Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PHP Frameworks

Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
January 27, 2013 09:35AM
Hi

I am so excited for this module, I want to actually add this to my real portfolio.

I would like to know if we are allowed to use a PHP framework for the portfolio. I have some experience in using PHP(self taught over internet and hours of tinkering). I'm no master yet but I have done a lot of CRUD programming so creating a form, interacting with the database or using a sessions is nothing new. I have however not worked with frameworks much and would like the practice, I'm trying to get used to the MVC way of doing things. I don't have free time so it would be nice if I could do it as part of the studies. The framework I chose is CodeIgniter. If this is a problem I'm fine with writing it like it's asked in the book, it's just not a challenge for me.

Thanks
Re: PHP Frameworks
January 27, 2013 07:25PM
Good day to all,

I am supplementing this module, and I added some changes and improved my web side but now its giving me problems when I'm uploading it into the server, pages that have HTML code only work well but those that have php code in them do not display any thing in the browse and the php code doesn`t process that data into the Muscle database...

What could be the problem? any help is appreciated.

Thank You
January 27, 2013 09:27PM
You need to start a new topic. you asked a question by replying to my question. smile

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

int get_random_number() {
return 4;
}
January 28, 2013 08:57AM
Hi there

At least then u have experience in PHP, im just starting it as a new language for me,looks interesting.I don't even know what a PHP framework is,but gonna google some of those frameworks now that ur referring to.
I have C++, javascript and Python experience,so i just skip some of this chapters about Variables, loops etc, they all are the same just little different.I jump straight into the section of creating sessions, all my things works out nicely. smile,lets see what they will reply about those frameworks,maybe i can use it too.
January 28, 2013 09:04AM
g

GLaDOS, "You think you're doing some damage? Two plus two is..."
*sparking and fizzling noise*
GLaDOS, "Ten. IN BASE FOUR! I'M FINE!"
January 28, 2013 09:07AM
Read up on Model View Controller(MVC) and Content Management Systems(CMS), it seems to be all the rage in the web development world. I looked at a lot of job listings and it looks like being able to use MVC is a must in most of the jobs. Knowing how to develop for joomla, Drupal or Wordpress also seems popular in SA. This is why I ask this question, those skills are a must learn and it's a steep learning curve!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

return 4;
}
confused smiley Blank Browser
January 28, 2013 11:48AM
Good day to all,

I am supplementing this module, and I added some changes and improved my web side but now its giving me problems when I'm uploading it into the server, pages that have HTML code only work well but those that have php code in them do not display any thing in the browse and the php code doesn`t process that data into the MySql database. Mind you on my PC it is working well.

What could be the problem? any help is appreciated.

Thank You
avatar confused smiley Re: Blank Browser
January 28, 2013 12:00PM
@Zolani Zono
Post a NEW THREAD under ICT2613, this thread is for FRAMEWORK discussion.

return 4;
}
January 29, 2013 12:13PM
Hi I am also excited to be learning php, one of the leading open source, server side language of our time, hopefully it can be enriched with libraries to support, stand alone app's, not that it does not, but the are many or not many in fact but some stand alone applications written in php, for desktops, but not many people know how to develop them but its not a daunting task, one one knows how to write User Interfaces in Python, since those I saw were written with tk/turtle windows to support GUI's, so going to your framework question, I think a framework skill is not as necessary to learn at varsity because of the amount of time one has to learn and get assessed in, so I would advice you, to look for one good CMS book out there and study it on your own, especially word press or joomla, but some companies out there, they develop their own CMS, but only if a company is led/run/owned by a very technical business personel in coding, because many of this CMS restrict one to use them their own way, so if you are creative enough and know of ways you will wanna implement your CMS, to help you quicken up your web development, so writing your own CMS would be ideal, but learning those I have stated above, would be ideal and wise decision to make while job hunting, by the way in order to build your own CMS, I would advice one to build it using c/c++/perl, not java, because it would affect your perfomance, since java its slow and again not c# or any microsoft close related languages because you might have problems with platform dependence.

Regards

Monepi Mohoalali
January 29, 2013 04:42PM
I can do PHP programming already, I have been using it a lot over the last 2 years to automate most of the systems in the company I work for. I used the excel spreadsheets they passed around as a reference and created a single system from them. I think I know more than the basics we will be learning here so want to make this module challenging for myself.

I have looked at quite a lot of frameworks and decided on CodeIgniter because it is very fast and has a VERY small footprint. I have written a basic requisition system in it but haven't had the time to work in it for a while. I hope to use the framework and then instead of creating the files that are needed I could do it the MVC way. The other languages are out of the question as the language for this module is PHP and I would like to fully master it first. I read that 2013 will be the year where php will grow a lot, not that it isn't huge already...

return 4;
}
January 29, 2013 11:13PM
My apologies...
Mac
February 06, 2013 08:27AM
49940236 - PetrusPJ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi
>
> I am so excited for this module, I want to
> actually add this to my real portfolio.
>
> I would like to know if we are allowed to use a
> PHP framework for the portfolio.

Nope sad smiley Most frameworks create the code for you, and while it is commendable that you are familiar with frameworks, the focus here is on the coding of PHP code.
February 06, 2013 10:06AM
Thanks, all I needed to know before I started. smile

return 4;
}
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login