Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

CSS Lesson 4 general

Posted by RMcC-77729765 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
CSS Lesson 4 general
September 27, 2012 10:04AM
I really battled with this. It's mainly about browser differences: when to use relative, when to use absolute and when to bounce it off the margin. I'm currently looking back having done some work on my portfolio and of course with application it becomes more real and more frustrating. I can spend hours setting up a page to my satisfaction in Netscape, switch to IE and everything has to be re-aligned. I seem to have finally found a compromise which is working in all my browsers but am worried about those browsers that I don't have downloaded. In the end CSS positioning techniques for me are both magical and frustrating. The magic for me is in the precision factor: getting it placed exactly where I want it. The frustration is always switching to another browser and having to start again and rethink it. It also bothers me that when we use a technique there doesn't seem to be a way to know whether all browsers will support what is being done. This seems to make a mockery of the concept of standardisation.
Re: CSS Lesson 4 general
October 07, 2012 01:13PM
I experienced the same issues. I had to restart my portfolio a couple of times because the more I tried to fix the problem, the more I struggled and messed up my code to such an extent that it was best to just start from scratch again.

I finally realised I had to check everything I do, as I do it, in all the browsers I use to check compatibility. There are still some minor differences between the browsers that frustrate me as I like things to be perfect, but I've come to grips with the fact that I am still too much of a novice to sort these things out faster and I can't keep starting from scratch all the time.

That said, I'm not sure whether it's at all possible to have your website display exactly the same in all browsers.
Re: CSS Lesson 4 general
October 08, 2012 03:14PM
One thing I have learnt (the hard way) is the importance of backing up before starting to make changes. A lot of good work can get lost in the process of making changes and it is useful to be able to go back and see what was done before.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login