Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Study notes collaboration

Posted by Mac 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Mac
Study notes collaboration
March 23, 2011 08:14AM
I will make study notes from a previous student (Alain Craven, 2010) available to you as a resource, in doc format. I would like you to improve on it where you can. That does not mean you should just add content where you can - it must remain lean, so you should only add or change what you think is essential. It not about quantity, but quality. It would be nice if you can then share your (hopefully improved) notes with other students.

In addition I would like you to start with similar study notes on other sections. You can organise yourself into groups here on the forum (create topics e.g. Themes Group, Techniques Group, Tools Group and announce yourself willing to contribute within a single group). Here I am inclined to say that only students who contribute study notes should have access to other students' study notes smoking smiley. You can make use of open-source collaborative software (which I will install on Osprey - But which one?. For some reason Horde sticks in my mind.... And ideally someone to take charge as project manager for a group.

Or a Wiki?

Comments?
Mac
Re: Study notes collaboration
March 24, 2011 03:53PM
Is.there.anybody.out.there? confused smiley
April 01, 2011 09:05AM
Hi Mac

I think that is a great idea. Due to the number of subjects i am taking this year, i find that typing notes are much quicker for me anyways.
Did you have feedback from any other students yet?

Niri
Mac
April 01, 2011 12:26PM
No one else has posted here.... so I have given up. I guess when it come to a week before the exams, then panic will result in more responses smiling smiley
April 01, 2011 04:05PM
Thanks Mac. This is great idea. Alain Craven must have done really well for you punt his notes as quality. Also note that some people only have access to the network via internet cafe' or through the employer's network. In which case, any installation of some software might not be possible because they would not have administration rights. Maybe you should consider a Wiki.
Mac
April 04, 2011 10:03AM
The software I referred to was web-based collaborative software that will install on our server.....
April 05, 2011 01:46PM
I would like to be involved in this....smiling smiley
April 05, 2011 03:42PM
To Mac
I am repeating this subject and I wonder where i went wrong in the exam, is it possible to ge the Jan/Feb exam as well as the solution? I did well in all my assignments, but clearly I MISSED the boat somewhere...
Mac
April 06, 2011 08:07AM
Unfortunately not..... exams are not treated like assignments. While there is a memo (for markers) we do not make it available - you can only apply for a remark.

As I responded to another student: – for every answer give defintions/facts in the discussion. This is where most students fall short, i.e. they discuss a case study in depth, but fail to provide some definitions (or facts). It always is a balance. It does not have to a 100% defintion from the handbook, but a general defintion e.g. if the question has to do with a methodology, then give a run-down of what a methodology is before discussing how it relates to the case
April 07, 2011 07:17AM
Thank you so much for the tip, I did not do that in my exam, and I guess I fell short. Looking forward to this year though smiling smiley
April 19, 2011 03:54PM
Hi Mac

Some of the students don't know about this forum. From chatting to guys they are all eager to contribute.

i have mailed this link to them... and hopefully they should be here soon. We have already started a make shift study group...

The idea is solid thumbs up I will def contribute

I'm not as technically inclined as most so the idea of a wiki is "comfortable" however, I dont mind learning how to use the open source collaborative software.
April 29, 2011 10:17AM
Hi Mac

I think this is a good idea and would also like to be involved.

where do i sign?
avatar Re: Study notes collaboration
April 29, 2011 10:20AM
Hi Mac,
I would also like to have a look at these study notes
Mac
April 29, 2011 11:26AM
Of course you want to have a look at it because it means you do not have to summarize the section smiling smiley

Question is, what will you give back? This is what I am alluding to

> only students who contribute study notes should have access to other students' study notes
April 29, 2011 12:37PM
If everyone contributes their own study notes, there will be far to many versions of the same information.
Would it not be better if a single good version of someones study notes is chosen, in which additions/corrections can be made?
With a comments, or further explanation interface. Maybe this interface can also have a voting system in which users can help new
users finding the most liked information.
Mac
April 29, 2011 02:20PM
Yes, that is exactly why I suggested collaboration software smiling smiley All that is required is the software, and I will install it on Osprey. I have not worked with any open source collaboration software, so I need suggestions - and keen students who will contribute exactly in this manner. I would hate it if this module is negated to mere credits that must be obtained in order to obtain a degree sad smiley

I want collaboration. It is to the benefit of all involved - including me.
May 11, 2011 01:45PM
I am happy to contribute from time to time if allowed. I did this module in 2010, and am doing Master's work in the field.
Mac
May 11, 2011 04:15PM
That is honorable! You just gave me an idea - to get a student doing an M to manage this - and get an M out of it! I owe you!
May 13, 2011 08:19PM
I am interestted in contributing to this group, is there any group existing? Mac when can we expect the study notes,so that we start working on it to improve quality as you indicated.
you also mentioned that you will install Horde or Wiki,but how are we going to access it so that we can make proper contribution, your instruction at the first paragraphy are not clear.

Thanks Ince

Thanks in advance,
Ince Chauke
Cell: 083 716 5543
"Great Knowledge is the key to sucess"
Mac
May 16, 2011 06:41AM
I said I need someoene to come back with a proposal on hwo to collobarate, i.e. what free software they suggest.
Mac
May 20, 2011 08:03AM
It seems this will not materialize. I have made Craven's study notes available "voetstoets" That is, I do not make it available to you as official study material. I supply it to serve as an example of nicely structured notes. If you want to share your notes with other students, then just send it to me and I will upload it to the resources folder.
May 21, 2011 01:45PM
Thanks Mac, I will see if I can put together a soft copy of my notes. But with 10 honours subjects, I cant promise anything.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login