Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

CSP MORE MONEY

Posted by dve83 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
CSP MORE MONEY
May 24, 2012 07:51AM
finding the CSP and

c4 c3 c2 c1
S E N D
M O R E
M O N E Y

very time consuming and less easy to solve.

I choose C4 and M = 1.
Then need to choose c3. If We choose wrong here, It takes very long to realize it (for exam purposes this is critical - and I feel I might be missing something here, because in order to select the value that is least constraining, we need to first assign the value and check its results)

suppose I choose c3 = 0,
the S + M = 0 can be completed by S = 9. Thus 9 + 1 = 10 carry 1.
if C3 = 1, then 8 + 1 + C3 = 10 carry 1
there arent other options because we cannot have O = 1 and cannot obtain a value of 12 in any way.
Now which one to choose?

I chose C3 = 0, and now we need to choose c2. I can see this needs to be 1 else E = N (because O = zero)
Now we need to choose C4, but I can find no intelligent way of filling this without still having to then first check all its results. (hoping you might have some advice here)
I have tried just going on by selecting E, but this also leads to numerous iterations. Now in the back of mind is this: If I can find no solution, then I need to backtrack to where I chose C3=0 and rather try C3 = 1 - which then results in the same exercise again.

Based on the algorithm in R&N, the choosing of Variables is quite easy, choosing the value requires us to check how the other variables are constrained as result (how much there domain shrinks). Less us assume such assignment restricts 2 variables x and y to domains (1..5) and (2..6), then we would have to fill these as well until we find a NO solution and then backtrack up the tree.

Any hints?

Danie van Eeden
------------------------
Re: CSP MORE MONEY
May 24, 2012 02:42PM
I cant help much, but the link below may help:

http://s4.zetaboards.com/science/topic/7693756/1/
May 24, 2012 04:26PM
This takes very long...the very nature of it is long because of having to assume the values for the carry...
I have uploaded a screen shot to google docs...

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bxp0-byG7eZ7TnpORlZPSk9rLXc

IMHO it should be sufficient that if you know how to write a computer program to solve the question, you should be able to get the marks for the question.
May 24, 2012 04:49PM
hi yes,

I have finally worked through the whole thing, but in order to get E = 5, are assumptions required for carry digits 2 and 3. And if they dont work, you have to backtrack and replace your previously selected values. Basically the algorithm, to me, is a brute force method. So yes, I concur, it takes very long but its possible to solves if you spend the time. I just hope they ask us a slightly 'easier' one: one where the domains shrink fast enough to come to the answer more quickly.

thanks for the reply though - Im going to work through the link you sent me again - I'd like to follow on how they got R.

Danie van Eeden
------------------------
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login