Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Databases on FreeWebHostingArea

Posted by 46470107 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Databases on FreeWebHostingArea
October 09, 2012 12:43PM
Hi everyone,

I found a bit of a snag, on the FreeWebHostingArea when I go to Manage DB it gives me all my login info & says I have full rights, but when I go to phpMyAdmin - Databases to create my own DB it says No Priviliges.
What can be the problem & solution, can I rename the default created DB? I can add more DB's but name gets generated for me.

Please advise.

Mac if I create my tables under the default DB will I be penalized or is it OK.
Mac
Re: Databases on FreeWebHostingArea
October 09, 2012 01:04PM
They create a db which you must use. This could have changed - I suggest you read the account information carefully. Getting it correct is part of the portfolio....
October 09, 2012 02:44PM
Hi Mac,

Here is a clause from FreeWebHost Area account info...
{
MySQL database Information:
You will get a limited number of free databases per account. But you can create other accounts and get as many free databases as you want.
ATTENTION!!! MySQL databases must be activated @ Account Manager >> Hit Create DB button.
MySQL HostName is localhost only. We don't allow external connections.
phpMyAdmin is located at http://6te.freewebhostingarea.com/pma/. Log in using MySQL username.
PhpMyAdmin (PMA) is a tool that will help you to administer your database. You don't have privileges to create a database with PMA because, as said before, databases must be created @ Account Manager using Create DB button.
Database details (db name, username) will be provided at Account Manager once you create the database.
}

As you can see we can't create our own DB we can just click on create DB and it generates 1 with its own name we can't specify a name, after creation can't edit or rename it either.
We can only then create our own Tables in the default DB with our names such as "user" & "books..."

I've changed my connect.php to point to their DB then in the pages include connect.php and point to my tables in that DB.

Everything works right only the DB name is not of my own choice.

Can you please verify this and advise us.

Is anyone else experiancing this???
Mac
October 10, 2012 09:07AM
As said... They create a db which you must use.
October 10, 2012 11:59AM
I also saw thing and just decided to use the database name given, It free I guess they do set some rules. If it works whats the problem.
October 16, 2012 09:22AM
Yup had the same issue now aswell. so I used the one they gave me and imported my tables into it because I didn't want to create new tables as I still wanted the test data I populated my tables with.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login