Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help nothing working !

Posted by shailen72991070 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Help nothing working !
July 23, 2013 12:20PM
Good day

I have been tyring to get my EasyPhp to work for the last 2days from having port 80 issues (which i finally got fixed) to not displaying the info page (HTTP Error 404. The requested resource is not found.) . I have used google to find a solution none seem to solve the problem and i don't want to go about changing things on my PC that i have no idea what it does. I have looked through the text book and went through lines of code and changed things . The version i am using is EasyPhp DevServer 13.1 VC 9 and is different to the the one described in the text book.

So i have hit a brick wall and have no idea what to do.

Using Windows 7 and i have also tried the other programme on the disk

Any help will be much appreciated ASAP !
Mac
Re: Help nothing working !
July 23, 2013 03:42PM
If Google does not help it is nearly impossible to add anything sad smiley

Generally speaking, XAMPP is a simple install if you install to the C drive root (and not Program files because of permission issues).

Make sure you install EasyPHP before you try to install XAMPP though.
July 23, 2013 04:56PM
Hi!

I also had a horrible time getting mine to finally work

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the problem but I re-downloaded EasyPhp DevServer 13.1 VC 11 instead of 9 and had to set it to "Run as administrator" and the port to 8080.

And the only way for me to open pages is to place my files in "...\EasyPHP-DevServer-13.1VC11\data\localweb": right click on the EasyPhp icon in the system tray -> Administration and then where it sais "PORTABLE FILES / LOCAL WEB" select the folder I put my files in (i.e. my portable files or projects or scripts) and click on my file name in there.
Mac
July 23, 2013 05:26PM
12.1 is on the CD? And it was added 2 months ago?????? Did youget an old CD?

I must add... having a 'horrible time' is part of the learning curve smiling smiley So good on you! That said, sometimes the earlier versions are better, because every time they add stuff. But also, it sometimes fixes issues. Point is, in general terms, very few people has issues. But is a bit of a hit and run.
Re: It works
July 23, 2013 09:26PM
Two words YouTube and Wamp. Easy step by step installation and a video, what a relief. Now to get down to some serious programming. thumbs up But first lets celebrate drinking smiley
avatar Re: Help nothing working !
July 24, 2013 12:17PM
Just get UNIX/Linux ubuntu and leave politics behind...grinning smiley
July 25, 2013 03:37PM
@Sipho
I see you always posting about Linux ...lol
I think if people having problem installing on windows...Linux could be the reason for their demise.haha
Having to use CLI for installing/removing etc.....Windows folk prefer The trusted windows GUI.
July 25, 2013 05:28PM
78111986Yusuf Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> @Sipho
> I see you always posting about Linux ...lol
> I think if people having problem installing on
> windows...Linux could be the reason for their
> demise.haha
> Having to use CLI for installing/removing
> etc.....Windows folk prefer The trusted windows
> GUI.

Trust me if you burst out of the fear bubble and be brave enough to take the learning curve. You will uncover may secrets about systems than you ever thought possible, its fine and well to be a user pushing and clicking buttons for everything you do, but to become a superuser you have to roll up your sleeves and commit your time and efforts to learning CLI and Bash then nothing will be impossible for you. Most guys i know that run Windows are afraid of this, if you need a stable platform thats virus free getting your hands dirty is a necessity...grinning smiley
July 25, 2013 10:59PM
@Sipho
Very True, I myself have dabbled in Linux(though never committed to it) ... had Ubuntu running on my old Laptop(but battery no longer charges,haven't yet replaced it).
Linux is pretty neat, But I have been using Windows since I was 5 yrs old, and my current PC is 7 yrs old(lol), so running Linux virtually ,will kill my PCsmile .
But I do wish to Rekindle my interest in Linux after this Php course.

