Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Team Selections - How it works?

Posted by 46021574.ian 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Team Selections - How it works?
May 16, 2013 09:30AM
Hello everyone,

So I am about 98% done with my site. Not completely satisfied with it yet but all my functions seems to work.

The question I have is. I have been browsing around the site a bit and from what I can gather most students use a radiobox/checkbox combo for the Team Selection Page. This got me worried.

What I did is I created an team_edit page where you can edit the data similar to the members_edit and fixtures_edit page. Instead of using the above mentioned combo I decided to stick with dropdown boxes. The dropdown boxes displays the list of players from the players_info table but limits them to the position selected. For instance if you click on the dropdown box for the standard position you will only see the players who have the standard position in the players_info table. I also concatenated the name and surname to the display the entire player name. I though about adding the player_id but decided to leave it out?

Will this method be satisfactory or should I to the radio/checkbox combo?

Thank You,
Ian
avatar Re: Team Selections - How it works?
May 16, 2013 01:11PM
I did exactly the same thing (with a minor difference) and I do not think it will be a problem. There are many different ways to code the team selection page and as long as it performs the function where the players gets added to the database under the correct positions along with the fixture id (so that the public_fixtures page works) then it should be fine.
Re: Team Selections - How it works?
May 16, 2013 01:24PM
thank you
avatar Re: Team Selections - How it works?
May 20, 2013 05:44PM
I also did not use radio buttons on this page. Instead I had a list of all the positions and nest to them a drop-down list of all the players that play that position. If there is already a team selection for that fixture then it shows those team members selected in the drop-downs.

I don't think how we solve it is as important as actually solving the problem. I agree with fighter-dude in that if the fixture page works then the team selection is probably correct.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

int get_random_number() {
return 4;
}
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login