Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Research vs plagiarism

Posted by DesmondMpofu 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Research vs plagiarism
September 20, 2011 05:03PM
I have realised that with google you can virtually google for all scripts we need, I am not sure whether that is research thumbs up or plagiarism thumbs down....I know customizing the code is a mission at times.....plz advise
avatar Re: Research vs plagiarism
September 20, 2011 06:03PM
Wow interesting thought,
I would say it depends, if someone is helpful enough to share some code online then thats cool, ill use it guilt free
Where i think the line is crossed is when people reverse engineer a program or website(like cool original JavaScript that was written for a specific site)
then that's not cricket

Also seems the future is going in the direction of open source and frameworks etc sharing is caring smiling smiley

Also when people talk to me about plagiarism(in regard to design) I usually like to drop this little play on one of Oscars Wildes quotes
You shouldn't worry when people copy your work, you should worry when they don't
winking smiley
September 20, 2011 08:06PM
another thing i think is important, is if you are learning php and development and just mindlessly pasting code, ur shooting yourself in the foot.
The hours i have spent deciphering other peoples code is teaching me a lot, it's almost an inevitability that a beginner will use and learn from other peoples code imo
September 21, 2011 09:04AM
Every new developer at one stage or another comes across other developers code that they use/change to how they want it to work.

There's so many scripts out there for free ready for developers to use, the problem comes in is that you need to understand the code which takes time, you can copy and paste the code but if there's a problem later with the code and you need it fixed immediately then you in trouble.

It's much better to write your own code, it's faster you understand the code and it's a learning experience.

Idea:
What you do is, when you develop these scripts you save a copy of it somewhere in your dev environment so that later on you can use it again for a different project,
as time goes you will have a whole lot of your own scripts that you can use, you won't need to google for it smiling smiley

But then again there might be some developers who are like, if it's out there why build it again ( Why re-invent the wheel ? )...

student no: 77315138
Mac
Re: Research vs plagiarism
September 21, 2011 09:34AM
Why write code that is available in the public domain? I'm trying to instill in you the value of collaboration, which is what the availability of such code is. Hopefully you will contribute as well! As long as you keep license agreements (if there are) in place, you can use what you want. Knowing how to use (and adapt) it, is a skill.
September 23, 2011 09:53AM
Thanks for all info guys.

I often find code and copy - paste, has become a huge friend of mine but agree with Mac.
It can usually save time which is quite precious. The task comes in when one needs to get the code working for your own program.
This is when development becomes part of our growth aspects. smile
September 28, 2011 03:10PM
Here at the CSIR (Council for Scientific and Industrial Research) the question has been asked: "when is it Research and when is it plagiarism?
A talk delivered by Dr Derek Keats and Anton de Wet gave their audience much to consider as they explored different perspectives on Free and open-source software (FOSS) in terms of research, innovation, business and economics.To quote Dr Keats: "Free and open-source software (FOSS) is liberally licensed to grant the right of users to use, study, change, and improve its design through the availability of its source code. This approach has gained both momentum and acceptance as the potential benefits have been increasingly recognised by both individuals and corporations. FOSS is like a catalyst – it lowers the barriers of entry to innovation,” he noted. Some examples of highly successful enterprises built on FOSS include Ubuntu, Google and Facebook.

But as Mac says:
Knowing how to use (and adapt) it, is a skill.

*- SN 77351959 -*
October 19, 2011 10:58AM
That's great to know Mac smiling smiley Helps a lot going over code that already works and adapting it. After learning what everything means I'm finding it easier to adapt and change code to suit what I need smiling smiley
October 27, 2011 10:18PM
mmmmm research...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login