Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

OOP5_select.php security issue

Posted by FinalOracle 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
OOP5_select.php security issue
May 20, 2013 10:45AM
Hi Prof

the link to a text file you said we should add to the page contains a funciton "connect_to_db".

question:

should we also include this function?
anyone who clicks on the link will be able to see our log-in details to the database, what if someone uses our passwords and edits our sites or just delete our databases?
can i create a connect.php page and include it to OOP5_select.php, like we did in the second year portfolio for PHP?

please clarify

bye
Re: OOP5_select.php security issue
May 20, 2013 10:55AM
Hi @FinalOracle,

As I understand from our free host site creation your site name should be your student number followed by a word or phrase of your own choice...
Thus only Prof Mac & the markers will see your site & code link at bottom, other students shouldn't be able to guess your site name...
That also why we shouldn't past our url's anywhere on phorums for other students to see.

And if online foil play is suspected I guess Mac & the markers can also compare with your osprey submitted code...

Make sure your site name is to Mac's instructions he was leniant in Assignment & mentioned in other thread he won't be for the Portfolio...

Hope this helps.
May 20, 2013 12:19PM
Thanks for your input,

but i don't feel any safe, as the internet consists not only of UNISA students, but everyone around the world with access to the internet and it is easy for the next person to compromise our sites

confused smiley
May 20, 2013 02:27PM
FianlOracle, as long as you don't post the link anywhere no one will even know your site exists. Google for example needs at least one other web site to link to your site in order to index your site into their database, so your pretty much safe unless you pasted a link to your site somewhere. If somehow someone guesses your URL which is very unlikely and then decides to hack your account which is even more unlikely I'm sure Mac will or the markers will realize something is up, like 46470107 suggested above.
Mac
May 20, 2013 03:44PM
Thanks Lehan. Exactly.
May 20, 2013 04:02PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login