Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

which languages(programming) would we advice our professor's at Unisa to offer for IT diploma?

Posted by 46538828 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
which languages(programming) would we advice our professor's at Unisa to offer for IT diploma?
January 29, 2013 12:26PM
Hi I have a question, since I am not pleased with languages we are learning, first of all with vb.net? really, but hey guys I am not criticizing our institution, but I think we should dictate them and the job market also out there should on what we are studying and not studying, to start positive, I would like to thank them for offering javascript instead of vb script, and also I was pleased with cos1511, as introductory but why they changed it I have no idea, I hope they changed it to the better, so I think we should learn Java SE for GUI module and the focus should be on swings, applets and 2d drawings in Java SE, and I would gladly appreciate if they had let us continue with c++ until the last modules they offer of c++, like our compatriot who are doing computer science course, and discard business management, informatics 1, and intro to database, since we are going to do database design, and isn't that heavy, even if u do not have an introductory to database, one can handle it, so what's your say fellows?

By the way I can not wait to finish my portfolio, the daunting part will be uploading my scripts and html tags to this free web hosts.
Re: which languages(programming) would we advice our professor's at Unisa to offer for IT diploma?
January 29, 2013 02:32PM
Hi, glad this was asked as this is a question I had in end of last year. and was very disappointed to find out we are doing VB and Python.
(Would love some Professionals opinions..... )

I have used Python for test automation and at the time did not like it much however have change my mind after starting with this years book and also come across this website http://blog.udacity.com/2012/05/learning-to-program-why-python.html

I did enjoy C++ allot and would have loved to continue with it (I believe the Cos1511 is replaced with a programming concept course, where no language/syntax specific stuff is discussed)

I would have liked to take C# and Java as it is languages that is used very often, but that said I know people that made the switch from java to C# without any worries. (and I am sure we will be able to do the same if our understanding of programming is solid)

I would not drop the Intro to database, as i found this very helpfull and interesting and is good to get the basics 100% before taking on more.
but have not seen the database design so cannot comment on whether or not there would have been a gap?

as for getting rid of subjects I would have liked to be given a more hardware tech route and the more software Dev route for the IT DIP.
The reason is I do not feel that A+ or N+ is something I will ever use or have any interest in. (I honestly just studied those subject to pass it and have forgotten most of it already)

as for Business management and informatics (I have not completed my BSM yet but...) I feel the few business subjects we have, is great.
I have worked in the Software industry for a while, and believe that having business will help, not only when you become a Business Analyst (the obvious) but also if you become a Technical Analyst, Test analyst and Developer.
I believe that it is natural for some of the mentioned professions to go into either management for their profession or become a Project manager.

all and all only Language I am unhappy with is VB as I am sure C# or C++ on the .Net framework would have been better.
FYI if you do plan on doing your BTech then you will learn Java in that year.

" daunting part will be uploading my scripts and html tags to this free web hosts" NO IT WONT BE, is really easy and was worried about it at first
but the tutorial letter explains it really well.
Love the fact that we do a portfolio, and feels it is a way better test (and more important to learn) then the exams (I am taking last years JavaScript as an example)
Hi

I agree about the VB not being the best choice. I actually hoped GUI programming would be a bit more advance, or at least use C#. The other languages I have no problems with, PHP is a nice choice for internet programming because it isn't that hard but can still be challenging. I also agree that doing C++ up to the third year would have been a good thing.

Java in the BTech year is a good thing. I also have a friend that did the switch from Java to C# so it would be a 2 in 1 module. tongue sticking out smiley

I really like the informatics and analysis modules as I want to become an analyst some day (will probably take a while).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

int get_random_number() {
return 4;
}
Different strokes for different folkes? smiling smiley

What about not dropping any modules, but rather add more different kinds of modules and then giving us the option to pick 10 for each level, or something like that?

Then the diploma could be more focused for a DB Admin or a Software Developer or a Hardware Techie or an Analyst.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Live life...
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: which languages(programming) would we advice our professor's at Unisa to offer for IT diploma?
February 22, 2013 09:02PM
I also agree that some klanguages are not important and we end up doing unnecessary subjects
Mac
February 24, 2013 06:18PM
No wishing to start a discussion, note we are discussing this issue. It is not as easy as suggested here, but we are well aware of what is required/needed/not needed.
February 27, 2013 10:40AM
Hi Mac,

Is Java programming language offered on this diploma/btech IT?
Mac
February 27, 2013 03:02PM
This replaced Java.
R
March 30, 2013 10:27AM
ICT2613 (PHP) replaced Java?
Mac
April 02, 2013 07:40AM
Yes. This module is Internet Programming, and PHP is better suited as a language for this than Java, the later used mostly as back-end programming to banking sites etc. For the majority of students PHP provides them with better career options.
it would have been great if we could do c# and a more indepth look into c++ as i loved cos1511..i think there is a cos1512 which is a bit more advanced c++, that would have been awesome. Although i think you could take the subject for nondegree purposes but i dont we would really want credits that dont count towards anythingsmile. I was wondering if anyone has any idea on the career path an IT diploma student has? would it be possible to create a list? and also if that list will change when you complete a BTech?smile.
April 03, 2013 02:23PM
there is allot of different options,
but you will have to try decide on the path you want to follow,
I know of people that went into testing, Business analysis, and Development,
all cases (unless you are working for you uncle or dad) you start as jnr and have to keep studying short courses to further career (or just work of experience gained)
some companies offer internships where you become a software tester or jnr Dev for 2 or 3 years, and then can either switch to a BA route or switch/continue on Dev track.
can also become tech tester... automation/unit testing
is less technical then actual development but less boring then normal testing

after few years as dev or BA (people once again can switch or further career, but you will have to make own choices as you gain experience and see what your interests are)
just my opinion but work in IT, so know allot of people that been through this route already
Firstly, my apologies for bringing up such an old topic.

I think that VB.NET is not such a bad idea. C#.NET is very similar to VB.NET. I've also seen the job market steering towards VB.NET programming (though, C# still remains dominant). The question "C#.NET vs VB.NET" is completely futile.
PHP? Not to sure about that. I don't see many companies offering PHP vacancies. I think Java (EE) or ASP.NET would have been more appropriate, since the job market places more emphasis on these two technologies.

But wouldn't it be great if students could choose what type of languages they would like to do?
Like, Unisa could recommend 3 type of language and students could choose 2 extra languages.

The cos1511 module is basically an introductory to programming. It's still being done in Electrical Engineering. It's just basic stuff, with no OOP.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login