Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Section 6 - Arrays in PHP

Posted by murray-78034604 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Section 6 - Arrays in PHP
July 17, 2013 07:49PM
Hi

I worked threw this section. I also tried out all the scripts. I found this section much easier then some of the other sections . I just hope
I will remember all if it. I will be working threw this section again because I can understand why you would use "Arry" allot

M
Re: Section 6 - Arrays in PHP
July 17, 2013 08:53PM
Surely this is the simplest and easier part of programming. Done with this part. what's next....
avatar Re: Section 6 - Arrays in PHP
July 18, 2013 10:00AM
@Murray

I find it helpful to use a notebook where I write the topic as a header and write important notes to remember about that particular topic.

I even write the code as an example of how I understood the topic's concept. Sometimes when you read and practice something you tend to remember it for a short while, but when you create notes you remember it longer and you'll have a point of reference. i.e consider the following example about creating a function that creates a HTML table with variables inside cells: #THIS WILL BE IN MY NOTES UNDER THE HEADING FUNCTIONS & SUB-HEADING TABLES;

Language: PHP
<?php echo "<h1><span style=\"color: red;\">TABLE PRINT FUNCTION</h1></span>"; $txt0 = "Things to know bout me"; $txt1 = "I Love my University UNISA & UNIX/Linux OS"; $txt2 = "I know HTML5, CSS3 & JavaScript"; $txt3 = "I am studying PHP";   function tableWrap($txt0, $txt1, $txt2, $txt3,){ echo "<p><span style=\"color: blue;\">things to know about me!!</p></br>"; echo "<table style=\"border: 1px solid #000;\">"; echo "<tr><th style=\"border: 1px solid #000;\">".$txt0."</tr></th>"; echo "<tr><td style=\"border: 1px solid #000;\">".$txt1."</tr></td>"; echo "<tr><td style=\"border: 1px solid #000;\">".$txt2."</tr></td>"; echo "<tr><td style=\"border: 1px solid #000;\">".$txt3."</tr></td>"; echo "</table>"; }   #function call on variables listed above tableWrap($txt1, $txt1, $txt2, $txt3); ?>

I find making notes extremely helpful and I hope this helps you too...smile
July 18, 2013 03:08PM
@Sipho
Thanks, been thinking if anyone else does that too.
Do you physically write out the notes?? (I'm assuming that's what you said, if so, that what I do too)

Personally, It has been Very Helpful in becoming an efficient in learning PHP.

Thanks.
July 18, 2013 04:27PM
@78111986Yusuf

Yes I have a counter book an a pen that I use along side my laptop.

After finishing a topic I write down areas of interest and I write them according to my understanding i.e under the topic functions I took not of the Global keyword scope (calling variables inside functions)
<?php $a = 1; $b = 2;   function Sum(){ global $a, $b; #the "global" keyword is useful for referencing variables outside of the function';s scope, and you can list as many variables as you like as long as you separate with commas $b = $a + $b; }   Sum(); echo $b; ?>

and the static keyword for increasing the life span of a variable every time the function is called... I prefer hand written notes as the double up as revision too...spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

<?php function test(){ static $a = 0; #The "static" keyword remembers the variable $a giving it a longer life span echo $a; $a++; #each time this function is called it is incremented and the static keyword will remember that number each time the function is called } ?>
July 19, 2013 04:58PM
I've completed this section smile

@Sipho
I must agree, keeping notes really helps you to remember things for longer and as you said - great point of reference!
July 20, 2013 02:24PM
Hi,

Set out to master loops and arrays, gained a fair understanding. Managed to get the for loop that generates the years
in chapter 6 bottom page 171 working well but couldn't get php to print my selected year. I feel I spent to much time on these
sections and have fallen behind. Now moving on!
July 22, 2013 05:35PM
Please paste your code using formatted code so we can see why it wont print/echo your selected year and why you wasted too much time on it? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

<?php $yearOfBirth = array( "Sipho" => 2000, "Charles" => 2001, "Rushil" => 2002 );   function myAge ($array, $key){ #A function called myAge() that returns your age $currentYear = 2013; foreach($array as $key=>$year){ #Here we loop through an associative array to find a match for your date of birth $myYear = $year; #The output from foreach is initiated to the $myYear variable. } return $currentYear - $myYear; #Here we return the calculation to the call }   $myAge = myAge($yearOfBirth, "Charles" ); #Here I initiate the variable $myAge with the produce returned from the myAge() function.. echo "Hi my name is Charles and Iam ".$myAge."yrs old"; #Now we print your age!! ?>
July 22, 2013 10:08PM
Hi Sipho,

Thanks for making take it on again. Couldn't get control of THE FOR LOOP to list and print years.
Amazing What playing around with $_POST[ 'and_any_variables_can _do']. Come on arrays!!!!

