Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Upload portfolio

Posted by ronk 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Upload portfolio
October 01, 2011 04:44PM
Good evening mac i just want to ask you that if i can upload my portfolio on the assignment 1 account or you still busy correcting .
and another problem is do we have to start from scratch creating the database on mysql or we can just upload the files that contain the database from the localhost?
Enjoy your weekend.
Mac
Re: Upload portfolio
October 03, 2011 07:10AM
You can upload.
You can use the same databse - you are just adding new tables to it.
October 03, 2011 04:20PM
thank you for replying but now I did upload my portfolio on a new site , Is it a problem if the site does not contain my student number?
Mac
October 04, 2011 07:54AM
No, because you are going to send me your site address inwith your mylife account
October 04, 2011 01:42PM
where must the portfolio be uploaded to?
we saw from the first assignment FWHA is not the most stable solution can we use a server of choice?
is the submission on the MyUnisa site enough for the purpose? ie add all code and screen shots of the site?
how do we ensure the MySql DB holds up when marking as we have little control over the site after its uploaded
Mac
October 05, 2011 06:22AM
Read the tut letter:

Create the application on your PC, make sure it works, and then upload it to the Free Web Hosting area (see tut 101). Keep in mind you need to visit your web site at least once a month else it is automatically deleted.

Then read the forum....

http://osprey.unisa.ac.za/phorum/read.php?564,152988

Then read the tut letter again:

You DO NOT submit this portfolio via myUnisa. You send it directly to xxxxxxxx, using your myLife email account.
October 05, 2011 09:03AM
morning mac i meant, the domain name of the site need necessary to contain a student number like studentnumber.zxq.net or i can put whatever i want e.g myapplicationname.zxq.net
Mac
October 05, 2011 09:44AM
ronk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> morning mac i meant, the domain name of the site
> need necessary to contain a student number like
> studentnumber.zxq.net or i can put whatever i want
> e.g myapplicationname.zxq.net

Preferably your stduent number - it makes it just so much easier. Else at least you surname.
October 07, 2011 05:55PM
good evening mac concerning the zipped file , Is it a zipped folder or a zipped file?
Mac
October 07, 2011 06:07PM
A folder can be zipped as a zipped file - they key word is it is zipped. That is, the zipped folder ends up as a file. Even if there are no visible folders, it still is a folder (a root folder), therefore a folder can be zipped as a file, but it remains a zipped folder in essence. But it is also a file - a zipped file, which may contain folders when it is eventually unzipped.

After THAT explanation, I will recess my feet into a recliner for the rest of the weekend smiling smiley
October 10, 2011 10:16AM
i have created a data base on free hosting site www.46346651.freeoda.com and upload my work which works very well but this Monday morning every thing was deleted including the database tables. i try to use the wuba free hosting site but it is too complicated. what should i do, because am confuse
Mac
October 10, 2011 10:22AM
October 10, 2011 01:53PM
Good afternoon mac, do we have to send the portfolio(attached file and link of the website) using the same email address used for assignment 1?
October 10, 2011 04:20PM
@ Ronk, read the tut letter or other resources, you will find all the needed information.
October 11, 2011 10:41AM
@jdfkat i read it already i was not answered that's why I'm asking this question to prof mac.
@mac please i just need your confirmation.
October 13, 2011 03:28PM
It is more reliable to use a paid hosting service, then at least you can rely on good support from the hosting company. Legitimate hosting companies also provide backups of your files in case of those times when your database or files mysteriously disappear! I can recommend a few good companies who offer student discounts and sometimes free hosting if you motivate it in a letter, eg. http://www.uniwebserve.com or http://www.uniwebsa.com or http://www.webhostingweb.co.za - best of luck!
October 17, 2011 01:12PM
Hey mac m struggling to upload my portfolio, here on my PC it is working perfectly without giving me any error, what i did is i have successfully created my database on the server but my pages dnt link over the network but when i work on them here at school they are linking.
Mac
October 17, 2011 02:34PM
There could be a 100 reasons..... I do not know what to advise you. Are your form links correct? You need to struggle with this a bit. It is a HTML issue, not a PHP issue.
October 17, 2011 03:45PM
check your connect page if you have the correct server name and password. Remember on your computer mysql_connect("localhost","root",""winking smiley on the web hosting area mysql_connect("name of their server","your username","your password"winking smiley;
confused smiley Re: Upload portfolio
October 19, 2011 03:04PM
Hi mac
I wanted to submit my portfolio today but I receive the following:
Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:

@#$%& : your email address.
Your message wasn't delivered due to a permission or security issue. It may have been rejected by a moderator, the address may only accept e-mail from certain senders, or another restriction may be preventing delivery.

The following organization rejected your message: UMKN-EDG01.int.unisa.ac.za.confused smiley
Mac
October 19, 2011 03:32PM
Just keep on trying. I cannot speak for Unisa mail issues. Other portfolios that are zipped are coming through, so consider it a temp issue.
sad smiley Re: Upload portfolio
October 20, 2011 10:55AM
Anyone already submitted his/her portfolio, how did you manage to submit? I tried 8-times without luck and it makes me anxious now.
What do you think the problem is? I even split the folder into two zipped folders.And I'm using my life account so i don't know why this UNISA thing preventing us.sad smiley
sad smiley Re: Re: Upload portfolio
October 20, 2011 10:04PM
Do not forget typing the subject for your email message. Mail Servers will treat your message as spam & even reject it.
confused smiley Re: Upload portfolio
October 21, 2011 11:46AM
@Mphixifiy I did everything that is on the TUT Letters.confused smiley
Mac
October 21, 2011 02:03PM
Then I suggest you upload it to virtual space, and send me the link as your portfolio. Keep the link alive until well into December.
October 25, 2011 12:16PM
Mac suggest I upload to virtual space, but I'm struggling to find one. The only Virtual space I saw was for buying domain names.
October 25, 2011 04:30PM
Hi Mac,

I just need clarity on one thing, the portfolio requirements state that the portfolio should have 7 pages, what I need to know is, is it a problem if the pages are more than 7?
October 25, 2011 07:59PM
hi mac. can i use a different e-mail since i haven't found my password for mylife and i have tried to search for it everywhere i cant found it. i really don't know what to do now.
October 25, 2011 08:08PM
Hi Sishokhoza, cant they reset the password for you?
October 26, 2011 05:15AM
I have tried that and they have asked me to fill in sam informatin and my problem is that somebody else registerd fr me and he's no longer with me nw
October 26, 2011 05:20AM
Hi zeish! i have tried that alot and they ask me to fill in some informatn and my prblem is somebody else registerd for me and he's no longer wd me nw so i don't have any informatn abt my registration
Mac
October 26, 2011 06:41AM
You can have more than 7 pages - but the if/else's must be in there as described in the tut letter.
This email address is making life very difficult for me..... this is the last email I allow that is not sent by mylife.
October 26, 2011 07:18AM
Mrng mac! so i can use a different email adress?
Mac
October 26, 2011 07:25AM
That is what I said but do not come running to me if problems arise!
October 26, 2011 03:26PM
Hi mac
I founded it difficult to submit using virtual space as I didn't know how to get one, I submitted the codes without zipping them and they went through.I also sent a copy to myself but it was only for testing.
Mac
October 27, 2011 06:51AM
Just rename the .zip to .jpg and I will rename it this side.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login