Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

CSS: Lesson 1: Topic E

Posted by antiother-77681541 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
July 09, 2012 02:19PM
for the sake of users using text readers and visual aides, it's still nice to use the <strong> or <em> tags and then edit those with css so it implies emphasis or strong emphasis when those words are spoken.
avatar Re: CSS: Lesson 1: Topic E
July 09, 2012 06:57PM
http://www.nngroup.com/ has pretty bad typography. they could use some headings since they have none that i can see, and they should change their font size to a px or em value instead of using keywords. the text colour scheme is okay though, if not sliiiightly monotonous and in use of depreciated attributes in the html and "web safe" colours. Some sizes, and maybe some letter spacing in the heading and logo would work wonders too. I'm not going to get started on the other aspects of this site because then it would take so long i would need a publisher and have this post copyrighted and be on oprah.
avatar Re: CSS: Lesson 1: Topic E
July 09, 2012 07:11PM
with the speed of internet connections today, i don't think there's any reason for internal css in place of external for a page other than specificity and even so, you could just be more spicific with your selector to achieve the result. that's a part of what web design is about. being able to structure you page in such a way that everything flows together. all roads lead to rome, but i'd rather walk the well structured straight road instead of having to jump between bridges if that makes sense. it's easier to work if you can manipulate all the css from a single source instead of having to jump back and forth between your internal and external style sheets.
Re: CSS: Lesson 1: Topic E
July 30, 2012 03:06PM
CSS gives you great control over the way your text is displayed.
August 07, 2012 06:58PM
I enjoyed this, but I don't think I will use the font shorthand much. I like to see exactly what is what (control-freakmoody smiley)

I am not sure if one should use relative of absolute units in font sizes. I have several family members who are visually impaired and I think they would like to enlarge the font on any site - although changing the zoom-level seems to work with both relative and absolute
August 08, 2012 09:23AM
I agree that we should be sensitive to user needs. After all that is what the site is for - so that users can find it a friendly place to be.

On font families I found a website that I have bookmarked which gives the family groups and examples of what they look like: http://www.w3.org/Style/Examples/007/fonts.en.html
September 27, 2012 09:03PM
I preferred using relative sizing so that the font size displayin the View menu can change the text.
October 01, 2012 05:16PM
Those I'm likely to use are the relative measurements and the font-variant property.
It seems as though I'm bringing up the rear, and panic is starting to set in!
Onward and upward!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login