Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Portfolio

Posted by 77911997 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Portfolio
May 17, 2013 08:47AM
Hi All

did any1 of you try to do the following

1. Allow a user to register for more than one course at the same time. (extra marks awarded for this)
if so, when deleting/editing a course, how can I ensure that not all courses linked to this student are deleted or edited, but only the intended one.
eg. if a student registered 3 courses and wants to de-register 1 course. how can I make sure he/she doesn't get de-registered for all courses.

2. We give marks for added functionality that will require a change in the database structure, but which you do not need to code. For example, when you delete a course, you may want to delete all the students associated with that course. But after careful consideration, it makes sense to keep a history.

did anyone try this?
Re: Portfolio
May 17, 2013 02:28PM
I haven't even had the time to do those extras. But it sounds like it's possible. It's just going to need more logical thoughts.

A couple of our mates have submitted though...i'm sure they gave preference to the extras.

78026962 afojonny
May 17, 2013 03:33PM
I work for a college and getting rid of a course is not just a decision taken by and administrator to click the delete button and the course is gone. What I did is that I have a function that checks if there is any students currently registered for a course. If there is then all the students have to be de-registered first, before the course can be deleted. If the course is empty of any registrations then the course can be deleted. This will help prevent courses from being deleted while there are still students registered for them. In a live system there will also be a financial app connected to the registration app. Think what will happen if a course just gets deleted willy nilly!!!

77911997 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi All
>
> did any1 of you try to do the following
>
> 1. Allow a user to register for more than one
> course at the same time. (extra marks awarded for
> this)
> if so, when deleting/editing a course, how can
> I ensure that not all courses linked to this
> student are deleted or edited, but only the
> intended one.
> eg. if a student registered 3 courses and wants to
> de-register 1 course. how can I make sure he/she
> doesn't get de-registered for all courses.

>
>
>
> 2. We give marks for added functionality that will
> require a change in the database structure, but
> which you do not need to code. For example, when
> you delete a course, you may want to delete all
> the students associated with that course. But
> after careful consideration, it makes sense to
> keep a history.
>
> did anyone try this?
Re: Portfolio
May 17, 2013 03:55PM
impressive...this system keeps growing. I underestimated it. I think I will keep adding things till Sunday afternoon. I just have to remember to keep a backup, incase I mess It up last minute.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login