<?php
for ($year = date("Y"winking smiley; $year>=1970; $year--) {
?>
<option value=<?php print $year; ?> ">< ? php
print $year; ?></option>
<?php
}
?>
July 23, 2013 08:58AM
Hi Charles can you please use formatted code, it hard to read you code..confused smiley
July 23, 2013 10:43AM
Do you guys understand looping through multidimensional arrays? eye rolling smiley

<?php $superHeros = array( $Hulk = array("Skill"=>"Superhuman strength", "Skin Colour" => "Green", "Country"=>"United States"), $Superman = array("Skill"=>"Superhuman Strength", "Skin Colour"=>"White", "Country"=>"United States"), $Tony_Stark = array("Skill"=>"Nano_Technology", "Skin Color"=>"White", "Country"=>"United States") );   echo "My Question is how do I loop through the above Multidimensional array printing the Super Hero';s name and traits?"; ?>
July 23, 2013 12:53PM
July 23, 2013 12:57PM
July 23, 2013 01:09PM
Separate echo statements for the inner & outer loops ?

ie: Output the Superhero name only once, and then all its traits.
July 23, 2013 01:31PM
July 23, 2013 02:30PM
July 23, 2013 03:00PM
Below is my approach to looping multidimensional arrays:grinning smiley

<!DOCTYPE HTML> <HTML> <HEAD> <TITLE>Array_Loop_Print</TITLE> </HEAD> <BODY> <?PHP $superheros=array( $hulk=array( "AKA"=>"BIG BOY", "Traits"=>"Superhuman Strength", "Occupation"=>"Superhero", "Skin Color"=>"Green", "Known Weakness"=>"N/A", "Country of Birth"=>"United States" ), $superman=array( "AKA"=>"Clark Kent", "Traits"=>"Superhuman Strength", "Occupation"=>"Superhero", "Skin Color"=>"White", "Known Weakness"=>"Cryptonite", "Country of Birth"=>"United States" ), $Ironman=array( "AKA"=>"Tony Stark", "Traits"=>"Nano Technology", "Occupation"=>"Superhero", "Skin Color"=>"White", "Known Weakness"=>"Valnurable when outside of suit", "Country of Birth"=>"United States" ), ); foreach($superheros as $name){ while(list($key, $value)=each($name)){ echo $key ." = ". $value."<br>"; } echo "<br>"; } ?> </BODY> </HTML>

If you try my solution you'll get the following output: thumbs up smiley

AKA = BIG BOY
Traits = Superhuman Strength
Occupation = Superhero
Skin Color = Green
Known Weakness = N/A
Country of Birth = United States

AKA = Clark Kent
Traits = Superhuman Strength
Occupation = Superhero
Skin Color = White
Known Weakness = Cryptonite

AKA = Tony Stark
Traits = Nano Technology
Occupation = Superhero
Skin Color = White
Known Weakness = Valnurable when outside of suit
July 23, 2013 03:36PM
July 23, 2013 04:16PM
@Rushil-77923553

Check out the official PHP: Manual smoking smiley

Also pay close attention to the each() function:

<?php $myArray = array( $array1 = array("name"=>"firstArray"), $array2 = array("name"=>"secondArray") );   foreach($myArray as $array){ #this is the one we';re all familier with (no need to explain here) while(list($key,$value)=each($array)){ #my condition that will execute the following expression as long as true echo "I am the ".$value." and i live inside ".$key; #pay close attention to how I use the list() & each() functions to list every instance and value of each $array occurance } } ?>

I hope this explains things better, I also recommend a book called SAM's Teach Yourself PHP, MySQL & Apache2......tongue sticking out smiley
July 23, 2013 05:32PM
I like your approach but I'd change just a small bit, observe

<?php $superHeros = array( "Hulk" => array("Skill"=>"Superhuman strength", "Skin Colour" => "Green", "Country"=>"United States"), "Superman" => array("Skill"=>"Superhuman Strength", "Skin Colour"=>"White", "Country"=>"United States"), "Tony Stark" => array("Skill"=>"Nano_Technology", "Skin Color"=>"White", "Country"=>"United States") );   foreach ($superHeros as $name => $traits) { echo "CodeName: ".$name . "<br>"; foreach ($traits as $traits => $type) { echo $traits." - > ".$type."<br>"; } echo "<br>"; }   ?>

