Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Website upload refresh

Posted by Milnay-78108276 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
avatar Re: Website upload refresh
October 09, 2013 09:10AM
Your home page must be named index.html. That is the page that will be loaded when somebody accesses your website.
If you do not have a file named index.html, your website will not auto-load, and the user would have to specify a specific page name, which they would not know.

You will then have to change all links to index.html.

Desktop is not the best place to store things. If you store everything there your computer will get very messy very quickly.
Somewhere like "MyDocuments" would be better, create separate directories for each project.
That is also much easier for making backups.
Re: Website upload refresh
October 09, 2013 09:17AM
Ok i will change everything.

But i could still not find the desktop to locate my folder will all my files in. How do i get this from filezilla?
October 09, 2013 09:29AM
Milnay-78108276 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ok i will change everything.
>
> But i could still not find the desktop to locate
> my folder will all my files in. How do i get this
> from filezilla?

Use the scrollbar on the right in the "Local Site" pane to scroll right up to the top.
The Desktop is the very top entry.

Click on the -ve boxes to close any directories you do not want to see, and on the +ve boxes to open up directories so that you can see the sub-directories and files.
October 09, 2013 12:48PM
The one right at the top is "document revisions" i cant see any desktop. Is there a way i can send u a screenshot?
October 09, 2013 01:55PM
You can insert images right here.

Also note that "Desktop" is a sub-directory of "Documents and Settings", and that each user on your computer has their own desktop.
October 09, 2013 02:22PM
Also note -

That if you close all the directories (click on the -ve boxes), you should end up with only the Desktop with a +ve box.

If you click on that, you should see My Documents, and My Computer.

"Documents and Settings" is a sub-directory of My Computer.
October 09, 2013 02:50PM
i dont see any -ve boxes.. i can only insert images url. i want to add screen grap for you to see what i see. My folder is on my desktop
October 09, 2013 03:02PM
i accidentally found it..
October 09, 2013 04:05PM
Ok, i managed to load it. I have an image folder. Inside that there is a few images and some have different folders inside that image folder. Those images is not displaying... How do i fix this? If i take it out the links will not work correctly?
October 09, 2013 04:15PM
You must specify the correct path to the images when you want to use them.

The images directories / sub-directories that you have created should be in the same relative position as on your own computer - then they would work correctly.

Example - images is a sub-directory of the project directory -

Language: HTML
src="images/myImage.jpg"

Sub-directory of images -

Language: HTML
src="images/otherimages/golden.jpg"

PS - Did you upload all the images as well ?
October 09, 2013 04:23PM
Yea it all works fine from my PC and i uploaded the entire images folder and some work and others dont. Some of the html link also dont work now.. What do i check for to figure out this?
October 09, 2013 04:35PM
Check capitalization of directory names, image names, and links src etc. All must be exactly the same.

You developed your website on a Windows computer (which is not case sensitive), and have uploaded it to a Linux server (which is case sensitive).

Eg:

This would work on a Windows computer, but not on a Linux computer.

src="images/myImage.jpg"

Actual image name - MYImage.jpg
October 09, 2013 05:37PM
The problem is capitalization. All your images in the buttons sub-directory for example, have a Capital first letter, but your links are all lowercase.
Change all your image names to lowercase only.
October 09, 2013 07:42PM
I definitely changed all the case the same but its not making a difference. Also uploaded the images and index file again..
October 09, 2013 07:50PM
The images in your "buttons" sub-directory still all have Capital first letters.

Either change the images names to all lowercase, or change your links to match the capitalization of the image names.
October 09, 2013 07:54PM
Milnay-78108276 Wrote:
> I definitely changed all the case the same but its
> not making a difference. Also uploaded the images
> and index file again..

When you uploaded the files / images again you should have got a message that they already exist - you would then have had a choice to replace the existing files or not.
Perhaps you chose the option not to replace them ?
October 09, 2013 08:02PM
You do not have to upload the files / images to rename them.
Just log on with FileZilla, highlight the required file / image, right-click and then "Rename". Just re-enter the name with the correct capitalization.
October 09, 2013 09:44PM
i forgot to delete the old folder, the buttons is working now!! Now the next step.. Whys is the links from the index file to another html page in the site not working?
October 09, 2013 10:52PM
All the links, except the last 2 work - Training, About us.

Check that those files are in the project directory, and that the capitalization / names of the link name / file name are the same.

There are still some other inconsistencies - your mouse over graphic you have changed the image name to lowercase, but the link still has some capitals.
October 10, 2013 08:30AM
I got the training to work but dont see a problem with about us.. will search again.. also still busy sorting all the images out.. Thanks for the help! Do u see any other problems?
October 10, 2013 08:42AM
About Us link definitely has "Not found" error.
Albums - graphics not displaying - Does the dubbels sub-directory exist ?
October 10, 2013 09:07AM
I am still busy changing the images, but i dont see a problem with the about us yet..
October 10, 2013 09:12AM
Ok, about is sorted! Thanks for your help!
November 14, 2013 09:53AM
Milnay-78108276 Wrote:
> I have a home page (home.html) so i need to change
> everything to index.html and replace the home?
>
> I do have a folder with all my things in that is
> on the desktop. That not right?

Milnay, the problem with having too many things on the desktop is that it takes up too much RAM, which could make your computer's response time slower. If you are not 100% familiar with RAM, I will explain to you as it was explained to me. RAM stands for Random Access Memory - it is basically the short-term memory of your computer. It is used to run whatever programs and widgets is shown on your screen, so whatever programs you are running, as well as the wallpaper and desktop icons, are all open thanks to RAM. Now, the available RAM space can be "used up" - it is like filling a glass with water. If you have a lot of RAM space (like 1GB or more) and you don't use too many large programs at a time (like I do - Muse, Photoshop, Illustrator and sometimes Dreamweaver all at once), it is fine if you have many shortcuts and folders on your desktop. It is still not a very good idea, as it uses unnecessary RAM space. You can always use Core Temp from Intel (a widget that displays on your desktop) to see your RAM usage, it has helped me many times before, as I have the neck for keeping all my programs open while playing something like Sims or COD or Tomb Raider (games that also take up A LOT of RAM space).

Regarding the index file issue - the reason why you need an index.html file is because your browser uses that file to open your website, it is like the cover or first page of a book - it is the very first page of your website. You can change your home.html to index.html, or you can also use a splash page named index.html (which I love to use - see Deltaweb and Thabazimbi) and keep your Homepage separate.

If you're still struggling with FileZilla, please send me a PM and I will assist you as far as I can - I use FileZilla at work and also use it to upload my projects for this course.
November 14, 2013 01:46PM
Download Filezille & you can upload your files into your site very easy.
November 14, 2013 01:57PM
you don't have to change everything to index as index it the summary of your work and link the pages.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login