Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Portfolio Due Date

Posted by Kayc78145228 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Portfolio Due Date
August 16, 2013 12:48PM
Hi All

Does anyone know exactly when is the due date for the Portfolio..?
Re: Portfolio Due Date
August 16, 2013 01:24PM
On my myUnisa it says 5 November 2013.
Mac
August 16, 2013 02:59PM
Correct.
August 19, 2013 11:14AM
Thanx man
August 19, 2013 05:41PM
Hi,

Thanks or Ouch!

C
October 26, 2013 01:55PM
Hi guys

I have a question(s) for Prof MAC..

I'd like to know if Iam allowed to code a GUI using JQuery for portfolio? The only rule I saw related to this is one that says **Do not use JavaScript for form validation**

Oh and tja I coded a PHP5/MySQL, HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript/JQuery database manipulation application for our company. Please check it out and rate it, remember you taught me everything Iam using here. Visit the site here your ratings will help me know where I stand as far as my learning curve goes.

Notable features are:
1. Customers can request quotes online (in this event data is sent to JavaScript for Validation if OK, JavaScript POSTs data to my PHP code that does further validation, sends email to admin should need be or just captures data in MySQL).
2. There is a PHP foot counter that monitors visitors and makes entries in MySQL, this code can see if a customer is returning or new and updates accordingly.
3. I wrote the User Interface in JQuery but the App itself is as PHP as they come.
4. For every command/action taken on the site, PHP creates and log events and in the event database is down or no connection is possible PHP sends me an email notification of this event and even give me the details it failed to caputure so that I can login and capture manually.
5. The site has a ControlPanel with 2 level privileges 1- superuser (can create/delete users plus everything else admin can do) and 2- admin (can view/edit/delete/add/create a pdf document(I use FPDF classes for this) and print/create/export a csv file of all customers captured on the database plus for every online order PHP creates graphs presenting product statistics as percentages so admin will know what customers look for most..)

This is but a simple explanation of what the App does but there is more it can do, should you wish to access controlpanel please let me know so I create login details for you..

This App kept me occupied no wonder I went silent on the forum for a while..
October 27, 2013 07:38PM
Hi,

Yes, did wonder what happened to you! Great Work !!!!

Regards CharlesU
Mac
October 28, 2013 07:27AM
While I do not want to stop you from making the app nicer/better, the focus is on PHP. If you think about it, my grandmother can use a GUI...
October 28, 2013 08:01AM
JQuery is a JavaScript library written by other people.

Are you seriously considering submitting code written by somebody else for YOUR portfolio ?
October 28, 2013 11:39AM
@ bigron11-> I normally use the JQuery library together with css and html to give my app the good looks, I don't care who put its syntax together but what I know is I understand the syntax and I can make it do exactly what I need.

That said!!! What is more important about the App above are its functionalities that I wrote in PHP/MySQL which are the brains, heart and kidneys of that App. HTML, CSS and JavaScript/JQuery are but the skin (look) of the App. I posted this here to showcase what I have picked up as this was my practice run building up to the portfolio and its me saying thank you to MAC and every student participating in this forum because beginning this year I new little or no HTML but I took the INTRODUCTION TO INTERNET & WEB DESIGN course and one thing led to another.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Anyways I will be submitting the portfolio for making and no matter the result, I am proud of what I achieved this year. I can develop Web Apps in PHP/MySQL..

All the best guys..thumbs up
October 28, 2013 12:25PM

I am proud of what I achieved this year. I can develop Web Apps in PHP/MySQL.

With good reason, and you certainly can develop web sites using PHP/mySQL/HTML/CSS/JQuery etc.

Had a look at you site - very good !!! smiling smiley
October 30, 2013 10:25AM
@Sipho

The site looks good. Just have a look at the contact page. On Chrome the textboxes are not aligned. Also a big NO NO!! (according to me) is redirecting a client because they do not use Firefox or Chrome. You maybe sending potential customers away because they are using Internet Explorer.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning...
October 30, 2013 11:25AM
@Alex

Thank you for making the effort..

Internet Explorer gave me so many issues that I cannot even begin to describe (nothing works there!!!) so the only solution I saw was to blacklist it. My Google Analytics shows only 7 users visited using IE out of 800 users most use Chrome, Firefox and Safari..

Thank you again I am working on the contact page on Chrome. And does anyone know how I can get the map to display correctly? I have tried a number of techniques to no avail.
October 30, 2013 11:37AM
What do you mean by "display correctly" ?

I think all you need is to zoom out a little.
October 30, 2013 11:40AM
Well the pin on the iframe is not centered when the page loads, you have to search for it..
October 30, 2013 12:12PM
Not sure if this is going to help with the map. Have a look at this guy's function in the answer on this link:

Google API

72903694_Sipho Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well the pin on the iframe is not centered when
> the page loads, you have to search for it..

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning...
October 30, 2013 12:57PM
You use something like this - (Use your own co-ordinates)

center = new google.maps.LatLng(-34.397, 150.644)

Have a look at the Google Maps API v3 - Map Options -

https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/javascript/tutorial
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login