Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Windows 8

Posted by Mac 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Mac
Windows 8
October 28, 2012 05:15PM
Don't bother..... Installed full version 3 months ago and uninstalled a week later. A tablet interface is a tablet interface. A PC is not a tablet. What improvements there are deeper down (and there are some) are not worth the silly layer on top. And neither are more clicks to get do what took a click or two before.

Want to spring clean your PC? Install Windows 8, reformat and install any other OS you can think of.
October 28, 2012 07:22PM
@Mac: Just completed my download of Windows 8 yesterday ......
So, what do I do with it now? eye popping smiley confused smiley
October 29, 2012 12:07AM
Sadly, one can almost say the same thing for Ubuntu 12.04. Same basic problem, I think.

I've persisted with it, because it's the long term support version, and the old folk around here need that; but it's really a tablet interface I have no need of on a PC. This PC was the "TV set" for a few years for pity's sake! It has a 23 inch monitor. (Well worth it if you're thinking of getting one).

One does get accustomed to the interface after a while, I have to say. For one thing the Ubuntu changes lead one back toward the true path, where one types instructions, and away from the deceptions of the point and click world. To find less used programs you have to type their names in "Dash" now, instead of digging around in deep menu structures.

Worst thing is that the sound was borked, and Wine doesn't seem to be interested in GTA any more. Sound required a fix I've forgotten. (Just remember you need to do a restart - of the sound server, but the lazy way is to just restart everything - before the changes come into effect. If any of you has a pulse audio sound problem since changing I can dig up the solution again if you don't find it yourself.)

Ja. "New improved version" and someone's done an experiment that involves messing up the quite adequate way you had of interfacing with the screen, and someone else has destroyed your sound ... For no good reason at all, surely?
Mac
Re: Windows 8
October 29, 2012 07:52AM
Reanie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> @Mac: Just completed my download of Windows 8
> yesterday ......
> So, what do I do with it now? eye popping smiley confused smiley

Don't just take my word for it. Try it, if you feel the same, you get a spring clean out of it smiling smiley Else keep it until you get more feedback from others?

But maybe slow_eddy is correct. One just needs to get used to it, although this is not like the new Office ribbons. This is just... silly. I have picked up that Ubuntu is not what is used to be...
October 29, 2012 12:00PM
It's been overtaken by Mint Linux according to Distrowatch ... But really this is just Debian overtaking Debian (and GNU overtaking GNU if you bring something like SuSE into the picture).

In a sense it'll "always be what it was" - ie. the original painless Desktop Linux - more or less without touching a configuration file. There were desktop Linuces before, but it took all sorts of fiddling to get the horrible winmodem on one's laptop to make tweety noises, and even more fiddling to get sound working. Ubuntu managed to get to the point where you click to install, and really all distros that can do that now are sort of running a bit of Ubuntu even if they don't acknowledge it.

(Sorry. Gotta go sneak out the toilet window. There's an assassin from GNU who's just gone past the window looking very livid...)

Ah.. just in parting ... if you want the old Windows Desktop feel, I'm pretty sure there's a Linux distro out there that can give you exactly what you desire. (Or near enough for you to only have to self-configure a tiny bit of it).
Mac
October 29, 2012 04:04PM
Linuces.... I have learned at new word just this side of 50 smiling smiley
October 30, 2012 12:16PM
smile It's possible that it's a word with fairly restricted usage (eg. only really used by the Osprey tribe of South-Central Africa). "Unices" is one that has been adopted reasonably widely, so "Linuces" would be inherited from that usage.

... And actually I don't know whether I've seen "Linuces" before, or whether it just "spilled out" as a consequence of exposure to "Unices"...

... That's almost interesting, isn't it? The one thing I'm almost certain I didn't do is "think it up", so it's perhaps an example of some emergent property of an essentially chaotic language system (is that the correct term?).
November 12, 2012 01:02PM
Well I could almost apologise to Ubuntu ...

They steer you quite strongly toward the more tablet-like interface, as mentioned above there, but there's a "clicky" way to opt out of this after all. As there should be. Linux is all about choice, isn't it? Well it's all about all sorts of other things too, but choice is one of the things it's all about.

They've hidden the choice away, that's all. If you really want, you can log in in "gnome" mode. There's a little button next to your username that you should try clicking. The rest will all be self evident.