Now your code echoes the following:

CodeName: Hulk
Skill - > Superhuman strength
Skin Colour - > Green
Country - > United States

CodeName: Superman
Skill - > Superhuman Strength
Skin Colour - > White

CodeName: Tony Stark
Skill - > Nano_Technology
Skin Color - > White

I must say I like your manual approach man, thumbs up bro (@Rushil-77923553) thumbs up smileys with beer
Mac
July 23, 2013 05:39PM
Remember ultimately that arrays are becomes useful when you use variables, as opposed to hard coding it in. For example, capturing choices from a web form e.g. "which colour do you like?" in an array, sending it on, extracting it, and using it. Sounds easy, but can be tricky smiling smiley
July 23, 2013 05:58PM
@72903694_Sipho and Rushil-77923553
i,ve been looking throw your conversation and aim thinking "damm this multidimensional arrays are on steroids"

so this multidimensional array is more like an array inside an array ryt?

#i think i should get my text book aim really missing out of the good staffdrinking smiley
July 23, 2013 06:55PM
Hi Sipho,

Sorry, my network crashed while I was replying last night, that is the reason for the strange message.
Just wanted to thank you for the help, got it all working now!

Regards
July 23, 2013 07:35PM
Hi Sipho

Thanks

Sorry for the late reply. I have been testing your scripts. Its become useful and yes you are far ahead of me.

M
July 24, 2013 12:43PM
@murray-78034604

Thanks for your reply, I am glad you finding the scripts useful and helpful..spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Keep your sleeves rolled up, when you're ready check out the numbersGame section on the forum and see how you can help.thumbs up
July 26, 2013 09:38AM
Finished with this section!!
This was really easier than the previous sections, gave me hope againsmile
July 27, 2013 08:58PM
I have finished this section, I found it enjoyable, although I got a little side tracked looking up the names of the band that I should have known smiling smiley
July 28, 2013 09:34PM
Tricky section but complete.
July 30, 2013 02:45PM
@ Rushil

Please tell me if there is any advantages on surrounding your php tags rather than doing like this:

$my_sites = array( ';papias'; => ';www.papias.co.za';, ';spha'; => ';www.spha.co.za';, ';jessy'; => ';www.jessy.co.za'; );   foreach ($my_sites as $name => $website) {   echo "<li><a href=';$website';>" . ucwords($name) . "</a></li>"; //echo "<pre><a href=';$website';>" . ucwords($name) . "</a></pre>"; }
July 30, 2013 03:58PM
Sorry Papias am not sure I understand your question bro, do you mean surround as in :eye rolling smiley

<?PHP #the following must be enabled in the php.ini otherwise stick to the <?PHP?> tags....... $status="I am surrounded by a bunch of <?PHP?> tags, these tags could also be written in C# style like <%%> or just like this <??>"; echo "I hope the above explanation helps you bud"; ?>

In your code I'd change the href targets by including the http:// to the $website i.e.

$mySites = array( "unisa" => "http://www.unisa.ac.za", "codecademy" => "http://www.codecademy.co.za" );   foreach ($mySites as $key => $value){ echo "The ".strtoupper($name)." website can be found "."<a href=\"".$value."\">here</a><br>"; }

thumbs up smiley
July 30, 2013 06:50PM
@ Sipho,

I was talking about surrounding the entire block of code with <pre></pre>

see the placement of <pre></pre> in the following code

<pre><?php $my_lessons = array( ';papias'; => ';www.google.co.za';, ';sipho'; => ';www.fnb.co.za';, ';jessy'; => ';www.yahoo.co.za'; ); ?></pre>

and just surround what is inside the echo statement with <pre></pre>

see the placement of <pre></pre> on the other hand

<?php $my_lessons = array( ';papias'; => ';www.google.co.za';, ';sipho'; => ';www.fnb.co.za';, ';jessy'; => ';www.yahoo.co.za'; );   echo "<pre><a href=';$website';>" . ucwords($name) . "</a></pre>";   ?>
July 30, 2013 07:34PM
I've finished this section and and went through all the scripts. I also found the Youtube video by phpacademy to be very informative

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AnuVr9CWNM
I honestly spent more time going through and trying to understand Sipho and Rushils scripts - was fun - good job you guys!
July 30, 2013 08:27PM
section complete!! very important section!!
July 31, 2013 09:37AM
If you're writing a script that creates HTML on the fly, it makes logical sence to place the <pre></pre> tags on the section of your script that outputs the HTML i.e echo/print. So I think that's the reason why Rush used the tags on his echo/print function.eye rolling smiley

<?PHP #Placing the HTML <pre></pre> tags here will result in an error as this section is the actual PHP script and the PHP parser wont know what to do with it.. $myMovies = array("300", "Troy", "Spartacus" );   for (counter=0; counter <=3; counter++){ if($myMovies[counter]){ echo "<pre>".$myMovies[counter]."</pre><br>"; #This section feeds HTML to the browser so it makes sence to place the HTML <pre></pre> tags here... } } ?>
July 31, 2013 07:46PM
I have read and understood this section.

