Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

General

Posted by 78044545CharlesU 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
General
October 14, 2013 09:25AM
Hi ,

How are you all doing? the course is a lot of fun and I've actually produced some php magic, but I'm definitely going to battle to meet the deadline
for meeting the minimum requirements! One of my biggest concerns is JOINS and mainlining referential integrity. Enough for now, off to have another go
at the text book, chapter six. It seems to hold one of the keys.

All the best for the next next few weeks,

CharlesU
Re: General
October 14, 2013 11:37AM
Hi CharlesU,

I'm afraid I will not make the deadline. I'm super stressed out, and as you said, the minimum requirements is what I struggle with. I think I went grey over night!!eye popping smiley.

But I will keep trying up until the cut off.

Good luck, and trust all will get something submitted.

Regards
Zelda
October 14, 2013 11:47AM
Check out this site. It has a good explanation ons JOINS

JOINS

78044545CharlesU Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi ,
>
> How are you all doing? the course is a lot
> of fun and I've actually produced some php magic,
> but I'm definitely going to battle to meet the
> deadline
> for meeting the minimum requirements! One of my
> biggest concerns is JOINS and mainlining
> referential integrity. Enough for now, off to have
> another go
> at the text book, chapter six. It seems to hold
> one of the keys.
>
> All the best for the next next few weeks,
>
> CharlesU

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning...
October 14, 2013 12:19PM
Hi,

Thanks for the link and " The Coding Horror". Laughing because the picture is exactly what I looked like in the mirror this morning!

Still laughing !!!!!

CharlesU
October 14, 2013 09:35PM
Hey guy's

Check out text book chapter 3 page 104 has some help stuff on the join....

I must say I am enjoying this course alot...

Regards,

Milan
October 16, 2013 02:23PM
Hi all,

I just started my portfolio 2 days ago, after working through all the tutorials. I'm a little bit behind as I'm doing 2 short courses, but I should be done in time smiling smiley

Nice link btw, going to be helpful!
October 28, 2013 11:15AM
Hi there,

The textbook recommends a Transaction Page . " This makes for a very clean application." Chapter 10 page 294.
it also state that two SQL queries on one page, which I managed to achieve and agree, would be inefficient. Instead a
mother and child relationship between pages is advised. Chapter 4 page 128 . Have these concepts become outdated?

CharlesU
Mac
October 28, 2013 02:59PM
Transactions are still valid - you do not want money be moved out of your account but not arrive in the other account - then it is lost in cyberspace.

That said, I do not get the link between your two questions? Maybe this will answer your query http://coders-view.blogspot.com/2012/03/how-to-use-mysql-transactions-with-php.html
October 28, 2013 05:05PM
Hi Prof Mac,

The link is, I got lost in cyberspace!! Getting two SQL queries to work on one page. Not recommended !! Whereas using a transaction page probably
wouldn't have been to heavily frowned upon. Going to cost me big points.

CharlesU
November 01, 2013 04:25PM
Hi all,

Good News !!!
I've become a grandfather today . Yes, some of us over 60's still study.
feeling great,

Regards, CharlesU
November 01, 2013 05:41PM
Congratulations Charles.

I still have to become a father. one day....!!!! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Willem
November 02, 2013 06:00PM
Hi All,

Charles, congratulations!

As for the deadline, I am stressed out of my mind because my own workload has just been about doubled in the past two weeks so have hardly gotten a chance to even think about the PHP portfolio, let alone work on it.

I now have to still get list.php to work. Then, there are some things I would like to work better, but I think I should be OK. Just very worried about list.php as I do not even know where to start...

How is everyone else doing??
November 03, 2013 09:34AM
Congrats Charles!

Hi Elizabeth, I know what you're going through, but I hope to upload today and get it out of the way!

With regards to list.php, all I can say is joins are your friends. Although covered in a few sources recommended by the course, have a look at this link, it REALLY helped me understand them better:
http://www.sitepoint.com/understanding-sql-joins-mysql-database/

-K
November 03, 2013 02:22PM
Thank you Kiroant,

Will definitely take a look. Feeling very jealous of you at the moment for being able to finish off the project today already!
Congrats with that!

Kind regards
November 14, 2013 08:40AM
Hi there,

The course is complete, nothing we can do now but wait to see whether we met the grade. The learning
goes on. Has anyone tried out " Manipulating and Creating Images with PHP ". Chapter Seven of the
text book with any luck?

CharlesU
December 06, 2013 11:28AM
Hi all,

Now that's what what I call fair: Constructive criticism on where a person could have done better and
and marks, recognizing where student has made an effort to get it right. Made taking the course worthwhile.
Thank your all for your help and especially to Prof mac for his endurance..

CharlesU
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login