Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Assignment 1

Posted by Darius123 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Assignment 1
February 01, 2012 08:54PM
I'm a bit unsure of how to complete assignment 1.
I understand the requirements, but there are a few different ways we could fullfil them.
I could just stick one document on a server, and say "print <name><student number><etc>",
but I can't see how I could get marks for that... I could set up a database and read the info from there,
or I could put the info in a file, and read it from there...

Is there a correct way?
What method are you all gonna use?
February 02, 2012 10:22AM
I might be wrong on this, but here's what I understand and am doing.

The first page that we're submitting is an index page and won't yet have access to the database.

It is also needs to be as small as possible, since everything needs to be submitted on a single A4 page on myunisa as well as to the email address per Tut1.

I'm using a combination of html and php, with html giving the basic structure to the page, and the php displaying the information required. Remember you also need to put everything into a text file, that the lecturers can link to from your web page and open to see the code used.

Also, assignment 1 doesn't normally count for much in the way of marks, usually about 10% of your total year mark.

I believe, that all the lecturers are looking for is that we've started doing the work, and have a basic understanding of what's going on
Re: Assignment 1
February 03, 2012 10:44AM
I

think they just want us to use php to out put info to the browser.
i'm not going to read from the database or file.
i will just put my info on the page.
February 06, 2012 09:56AM
Thanks dudes!

I think I'll do the same.
Mac
February 06, 2012 12:49PM
Well, you learn to put a php file on a server. That is a significant step for many.
February 07, 2012 02:17PM
Hi guys!

I just registered today and need some help on downloading the disk they are talking about on the tutorial.Your response will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.
Mac
February 08, 2012 10:46AM
You should have received a CD?
February 08, 2012 11:54AM
Hi,

Nope, not sure about other people, but I didn't receive a CD either, and there was no notification that there should have been one on the content notification sheet.

However, Brenda, if you read the Tutorial Letter Under Section 4.4 there is a URL that you can use to download the contents of the CD:

http://osprey.unisa.ac.za/temp/ICT2613

n.b. make sure you use caps where specified or you will just get a 404 error
February 10, 2012 10:09AM
It looks like most of us we did not receive CDs for this module. Mac can you please query this issue to the dispatch department, because i have called the despatch department and they told me that everything was delivered but how ever i did not receive a CD on my study material
Mac
February 10, 2012 11:00AM
March 02, 2012 12:30PM
Good afternoon Mac,

I have completed assignment 1 and saved the code as .php. Now the code does not perform as expected. However when I save the code as .html, the code works perfectly. Specifically, saved as php: The link does not center, the link does not open the code.txt in a new window of specific size. Saved as .html everything work perfectly. Any suggestions?
Mac
March 05, 2012 07:03AM
Difficult to say because I don't see your code. Leave it as html then.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.