I have to say it really bugged me the amount of code needed back in Section 4: Working with HTML forms, where data was kept from checkboxes selected by users. Think its the very last section of Section 4: PHP and Checkboxes.

Anyway, so I went back and re-wrote the code, in a way I understood it using everything I have learnt so far (arrays, loops, etc.)

I have to say, you can read and read a million times but the key really is practice!!! smiling smiley

So here's my code: Its not that much shorter, but I understand it and that's the important thing smiling smiley

The PHP bit:

<?PHP $status = array(';unchecked';,';unchecked';,';unchecked';,';unchecked';,';unchecked';);   if (isset($_POST[';Submit1';])) { if (isset($_POST[';box';])) //checking if the array exist incase no checkboxes were selected initially { $checked = $_POST[';box';]; //returning an aray $checked of checkboxes selected   for($i=0; $i < count($checked); $i++) //looping through the $checked array { //echo "Selected " . $checked[$i] . "<br>"; //checking purposes only that the correct checkbox value is displayed. switch($checked[$i]) { case ';net';: $status[0] = ';checked';; print "Vbasic.net was checked <br>"; //checking purposes only break; case ';word';: $status[1] = ';checked';; print "Microsoft Word was checked <br>"; //checking purposes only break; case ';excel';: $status[2] = ';checked';; print "Microsoft Excel was checked <br>"; //checking purposes only break; case ';web';: $status[3] = ';checked';; print "Web Design was checked <br>"; //checking purposes only break; case ';php';: $status[4] = ';checked';; print "PHP for beginners was checked <br>"; //checking purposes only break; }   } } //else //{ //print "no array exists"; //this is for checking purposes only //}   }   ?>

And the HTML form bit:

Language: HTML
<FORM NAME ="form1" METHOD ="POST" ACTION ="testing2.php">   <Input type = ';Checkbox'; Name ="box[]" value ="net" <?PHP print $status[0]; ?>>Visual Basic .NET <P> <Input type = ';Checkbox'; Name ="box[]" value="word" <?PHP print $status[1]; ?>>Microsoft Word <P> <Input type = ';Checkbox'; Name ="box[]" value="excel" <?PHP print $status[2]; ?>>Microsoft Excel <P> <Input type = ';Checkbox'; Name ="box[]" value="web" <?PHP print $status[3]; ?>>Web Design <P> <Input type = ';Checkbox'; Name ="box[]" value="php" <?PHP print $status[4]; ?>>PHP for the Beginner <P>     <INPUT TYPE = "Submit" Name = "Submit1" VALUE = "Choose your books"> </FORM>

My final word: Arrays are awesome!!!!!! smileys with beer

PS: Starting functions next and i'm sure i can shorten the code much more once i've mastered it.

S
July 31, 2013 08:22PM
sometimes the simplest things get be real confusing like the code below from home-learn website:

<?php

$seasons = array("Autumn", "Winter", "Spring", "Summer"winking smiley;

$array_count = count($seasons);

for ($key_Number = 0; $key_Number < $array_count; $key_Number++) {
print $seasons[$key_Number];
}
?>

i run the script and the output was a bit confusing because i expected to see the output of the elements in the $seasons array
but instead this:

AutumnWinterSpringSummer

so i figured if you want to print the number of elements you should print $array_count by its self like;

<?PHP
$seasons = array("Autumn","winter","spring","summer"winking smiley;
$array_count =count($seasons);
for($key_Number= 0;$key_Number <$array_count;$key_Number++){
print $seasons[$key_Number];

}
print $array_count;
?>
August 01, 2013 09:20AM
@glen78134323

That's an interesting observation but if you want the "$seasons" array's output to have a bit of meaning to you, just add an HTML "<br>" tag at the end of your "print" statement.
<?php   $seasons = array("Autumn", "Winter", "Spring", "Summer");   $array_count = count($seasons);   for ($key_Number = 0; $key_Number < $array_count; $key_Number++) { print $seasons[$key_Number]."<br>"; } ?>

you should get the following output:
Autumn
Winter
Spring
Summer

Sweeto thumbs up and thanx for posting this useful info. Its much, much better than just saying "I complited this section"eye rolling smiley
August 05, 2013 06:23PM
completed this section and found it pretty easy
August 06, 2013 07:07PM
Ok, I see you guys had fun with Arrays but as for me its hectic

nothing gets executed shouldn't the be anything executed of did I miss something out?

