Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Page 318

Posted by dve83 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Page 318
October 31, 2011 05:23PM
Just a bit of concern here:

we're given 3 valid formulas on page 314 . THey are always true in all worlds in all models.
Then on page 218 we are given formulas which are not valid, but should hold for certain interpretations of BLOCK and DIAMOND

now the decision on whether these hold, seem very very subjective.

for instance: It ought to be true
it says that if things ought to be true, then it should be permitted. hence saying if BLOCK p --> DIAMOND p (ie. if all should be permitted, then we should have at least one)

Are these interpretations fixed, should we know them based on the table on p 318. Or are they just given to help us understand the reasoning behind them?

many thanks

Danie van Eeden
------------------------
Re: Page 318
November 01, 2011 04:46PM
Sorry, just saw your question on this now...

To be honest, I don't think that we have to know the table (Table 5.7) by heart, but more use it as a tool to understand the content... From my understanding of the scope of the situation, the table is used to indicate the different meanings of the modal connectives in the different modes of truth. In other words, simply showing that by changing the meaning of the mode of truth that block and diamond represent, a formula that may be valid in one mode of truth is not necessarily valid in another.

I've had a quick look through the table, and it may be helpful to understand what the differences are, how the validity differs between the various modes of truth, etc. But I don't see how learning the differences is going to be helpful...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login