Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Soln Problem 7 Pg 200 of TB

Posted by Kerneels 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Soln Problem 7 Pg 200 of TB
May 09, 2011 11:50PM
I think the solution(solution given in Tut 202) of Problem 7 , Page 200 in the Textbook is slightly incorrect. The problem states clearly that for every placement a record goes into the job history table. Should it not be the case that each job history record is linked to at least 1 placement record and at most 1 placement record? so the 0..1 under the placement box should actually be 1..1? Similarly the 0..1 left of the job history box (I say box but i mean entity) should be 1..1 as well, since every placement is linked to exactly 1 job history record?
avatar Re: Soln Problem 7 Pg 200 of TB
May 10, 2011 12:04AM
That makes sense to me.

In a case where there were exceptions to the every placement has job history entry rule you could have a 0, but not in this case.

I suppose the way to deal with such things tomorrow is to be as clear about what you mean as possible, and to justify your choices as much as you can. Then at least you give them an excuse to give you an extra mark for "making a good mistake" if it turns out you're wrong. (I mean ultimately they want you to think about what you're doing, don't they? So this provides the evidence)
Re: Soln Problem 7 Pg 200 of TB
May 10, 2011 12:28AM
slow_eddy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That makes sense to me.
>
> In a case where there were exceptions to the every
> placement has job history entry rule you could
> have a 0, but not in this case.
>
> I suppose the way to deal with such things
> tomorrow is to be as clear about what you mean as
> possible, and to justify your choices as much as
> you can. Then at least you give them an excuse to
> give you an extra mark for "making a good mistake"
> if it turns out you're wrong. (I mean ultimately
> they want you to think about what you're doing,
> don't they? So this provides the evidence)

They want us to think ? What I am thinking is if they were thinking when they provided the solution.
Re: Soln Problem 7 Pg 200 of TB
May 10, 2011 01:19AM
Spotted another one. Solution (in Tut202) of Problem 7 Page 232. Problem clearly states that the company keeps a Job history on all mechanics. It does not say that it keeps a Job history on all employees. So why is the relationship between the Job History and Employee entities instead of between Job History and Mechanic Entities?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login