Arrays and PHP For Each Loops
<?php

$full_name = array( );

$Full_name["David"]="Gilmour";
$Full_name["Nick"]="Mason";
$Full_name["Roger"]="Waters";
$Full_name["Richard"]="Wright";

foreach($full_name as $key_name => $key_value) {

print"Key = ".$key_name. "Value = ".$key_value. "<BR>";

}

?>

Please help confused smiley
August 06, 2013 07:32PM
@gouwem-77858204

Going through your code it quickly be came clear that you're adding names into a wrong array() "$Full_name" instead of the correct array() "$full_name". Array names are case sensitive bud!! Also add a space between "print" and "Key=........" and you have one too many double quotes (dont put variables in double quotes as doing so will render them useless "$var"eye rolling smiley do this instead $var."some text here".$var."<br />" ). OH!! tja and please use formated code next time when posting scripts coz its hard to read you code as it is.. i.e observe the following corrections:
<?php   $full_name = array( ); $full_name["David"]="Gilmour"; $full_name["Nick"]="Mason"; $full_name["Roger"]="Waters"; $full_name["Richard"]="Wright";   foreach($full_name as $key_name => $key_value) { print "Key = ".$key_name." Value = ".$key_value."<br />"; }   ?>

I hope the above makes sense...?eye rolling smiley
August 07, 2013 03:43PM
@gouwem-77858204

It's just as 72903694_Sipho said above - variables are case sensitive! So $full_name is not the same as $Full_name, if you change all the variable names to $full_name you'll see your code works!
August 09, 2013 05:09PM
Getting worried that I may be falling behind.

Only starting with arrays today, but thank you to everyone for your posts. I think I can already see where I might get stuck, but now know that I won't sit with it for days thanks to everyone giving advice here! I am actually really looking forward to starting this section! smile
August 10, 2013 10:13AM
Thanks to 72903694_Sipho and 78183472. I fixed my script and it worked.

Now completed this section, it was a bit tricky but I guess things will make sense as get to work often with arrays.
August 12, 2013 11:07AM
Section 6 - Arrays in PHP : Completed , Arrays are a usefull tool.
August 14, 2013 04:45PM
Section 6 completed!

A very useful site I found (and probably well-known) is: http://www.w3schools.com/php/.

Gives basic definitions of PHP coding - makes life a bit easier, especially on this section.

Warren
August 18, 2013 03:35PM
Almost done with arrays. Just working through the exercise scripts at the end.

Just one question. In the script provided for ScriptFour the following is included in the print section - . " ";

Below is the example given:
print $seasons[2] . " "; print $seasons[3];

I tested it and noticed that if I remove the ." " then nothing changes. Why would one include it in the script if you are not planning on putting anything between the quotation marks?

Just something I noticed and wondered about...

Regards
August 18, 2013 04:05PM
Ok, section on arrays completed and I think I do understand everything. Some of the coding I have seen posted here still is a little confusing to me, but hopefully the more I work in PHP the better I will understand.

One more question though that I have not spotted earlier:
What if a name contains a funny character, e.g. André or Hõll?

I tried testing is and got the funniest things. I know this probably has nothing to do with arrays, but when I was practising the names I noticed that everything comes out all funny and I am not sure how one would fix something like that.
Mac
August 19, 2013 08:38AM
Elizabeth - 78124018 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just one question. In the script provided for
> ScriptFour the following is included in the print
> section - . " ";
>
> Below is the example given:
>
> print $seasons[2] . " "; > print $seasons[3]; >
>
> I tested it and noticed that if I remove the ."
> "
then nothing changes. Why would one
> include it in the script if you are not planning
> on putting anything between the quotation
> marks?

>
> Just something I noticed and wondered about.

There is a space between " ", so it adds a space in the layout. But that is choice of layout.
Mac
August 19, 2013 08:43AM
> One more question though that I have not spotted
> earlier:
> What if a name contains a funny character, e.g.
> André or Hõll?
>
Read this.... http://www.phpwact.org/php/i18n/charsets

Read the section on Entities first, then the rest of the article.
August 19, 2013 09:58PM
Thank you Mac. Read it, think I understand it... Will now practice it! smile
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login