Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PHP Text Book

Posted by 78185106 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
PHP Text Book
July 05, 2013 11:35AM
Hi Mac.

I bought myself a text a while ago, Programming PHP the author is O'REILLY 3rd Edition.
Would this book be appropriate for this Course?

Kind Regards
Willem Wessels
Mac
Re: PHP Text Book
July 05, 2013 05:31PM
Your choice. Strictly speaking you can get away without the prescribed book, but it really is a good book.
July 06, 2013 05:01PM
Hi,
I too have this book, One of the authors actually created PHP (Rasmus Leardof).it's a good book.
But it is a little intensive for a beginner to programming.
Use the Unisa prescribed book : "Beginning PHP 5 , Apache and MySQL Web Development
It is excellent for us beginners , you learn how to use each tool seperatley and then teaches you how to integrate them to create php based websites/applications.
July 09, 2013 01:51PM
Hi,
Has anyone bought the subscribed textbook yet: Beginning PHP5, Apache and MySQL Web development yet?

It cost about R460 on intersoft excluding delivery charges (typical delivery time between 1-2 working days). They also have an option to pick it up yourself at their offices in Joburg.

I'm a bit hesitant on buying it through Amazon as last time i bought anything there, it took almost 2 months to get to me eye popping smiley

Exclusive books charge almost R600 sad smiley

I guess I'm going the intersoft route.

S
July 09, 2013 02:15PM
I bought the text book before the tutorial letter was up, I wasnt aware of Intersoft so I bought it from Juta, as there is a store near me in Linden. I paid R570.00. Intersoft sounds the cheapest.
July 10, 2013 11:11AM
Hi,
I bought the ebook version on kalahari.net for R408. Much cheaper, and reading it when I have time at work.
July 10, 2013 03:41PM
This book you prescribed is *@#ing GREAT.
You learn right of the bat how to use PHP practically by creating the Project Website ,
and this makes learning the PHP syntax much easier.

Thanks Mac.
Mac
July 10, 2013 04:23PM
Trust me, this is the best book starting off. I have reviewed many, many, many books over the years, and review new books every year. When this book goes out of print, I will buy it from the authors. Worth every cent.
July 12, 2013 12:26PM
Ok I am odering mine month end..
July 17, 2013 01:59PM
hi
i dont have the subscribed text book yet but i am really planning on getting it,
eye rolling smiley
July 18, 2013 08:48AM
I think the any PHP book will do, most of them present the same concepts. So you are good to go..!
July 18, 2013 02:42PM
Got the prescribed book on Kalahari.com for R445. Not as cheap as the eBook but at least a little cheaper than I see some of you paid. So for everyone who haven't oredered the book yet, check out Kalahari

I know it says that it could take up to 15 working days for delivery, but delivery is free and I do not have cash to spare this month. smile
July 18, 2013 02:45PM
Kayc78145228
I think the any PHP book will do, most of them present the same concepts. So you are good to go..!

Maybe, But all books are not the same, they are presented,explained using different methods,some (like the prescribed book)
have Project websites that you build with php while learning concepts that help you understand how to practically implement
the code and others just have the language syntax with no practical examples.
July 18, 2013 02:53PM
@ Elizabeth,
Hi,
Intersoft costs a little bit extra R448, But they sell literally any Computer related book(among others subjects), they local, and they deliver within 24hrs and are stocked to the rafters,
Got mine the next day.Think I paid for shipping though.
July 22, 2013 03:05PM
Ive been learning PHP using the PHP cookbook that i got online and it was pretty useful to learn programming in php.
I will definitely get the prescribed book though

Nozuko Bottoman
August 07, 2013 11:02PM
got the book last week ,and i must say its really something
August 08, 2013 08:39AM
You can download the book "Beginning PHP5, Apache and MySQL Web Development"
from here for FREE (legally) -

http://it-ebooks.info/book/1060/

There are also many other very good computer books there, all available for free.
Mac
August 08, 2013 10:42AM
Well well well... can you belief it! Yes, it is legal - probably going out of print. That said, still worth the money if you have bought it (I prefer a book I can hold, and printing it out will cost a bit.
August 09, 2013 03:53PM
Thank you for that link biqron11.

I received my textbook this week and prefer having the textbook next to me while working.
But still nice to have an electronic copy when one travels often.

Regards
E
September 27, 2013 10:06AM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login