Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Assignment 2 PHP

Posted by Acidface21 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
April 09, 2013 06:54PM
I do not like to post on forums. It is on my "Things I don't waste time on." list. But this was just so lekker! I LITERALLY coded the add/edit team and add/ edit fixtures in under 2 hours. When I started PHP I did not much care for it. I was neither eager to have this language as proficient on my CV. I also started the project with an add and a separate edit and separate delete page. But learning the cool usability of this language opened my eyes. I have to say I really enjoy the ease of use and simplicity this language perform mighty miracles. Just the "self post" makes generating pages with updated data a breeze. Thanks for adding this to our "To-Do" list. I have to admit I really enjoy PHP now. Only code comments and small tweaking left to do on the Portfolio. Then the nerve wrecking wait for the results... Good luck all!
Mac
Re: Assignment 2 PHP
April 10, 2013 08:07AM
Goood on you - that is the attitude required!
April 15, 2013 08:14AM
I'm amazed at how much faster I learn through practical activity, still busy with this assignment but really enjoying it.

cool smiley
April 22, 2013 11:39AM
Well not sure if this is correct topic to post this under but need to get some things regarding my feeling on the PHP subject of my chest...here it is.

Firstly I did not spend enough time on PHP and it took a backseat to other subjects in start of semester,
also before getting into the PHP thing I read some very negative comments on PHP on the web (This worried me)

but after starting the portfolio, allot of things changed, firstly the speed at which I picked up PHP not only got me excited about the language
but proves (at least to me) there is no better way to learn a language then to use it.
this reading up in a book only scrapes the surface and might help you pass an exam, but will not count for allot in real world.

as for the negativity on the language... well who cares, my website is infinitely more powerful than last years’ js project, the power that PHP (and a db) gives your webpage I can only
compare it to the diffidence between a photo and a movie. it is simply not in the same league.

Please don’t swop the portfolio for exams (EVER)
I want to say I love the Portfolio on the dev subjects (same with JS last year, even though some days I felt like jumping out window )
Understandably the portfolio opens a gap for cheating but their value is too important to lose, rather use an exam to check the knowledge on the portfolio like with JS.

I read a topic by Petrus about a framework and using classes, (I had no clue what MVC was and my understanding now might still be wrong)
but the project (the speed you get comfortable with PHP) and the topic by Petrus got me to challenge myself and write my own framework.
Even though the framework might not be up to scratch and not what was asked in the tutorial letter, I am incredibly happy with what I have learned the last two weeks.
I feel that the knowledge gained from these projects is of more value than any certificate (whether from unisa or elsewhere)
Mac
April 22, 2013 02:00PM
Exactly. This module is not about throwing some stuff at you, and you throwing small efforts at it in order to pass at all cost. It is about learning a language that empowers you and provide you with career options outside your formal qualifications. You can start writing online apps for friends, small companies etc. and generate an income.

Those that do not subscribe to this approach... well, they will always be at a disadvantage.
April 22, 2013 10:30PM
I need to add though that in "real life" the specifications changes a lot while you are busy with the project. At least this one is constant. smile

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

int get_random_number() {
return 4;
}
April 25, 2013 03:29PM
View file index.txt

1. <?php2. //I typed my assignment3. xxxxxxx removed
Mac
April 26, 2013 08:35AM
It appears you do not read your tutorial letters. First of all, you post complete code here, you do not post it as formatted, then you just post anywhere.
April 26, 2013 08:40AM
HAHAHA I was laughing so hard at ssikhonde post as it makes NO sense. confused smiley I am GLAD I am not the lecturer for this subject. Glad I am done with my portfolio. Trying to finish the comments as I did NOT do that continuously. Some upload problems with the DB though. TIP: So finish ahead of time so these can be sorted out before the deadline. smiling bouncing smiley
May 07, 2013 03:21PM
myunisa is giving me a bit of a headache, cant download my tutorial letters... how do i submit my portfolio?
another thing how do you combat cross browser compatability, IE is causing major problems on the layout of the page.
Mac
May 07, 2013 04:29PM
There is enough time so wait till myUnisa is online
cross browser compatibility is an HTML issue.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login