Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Section 1

Posted by Susan 70254443 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
July 01, 2013 09:16PM
I received my course material a few weeks ago and have been working through the tutorial. I have been using Wampserver as my local host and Notepad++ to write my code in.
Re: Section 1
July 02, 2013 09:29AM
Hi Susan, nice to meet u. Do you have previous knowledge on PHP? I am just wondering because you were so fast to have started writing your code already.
July 02, 2013 11:42AM
I'm actually still waiting for my CD to arrive. Unless the course work is available online?
July 02, 2013 11:56AM
Hi Brad

I read the following in the tutorial letter and I don't know if this will help:

Note: some CD’s may have a corrupt html folder with a few pages not rendering correctly. Please use the course website to download a zip-file containing the correct html files. You can unzip the file to your hard drive and run the above file from there.

I haven't gone looking for it because I also received my study material very early and started then.

- K
July 02, 2013 12:21PM
Hi there Ericche
No, I don't have any previous knowledge of PHP. I registered as early as I could for this course and received my course CD a few weeks ago. I have been working through the tutorial and am on section 4 now.
July 02, 2013 12:24PM
I'm also done with this section. I'm using XAMPP and coding in Notepad ++
Thanks kiroant, had a look at the Official Study Material link on myUNISA but only found the tutorial letter. Maybe it'll just take some time.
Thanks kiroant, had a look at the Official Study Material link on myUNISA but only found the tutorial letter. Maybe it'll just take some time to show.
July 02, 2013 06:59PM
Hi Kiroant,
Im still waiting for my study material but very curious about this apps that you guys are using to code. Can I download them from somewhere or it comes with the CD?
July 02, 2013 10:27PM
Hi
Finished with Section 1. I used easy PHP and it was easy. I’m working at night because I have to work full time but enjoying it so far cool smiley
July 03, 2013 11:08AM
Good morning All,

I don't know it is because I'm slow, I really do not know where to start. or how to start. I tried to download HTML kit fromt the CD provided but from there I don't know where/how to start.

I was under the impression that the letter (tutorial) will come with all the instructions for the CD (where/how) to start. and I'm getting more frustrated when I see comments from Suzan when she says she is now on Section 4 and others have already finished Section 1 which I cannot see or don't know where it is.

Can someone please assist me?
July 03, 2013 11:13AM
Hi Brad,

The course is available online at www.homeandlearn.co.uk/php/php.uk. I think
it is mentioned in the tutorial letter. it will help you to get started!
CharlesU
July 03, 2013 11:52AM
Hi Thwali,

Go to easyphp on the web for the latest version of either Wampserver or Easyphp. If you're using windows 8,
your frustrations haven't even started yet so take it easy!

CharlesU
July 03, 2013 01:12PM
Hi Guys

Any Linux (any flavour) users among us?

Groete
July 03, 2013 01:31PM
Hi,
I'm using WAMP with notepad++( I've used it previously and it supports pretty much all programming/scripting languages)
July 03, 2013 01:34PM
I've used LAMP , but very briefly...my laptop running Ubuntu Linux has power/battery issues ...
July 03, 2013 02:07PM
Hi Thwali
Open the tutorial folder on the CD. Go to the html file called PHP. That will open the index page and just start working through from there. Don't stress about me being on section 4, it is all pretty much smooth sailing until forms.
July 03, 2013 02:41PM
Thanks a lot guys, I also didn't know where to start since I haven't received my study materials yet. but I will start with the Homeandlearn website today and hope it will go well.
July 03, 2013 03:01PM
Hi Suzan

Both XAMPP and Notepad ++ are available for download off the internet - if you don't want to wait for the CD.

XAMPP is quite a large download though (about 90Mcool smiley which may, or may not be a problem depending on your internet connection. There is an instruction pdf on the CD on how to correctly install it, but if you're eager to start, download it, and ask me if you get stuck smiling smiley
July 03, 2013 09:34PM
Hi Susan
What is your suggestion how quickly should we through the sections? I do understand that U can work through it on your own time but I’m very concerned that I’m taking to long on sections? I can only work on it at night! Time time time…
July 03, 2013 10:04PM
Hi CharlesU

Is there any problems with Windows7 that u no off?

Best Wishes
July 04, 2013 11:22AM
Hi Murry,

I'm a novice on on the subject and have only seen complaints on Windows 8.
Whatever you do, don't upgrade to Internet Explorer 10. It wont play the game!
If you already have,download Firefox and enjoy! In semester one, some were
were having problems with Skype using the same port as Apache.

All the best!
July 04, 2013 06:54PM
CharlesU

Thanks. I'm using Firefox

Regards
Mac
July 05, 2013 09:34AM
Never install to Program Files on Win 7 / 8, but to C:/ as the former result in permission problems when creating files
Re: Section 3 Conditional Logic
July 05, 2013 08:21PM
Haven't finished with this section yet. Busy experimenting with The Switch Statement. Should be
useful when working with Forms.
July 06, 2013 04:26PM
Thanks Prof Mac

I actually did save it under my program Files (x86). But I will place it under my C: , thanks for the heads up

Cheers

M
July 07, 2013 07:18PM
Hi Prof Mac

My eclipse workspace follows C:\Program Files(x86)\EasyPHP\data\localweb\ . Am I okay
or should I be expecting another meltdown!