Phew! They've bordered on forcing one to use a particular form of interaction by the subtlety of it all, but there's still choice. Freedom to choose a worse way of doing things is not something to be taken away from users lightly.
November 12, 2012 01:59PM
So, I did the brave step and installed Windows 8. Except for the colourful Start screen, which I'll have to learn to work with, the rest of the stuff seems alright.
I did have some difficulties with the new Lenovo laptop. angry smiley
There's a "known" error "WerFault.exe - Application error occurs". which is caused by the Lenovo 'Onekey Theater' application. If you uninstall it, the base Windows functionality works - like right-click on Dir structure. This does not happen when you do a "clean" install, only when you want to keep your current settings (which I wanted to do).
That's beside the fact that the Lenovo Energy Management and USB 3.0 drivers are not compatible and need to be uninstalled before you can continue. There's a list of drivers that must be installed in the Lenovo product forum, will try them out tonight.
I don't know if other laptops/PCs have similar problems.
November 12, 2012 02:11PM
From what I've heard, that's quite unusual, right? Windows not just working out the box, I mean. I would've thought people like Lenovo would've been working on being Windows 8 ready for a year or more already by now, and would've at least swept any outstanding problems under the carpet for later.

Well once you're done there, with all that memory you'll be able to instal one of the virtual machine apps, and make yourself a Linux sandbox in there that runs as if it's just part of the rest of the system to outward appearances.

Why? Well "sandbox" can't be such a terrible idea, surely?
November 12, 2012 11:45PM
@Slow_Eddy: Now why would I want to go and spoil my nice Microsoft environment when I (currently) only need to be able to work in .Net (Visual Studio 2012)?
But, at some stage I'll have to do the "Java" thing as well, then I'll take out my spades and buckets to play in the sand with a cuppa in the hand. smiling bouncing smiley

November 13, 2012 11:11AM
grinning smiley ... Linus ...

Yes, I suppose after installing Virtualbox and Silmarilion Hobbit Linux one might just get a "and now what?" kind of feeling.

Although really "what" is simply a matter of finding some way of breaking something, so it needn't be a difficult question. Just imagine: you're in the missile silo, the operators have gone out for their tea break and left you there all alone, bored and inquisitive (ie. lethal) ... and you think ... "I wonder what would happen ..."

Well in this scenario it's some other planet that starts sprouting the pretty little mushrooms, so it's at least someone else's problem.

... can't find it ... Far Side cartoon with moon critters looking at all the purty mushrooms appearing on Earth and saying "Oooo"
Mac
November 13, 2012 02:59PM
@ Reanie - just had a wireless card driver problem on a Dell XPS (relatively old machine but still the best smiling smiley) . Could get no update, but it sort of worked. Could live with that, but not with the start screen.... ! Too much navigation required to jump between programs.
November 14, 2012 09:30AM
@Mac: Haven't had much time to play around on the new laptop - will hopefully be able to do so during the weekend. I'll see how I manage with the blocks .
February 08, 2013 01:42PM
flying quite ohkay for me. probably cause it came preinstalled on my Fujitsu lifebook. smiling smiley a breeze
Mac
May 08, 2013 04:57PM
Not surprisingly, the upcoming update will see the return of the Start button. Took them a while to figure that one out, but at least they are listening - this time.Money talks.

Picked up there are alternatives available http://www.extremetech.com/computing/141702-how-to-bring-the-start-menu-and-button-back-to-windows-8 but I'd rather wait for the real deal.
May 09, 2013 11:34PM
Hi Mac,
I've gotten past the "loss" of the Start button links by putting my most important links on the bottom taskbar. The only other time I really use the new Start screen, is when I want to play Minesweeper. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
R
Mac
May 10, 2013 08:13AM
He he.....

I have about 25 important apps smiling smiley
June 11, 2013 06:46PM
i hate apps. i really do.
July 18, 2013 09:38AM
I was forced to downgrade to Windows 8 at work. It is blatantly clear that the people who designed the interface did not take into account people with OCD or any sense of organisation. I can't understand why Windows 8 and Unity have done away with the menu.

Not to worry though, I found an "app" which simulates the old start menu. www.pokki.com You can even set it so that it pops the menu up when you press the Windows key instead of switching to the tablet interface.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login