test our abilities and encourages in using php variables and functions and other its functions.

All the best on portfolio fellow students.

Its not a must to echo ur html codes but make sure that all your functions, mysql clauses etc are enclosed in php.
October 14, 2013 09:28AM
Dear Mr Mac

I have hosted my portfolio but the problem is when all the credidential password and username are name are correctly entered l get this page http://e.freewebhostingarea.com/not-found.html
but on the localhost everything seems to be working.
Portfolio Marking in October ?
October 28, 2013 05:12PM
I handed in my portfolio earlier in the month , when i handed it in everything seemed to be working awesome so i left i as it was , when i looked at it again this week sometime just to ensure it was still good , it would not connect to server , i figured out the problem and corrected it . Basically my question is , you guys only start marking the assignments in November right ? If by any chance you did mark it before , please take a look at mine again , cuz as it stood for most of this month the database was actually held by my assignment user name and anyway to cut a long story short , please just look at it again if you did decide to do some marking early , i did see a post or two of you not being available this month , so if you only marking next month please just tell me so my mind can be at ease , thanks .
Mac
October 29, 2013 07:17AM
- Only the assignment required the header to be echoed.
- I cannot comment on credentials and sites not showing as I do not know what you have done/not done/what link you are using. But clearly you are not doing something correct as it is not working...
- we only start marking after the due date
November 03, 2013 01:07AM
Hi Mac,

Now I have just found out my public fixture page its not using javascript to open my source code. So if you guys mark my portfolio will I be personalised for that.

I have also noticed I have missed a closing tag in my input in one of my form and this gives not a right output.

Its only two section to change - one to bind a javascript function to open a new window to source code AND the second one just to add a closing tag /> to my input.

Please would you let me know if I can make this changes to my site - OR must I make changes to the code on my local machine and repost my portfolio.

I agree with Nokulunga Ngubane an extension to due date will do. Even just for one day.

Your respond to this will be much appreciated.

Thank you
Mac
November 04, 2013 07:28AM
You can change code on your site until we mark, and I cannot say when it will be marked.
November 04, 2013 12:18PM
mac Wrote:
> You can change code on your site until we mark,
> and I cannot say when it will be marked.

Thank you Mac for replying to this.

Nyoka
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login