Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Portfolio Question

Posted by cindyn-77957377 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Portfolio Question
May 16, 2013 01:17AM
Hi

In the tut letter, one of the requirements for the Portfolio is to include:

'Folders to organise and store your web site images, java script and style sheets in, eg. subdirectories named "images", "js", and "css".'

Not sure if I am correct but I'm assuming this part is to be done when uploading the portfolio and does not include creating any other links from our site like the requirement for the Active participation.

Just checking, can someone please confirm.

Thanks
May 16, 2013 07:45AM
Yip, your correct. But note that you need to do a linked css file with all your "colouring in" of your website. This will make it easier so that all your pages has the same look and feel.

I hope I am clear?

Enjoy!

M
Re: Portfolio Question
May 16, 2013 08:46AM
I was also was a bit confused about this point, thought that maybe we need to send all our files to the lecturer when submitting the portfolio? If this is a requirement.

Maybe some feedback on this?

Warren
May 16, 2013 02:43PM
Well, if you're using FreeWebHostingArea to upload like suggested. You should see a button saying add new directory folder to your space. And you simply store your images etc in those folders so that when you use an image, it's URL would be something like "images/my_picture" instead of just storing your images in the main space.

Now for my question, would we need a linked JavaScript file? Or could we just do embedded where needed because I don't really think I'm in need of a JavaScript file since I used CSS for my roll-over menu system. There's no page where I'd actually need to use (so far) the same JavaScript code on different pages.
Mac
May 16, 2013 04:37PM
Good development practices dictate that you would store all your images, as an example, in a folder named images, and link to it using images/pic.jpg
Same with CSS, JS etc.

The choice to usee imbedded/inline/linked styles is yours. However, using an embedded style when several pages use the same is not good. See the rules on when to use what.
May 16, 2013 05:01PM
Ok great smiling smiley So linking my CSS and embedding my JS makes the most sense in my case smiling smiley
May 16, 2013 08:52PM
Thanks for the responses everyone, it's clear now.

smile
May 16, 2013 11:32PM
On this point, i would just like to add that if you wanted to create linked java-script pages (instead of embedding) the text book don't actually show an example of how to do this. I know its easy to just google it smile but still, could such an example possibly be added to the text book?

S
May 17, 2013 10:58AM
Thanks everyone for your feedback!

Mac, this may sound a bit strange, but I find it better to store all my files in ONE folder. It normally arrange them by type then I can easily distinguish between the type.

It also allows me to view the file names all at ones, rather than to go to each folder on my PC.

Warren
May 18, 2013 11:18AM
Hi people,

Just my 2 cents on this, you cannot only do this when uploading to your hosting location. You need to make provisions for it when creating your site locally. Eg. If you link to an image src="picture.jpg" then this would need to change to be src=".\images\picture.jpg"
May 20, 2013 08:15PM
Thanks everyone for your contribution to this forum, it has been very helpful.

Good luck !!
smile
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login