Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

mysql_ deprecated

Posted by Shado77968239 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
May 24, 2013 01:59PM
Now that we are done with the course and we can relax I figured I would pass on some info to my fellow PHP coders.

The entire ext/mysql PHP extension, which provides all functions named with the prefix mysql_, is officially deprecated as of PHP v5.5.0 and will be removed in the future. use mysqli or PDO

Changelog

No need to stress now, you code will still work, just be mindful in future to use the new extensions when developing.

____________________________________________Nazi Coder____________________________________________

I'm not antisocial, I'm just not user friendly

"It's not a bug; it's an undocumented feature!" ~ some unknown Microsoft developer
Re: mysql_ deprecated
May 24, 2013 02:02PM
I saw that yesterday - as if I was going to change everything smile

Glen
May 24, 2013 02:14PM
I decided 2 months ago to not change it but it was a bit of a pain to get advise from the seeded php guys on the code forums as they all insisted that I had to change it before they will help.

Sometimes coders can be so anal!

____________________________________________Nazi Coder____________________________________________

I'm not antisocial, I'm just not user friendly

"It's not a bug; it's an undocumented feature!" ~ some unknown Microsoft developer
May 24, 2013 02:29PM
is it changing to mysqli? I saw that a while back, I am still using MySQL_ though.

you should also consider using prepare statements. apparently there is a benefit in that LOL, I haven't figure out how to do it. Ive done it once or twice, and it worked. but I can not do it without referencing at this stage.
Mac
May 24, 2013 04:05PM
Servers do not generally change over to updated versions of PHP/MySQL too soon, so it will still run for a few years. But yet. you need to plan for it.

Prepared statements is the way to go (for big sites especially). But as I always say - small steps....
May 25, 2013 12:15AM
Humm...wise words!

78026962 afojonny
May 27, 2013 10:08AM
I am trying to use mysqli in my new project, but it is quite a challenge from mysql. One has to think in a whole new way!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login