Thanks

CharlesU
Mac
July 08, 2013 09:33AM
It depends where you actually installed EasyPHP.. but you can change that path.
July 08, 2013 11:23AM
Hi Prof Mac

Will Do, just in case!

Thanks!
July 09, 2013 09:42AM
Hi,

I'm glad we are using the tutorial material from Home and Learn as I discovered their website some time ago (http://www.homeandlearn.co.uk) and I must say their material are excellently written for the total beginner. And not just for PHP but other courses as well (C#, Java etc). And all for free!

They also offer certificates, but those are just for pat-on-your-back use and not something you can flash on your CV grinning smiley

S
July 09, 2013 02:25PM
Hi Murray
I am really only studying at night too. The tutorial letter mentioned that we should give ourselves a month and a half before we start working on the assignment. That could be seen as 2 chapters per week or one chapter per week and start on the assignment half way through the course. Perhaps Prof Mac could suggest the best way to approach this?
July 09, 2013 11:02PM
Susan,
I think the tut letter mentioned that you should give yourself 1.5 months to program your final project. I reckon you can start on it as soon as you feel comfortable with the course material
Mac
July 10, 2013 08:35AM
Yes, it is not possible to give timelines... but using the forum you will see if you are falling "behind"
July 10, 2013 09:32AM
Good day,

I have read and understood Section One: An Introduction to PHP.

S
Mac
July 10, 2013 10:34AM
78114861-Thwali Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good morning All,
>
> I don't know it is because I'm slow, I really do
> not know where to start. or how to start. I tried
> to download HTML kit fromt the CD provided but
> from there I don't know where/how to start.
>
> I was under the impression that the letter
> (tutorial) will come with all the instructions for
> the CD (where/how) to start. and I'm getting more
> frustrated when I see comments from Suzan when she
> says she is now on Section 4 and others have
> already finished Section 1 which I cannot see or
> don't know where it is.
>
> Can someone please assist me?

From the tut letter: You want to start off by clicking on the following file on your CD: CSDW1WS\html\php\php.html.
July 11, 2013 09:06AM
Hi All

after a long struggle with installing Wamp and EasyPHP I'm now officially done with section 1. looking forward to starting with section 2 this afternoon as i work full time.

can't wait to continue with this course it seems very challenging.

And thanks to you all for the help with installing this apps.
July 11, 2013 03:26PM
all up and running
July 12, 2013 05:36PM
I use a virtual GNU/Linux ubuntu LAMP server hosted on virtualbox in my GNU/linux ubuntu 12.04 amd 64 laptop.

I use Gnote with syntax high lighting.. If there are any Linux users that need help setting up please feel free to give me a shout..
July 15, 2013 02:19PM
Hi Sipho

I am also running a similar setup the only difference is that i'm running my AMP server local or native if you like and using gedit as my editor. Do you thing because we are not using Windows we are at a disadvantage as the course material was writ en with Windows in mind? As far as I am aware it does not make a difference on what host you run your website.

If possible Prof Mac can give his input on this matter?

GD
Mac
July 15, 2013 03:35PM
All code should be portable, i.e. no matter where you develop it it should run on any server by making a few changes - typically related to the db connections. Said this way - I pull it from a Linux server into my editor on Windows, make changes and upload it back.
July 15, 2013 04:20PM
No I don't think we're at a disadvantage here bud..

One thing I've really become good at is finding ways of making Microsoft Windows apps run on UNIX/Linux..

As long as you have a web server with a php interpreter and your editor can save "*.php" extension and is capable of syntax highlighting, am sure we'll be OK.

I also use gedit for everything, its just as good as notepad++. I have a virtual XP on standby should I need to use Windows(I hardly ever need it). Otherwise WineHQ runs all my other windows stuff like Coreldraw, dreamweaver and MS Visual Expression e.t.c.....
July 16, 2013 08:33AM
Thanks for the reply. I was concerned that it may cause issues down the line.
July 16, 2013 10:34AM
Hi Guys

Just started and i'm using Xampp and notepad++.

No issues at the moment, I must say PHP is very interesting language the fact its executed on the server makes the whole process interesting.

Will see how the course continues.

Enjoy smile
July 16, 2013 11:13AM
July 16, 2013 11:23AM
Wow!!! Rush

Never thought Tutorials could be found on YouTube.

Thanks for the highlight thumbs up
July 16, 2013 11:34AM
July 16, 2013 12:18PM
Nice one Rush!!

I still have my eyes fixed on my letterbox and hoping it arrives soon..eye rolling smiley
July 16, 2013 01:36PM
Gouwem-77858204
Wow!!! Rush

Never thought Tutorials could be found on YouTube.

Thanks for the highlight

...Sarcastic Much....or genuinely surprised...smile
July 16, 2013 02:15PM
July 16, 2013 02:18PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login