Thanks
July 26, 2013 11:38AM
UNIX/Linux killing your machine???eye popping smiley
That's weird I specialize in Linux and I used to be a MS Windows ONLY techy but 4 years ago I joined the Open Source Community and had to learn everything over again I got my LPIC2.
Since then I revive old computers, converting them into LAMP servers and light weight desktops utilizing the powers of ubuntu and kubuntu. Trust me when it comes to getting the best out of you components Linux does a better job, recently I donated one of my old Pentium III desktops to a friend of mine who needed a PC for his web-design course.
I rigged that system with ubuntu 32bit and its quite fast for a system it age..
So why do I always comment about Linux?? well because I am passionate about it and with every opportunity I get to educate people, I gladly do so.smile From pre-school we have been programmed to think the world evolves around Microsoft but I believe computing should be free/affordable and accessible. We pay for this pay for that licence here licence there..sad smiley
July 26, 2013 02:48PM
Hi Sipho,what I meant by 'killing my pc' was that my current pc is quite old,old hardware. so running Linux VIRTUALLY through something like VirtualBox will slow done my pc as I still having windows installed on my hard disk. Any OS will slow down my pc as it is run in virtual box in windows.( Maybe a light distro like Puppy won't)
I do enjoy Linux, And have been part of the Open Source communities for many years(I still have the Mark ShuttleWorth Open CD [Audacity,Ubuntu Live,Gimp,Blender etc...] ) and earlier Ubuntu releases.
I am not against Linux or any OpenSource smileys with beer
July 31, 2013 12:20PM
@ Sipho - Richard Stallman would be so proud if he read this grinning smiley
July 31, 2013 12:29PM
Why run Linux in a virtual box ?

You can easily implement a dual boot system (by partitioning your disk), and chose between Linux or Windows when you boot up.
There is also an Ubuntu version that you can install in the Windows file system (so you do not have to partition your disk), but still operates as a dual boot system.
July 31, 2013 01:00PM
@bigron11

Dualboot is not a bad idea but as you know, in that dual boot MS Windows will be the dominant OS meaning it will write its boot manager in the hdd's MBR (Master Boot Records). The default OS will be MS Windows and then You'd have all the rest bellow unless you tweak the boot manager is windows this will be the case. SO MY problem is this: MS Windows is an awesome OS but its prone to crushing due to bugs, viruses, NTFS file system errors and driver errors (i.e the BoSD), unless one knows how to recover from these common Microsoft vulnerabilities dualboot is not advisable.

In most implimantations where a client insists on a dualboot solution, I install MS Windows first, then UNIX/Linux second and then change the boot order making grub the dominant bootloader atleast this way I eliminate errors from arising thus making the system recoverable in future.

Why run a VM inside you UNIX/Linux box? well if you want an experimental environment to test Operating Systems on without affecting you primary system a VM is recommended or for the perposes of this course, I built a UNIX/Linux ubuntu LAMP server as a VM inside my laptop that runs on ubuntu 12.04 64bit precise as my primary OS, this ensures that I have my server with me 24/7. Is the VM necessary in your laptop? Not really I could've simply used "tasksel" to install PHP,MySql & Apache on my Laptop and used this method to complete this course.. But because I am a System Administrator and I already have VMs set up in Virtualbox & VMWare inside my laptop, I found it easy to just use the VM LAMP sever thats already setup..

So one doesn't really need virtualbox in their Linux box unless you want to run software that was designed for another OS and besides if hardware specs are your concern then why not run those MS Windows apps in WineHQ? still the same......

I always prefer to run UNIX/Linux as a hosting/primary OS because of its flexibility, speed, stability and virus immunity. And besides I dont need to explain the strength of a journaling file system, am sure 90% of people out the know about the ext3-ext4 file systems. Trust me its far better than hosting on NTFS..spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
September 13, 2013 04:43PM
XAMPP stress lessthumbs up
September 16, 2013 09:58AM
@Sipho. Agree with you. Linux is one of the best OS's for almost anything. It takes some time getting around, but luckily Google is everyone's best friend. I have 2 Linux proxy's on my network providing internet access to +/- 900 students. What is so nice about them is that I can log or block just about everything that everyone does on the proxy. No where do you find free software on windows that can do this for you. I think if Linux can start making inroads into the gaming market, Windows will start losing support.

72903694_Sipho Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> UNIX/Linux killing your machine???eye popping smiley
> That's weird I specialize in Linux and I used to
> be a MS Windows ONLY techy but 4 years ago I
> joined the Open Source Community and had to learn
> everything over again I got my LPIC2.
> Since then I revive old computers, converting them
> into LAMP servers and light weight desktops
> utilizing the powers of ubuntu and kubuntu. Trust
> me when it comes to getting the best out of you
> components Linux does a better job, recently I
> donated one of my old Pentium III desktops to a
> friend of mine who needed a PC for his web-design
> course.
> I rigged that system with ubuntu 32bit and its
> quite fast for a system it age..
> So why do I always comment about Linux?? well
> because I am passionate about it and with every
> opportunity I get to educate people, I gladly do
> so.smile From pre-school we have been programmed to
> think the world evolves around Microsoft but I
> believe computing should be free/affordable and
> accessible. We pay for this pay for that licence
> here licence there..sad smiley

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login