Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What Next After PHP?

Posted by 78143489 ERICCHE 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
What Next After PHP?
July 02, 2013 09:27PM
Hey mates, i might be sounding too fast but i just started working on my PHP project. Just curious to know what are your plans after obtaining this certification coz i'd like to further but don't know what steps.eye rolling smiley
Re: What Next After PHP?
July 08, 2013 08:32PM
Hello!

I will like to start working as web developer and on the other hand I will like study further.
July 09, 2013 09:52AM
Hi 78143489 ERICCHE,

If you are going to continue with CENSE why not take a look at the two database courses they have to offer (design and implementation) ? it would be possible follow on courses from this one?

S
July 12, 2013 01:30PM
I agree with 78143489 ERICCHE, database courses seem like a good choice..

I am to work as a PHP developer after wards..
July 16, 2013 11:05AM
Hi Guys

I have completed Intro to Web Design last semester and I just registered for the PHP course. I am working my way to becoming a Campaign Developer in my company, database course should be the right course next, I need Photoshop as well to have knowledge of working with images as that is one important thing that team mostly work with.

Besides its nice to learn about your plans too and hey Ericche it's all about knowing what career you would like to persue, if its development then think what about specializing in a certain programming language, I have discovered here that some of the developers they are employed because they specialize in C++, or Java, Perl and of course PHP and in that case you will be writing script that needs to be used by other developers to complete their work.

Hope this helps smile
July 23, 2013 08:45AM
Hi

In PHP, you are currently doing structural programming for the purpose of this course, next you can advance our knowledge in PHP Object Oriented Programming.
September 04, 2013 12:58PM
Hi
Just do what you don't have and you feel it require it

Regards

Mduduzi Comfort Mathonsi
September 05, 2013 09:35AM
Hi there,

I agree with you guys, Database courses would be the next choice.
September 05, 2013 12:47PM
There is a lot more around PHP, that is really interesting. After completing the course in the first semester I, delved a bit deeper into HTML5 and CSS3. Now I have the ability to make my PHP look so much better.

One can still do more research on PHP OOP and also on PHP Frameworks, it is really a interesting language. I checked out some of the question asked by people on www.stackoverflow.com and it opened my eyes to the fact that I have only now started at the tip of everything.
October 11, 2013 11:41AM
Hi,

Doing this course as at least gets you thinking, and start looking for opportunities. I cant see myself as a Web Page
Designer. I'm a bit short on imagination for that! If there is a course in Databases and Python that is the way I
would like go. You should see the "magic " that guys with these skills can produce.

CharlesU
October 11, 2013 12:24PM
Python can't do anything that PHP can't do.

PHP is more widely used, than Python, and is probably easier to use.

The trend nowadays is towards M-V-C Model View Controller, with complete separation between the View (HTML etc) and the Controller logic (PHP, C# etc)
On larger projects these would probably be programmed by different programmers / teams.

So, there is plenty of scope for the serious backroom stuff, instead of the fancy graphics.

Personally, I am also a bit of a "number-cruncher" type of programmer, not at all artistically minded, so PHP, C# etc is the way to go.
October 11, 2013 01:25PM
Hi,

I have a highly skilled production based background and want to niche market smaller companies, therefore smaller IT teams .
I'm already working on a business template, producing technical reports from machinery in production, with the use of sensors.
So a bit of fancy graphics required, but yes! Good old " number_crunching " is required to produce useful Business Intelligence
reports. Maybe we can talk after the Portfolio is complete.

CharlesU
November 18, 2013 01:21PM
Hi,

I've deliberately changed topic from OOP, because it was pointed out during the course, that I was using incorrect sections before.
Sipho, I hope you have followed to me here! Your question is interesting! bigron seems to have a fairly up to date
idea on what the current trends are. I hope he reads this, and gives us a few more pointers.

CharlesU
Mac
November 18, 2013 04:14PM
MVC was considered for this course (still is) - the problem we have is that with policy as it relates to introductory courses is that you are only allowed to offer 60% of formal (diploma/degree) offeringssad smiley So we need to focus on what is crucial/critical..my viewpoint is that you need to understand the basics before you move to advanced topics like OOP/MVC....

I need to mark, so here I go for 3 days smiling smiley So far... 1 out of 3 people did not submit an added functionality document???? Huh? It is part of the specifications.... sad smiley
November 18, 2013 05:25PM
Hi Prof mac,

I think you provided us with an excellent course. In my case I would't have had the time to have learnt more than the basics. Still
learning and revising them in fact. What you have done is supplied us with a great set of templates and more importantly, the desire
to learn further. Congratulations from me!

CharlesU
November 18, 2013 05:28PM
Oooops!

Under the wrong topic again!!!
Mac
November 18, 2013 07:13PM
Comments here build onto the topic, so in such cases it is acceptable to post here smiling smiley At least you are sensitive to specifications - good on you smiling smiley.
December 10, 2013 09:12AM
Hi to who ever is still around,

I'm having fair success putting my current project together but now need to seriously consider What Next After PHP!
MVC , OOP and brussing up on MySQL is obvious. Is there a recommended follow up course, preferably to be taken
over a year, or should one seek counselling?

CharlesU
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login