Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Portfolio: Fully functional website - General Question

Posted by Opperman77848217 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
avatar Portfolio: Fully functional website - General Question
February 20, 2013 05:23PM
Hi Mac,

I was wondering if I could use JavaScript based languages like jQuery or KnockoutJS in the project? Or would the examiners prefer that I stick to core JavaScript?

Regards.
Mac
Re: Portfolio: Fully functional website - General Question
February 20, 2013 09:14PM
You are most welcome to use advanced techniques!
avatar Re: Portfolio: Fully functional website - General Question
February 23, 2013 03:26PM
Also is the 8 pages required? I want to use a different technique... something like this: http://dangelicoguitars.com/
Mac
February 24, 2013 06:36PM
8 pages yes.

Not meaning to be overcritical..... but on the site you have posted... it takes forever to load sad smiley Images too large - remember some people only have 250MB of data... although this is an international site so sorry SAF's.. This site eats really data....

Why open up new windows when a link is clicked, as one example?

After 20 clicks I still do not know what this site is about? The menu is not user friendly.Mind you, the menu is at the bottom left? No, wait, this is a PowerPoint-type site. Great graphics, but I am getting bored sad smiley And I have recently bough a new guitar! smiling smiley Wait, I just realized that by clicking any graphic I am taken to a new page. The images do tell me anything about what is on the upcoming page, so it is guesswork sad smiley

Do not let cool graphics and transitions fool you.

P.S. Maybe I am just playing devil's advocate here smiling smiley

Let us have some more opinions about this site here!
February 25, 2013 10:50AM
I think the site [dangelicoguitars.com] has some really cool graphics (for a graphic design course I'd give it an A+) but personally, its really difficult to navigate. And loading it takes forever. I'm not really sure what the purpose is of the website. Are they selling guitars on-line? Are they offering on-line guitar tutorials? Who knows? After a max 2 minutes I left the site. It does however look really professional. Now I am a bit worried because if my fellow students can pull a website like that off then I'm in the wrong beginners class... smile

Dr Mac,

Is it OK if I add a ninth page for references? I prefer to reference everything I've used to build my website (even the picture I got from Google images) and I prefer to have them on as a list on a separate page.
Mac
February 25, 2013 12:00PM
I do not expect you to produce graphics/sites like this, so relax. This site will have received 10/10 for graphics, but much less in the other categories. See here http://osprey.unisa.ac.za/phorum/read.php?747,176006

You can add as many extra pages as you want.
February 25, 2013 10:51PM
Its time to leave chrome and switch to Firefox.. seriously tongue sticking out smiley

Yeah this website is extremely flashy but it was the "scrolling" website method that i was trying to emphasize smiling smiley
What I want to do is have a navigation bar that is always visible but that links to different ID's though out the page - aka different pages in one page (if that makes sense).
Instead of loading one page it loads the whole website, I understand that it will eat data (third world problems) but in my opinion things are going to move forward this way smiling smiley
But I will stick to the criteria tongue sticking out smiley

Sorry, I'm just trying to be experimental/innovative here so that I can use this website on my portfolio as well smiling smiley

P.S. Does the content have to be original or can I copy paste and just reference?
Mac
February 26, 2013 07:58AM
Make it original.... else you can just as well add Lorem Ipsum Lorem Ipsum Lorem Ipsum Lorem Ipsum on every page....!
March 02, 2013 02:18PM
I agree, the page is very hard to navigate. After my second visit I figured out that I could "scroll" through the history of the brand. Graphics are quite impressive though...
March 02, 2013 06:29PM
The site has nice pics and some interesting content but I probably wouldn't have waited for this website to load if it wasn't a topic of discussion. It does have cool effects but that doesn't help the overall design and usability of the site.
Why load all the pages at once if the users will probably not want to view all of them?

March 17, 2013 03:30PM
Nice to look at but not to navigate!
March 19, 2013 02:49PM
AWESOME!!!! eye popping smiley

Jho, that site is incredible. But because it took so long for the resources to load, I had difficulty enjoying the design.

With regards, to the knockoutjs, wow! Its a pity does not have a chapter on this.

Does any one have any more links, other than ?
March 21, 2013 08:19AM
NICE! But the loading does take some time and some people might loose interest and move on. The graphics are excellent, but the main problem is the navigation - there is no steering wheel to guide you in a direction.

But still love the vintage look and feel of the site, makes you feel like going into a 1960 movie special.

Regards,

M
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login