Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Exam Prep

Posted by BlaXpydo 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Exam Prep
May 19, 2011 02:03PM
Just want to know how everybody is doing in preparing for the exam. Would like to know how you guys studying this module. I'm sure it will be interesting to hear everyone's different approach.

May 19, 2011 02:37PM
I used the textbook to order the memo answers into my summary.
If there was some important diagram / info / section not asked in the exam papers just added it to to my summary.
Also added OpenGl and Transformation examples to the summary.

So now I have a nice concise summary of the syllabus smile
Re: Exam Prep
May 19, 2011 08:49PM
Hi Ben

You don't have a digital form of that summary, you might want to share? smile

Well Assignment 1 and 2 was easy, I have not touched the self assignments and the linear algebra scares me a bit.

So I want to work through Assignment A, the exams on myUnisa and then also the list of theory question you got us.

All this in the next three days before the exam on Monday.
May 19, 2011 09:30PM
Afraid not - I wrote it by hand, helps me retain knowledge.
But If you go through the past exams, you will know most of the theory already.
May 20, 2011 10:19AM
I might be wrong (so I stand to be corrected smile) but it seems to me, from the practical parts in the past exams, that most of the practical questions will be of 3 different kinds, namely:

1.Texture mapping
2.Lighting
3.Adding menu and key funtionality

If anybody sees any other questions being asked, please comment.

May 20, 2011 02:26PM
RANDOM INTERRUPTION:

I wish to take Graphics and AI next semester for NDP. Could you comment on the workload? (I'm working full-time) What are the major obstacles/challenges? Lecturer support and feedback?

Sorry to dump this on you guys three days before your exam, but I'm worried you'll all disappear and go off-grid as soon as the exam is over! smiling smiley
May 20, 2011 02:34PM
Hey there phyzmatix, how you doing?

Well, I'm sure you saw the amount of comments floating around this forum, and it can be taken in relevance with the comments of Advance programming. I'd say that COS3712 (Computer Graphics) & COS3711(Advance Programming) are the two modules that needs the most work. You really need to know the theory to be able to implement the work. If you had COS3711, I'm sure you'll be able to cope with this.

A.I. - well, I don't know, only taking it next year. But I heard that it also requires a lot of work.

If you have no social life, then you can spend your time everyday after work working through the books.

May 20, 2011 02:37PM
As for the lecture support, yes, worth it. Mr.Aron really did help with the work.

Also, please note that there is NO study guide for this module. 8 chapters later, you really have a head full of info.

May 20, 2011 09:51PM
Hi phyzmatix

The Assignments is easy if you enjoy C++ programming and have a interest in OpenGL. I could complete Assignment 2 pulling a one night'r with the help of the Nehe Tutorials and I got good marks(This is not advised because it is very stressful and I had previous OpenGL experience).

But like BlaXpydo said this module needs a lot of work and Chapter 4 is basically just Linear Algebra, which one can see as a bad thing but I like the idea of actually understanding the BlackBox known as OpenGL. But I only spent the last week actually trying to get everything in my head.

I'm also a part time student so I do have a day job and if I did not already own the book(2006 version) I think I might have skipped this module because of the heavy work load. This will also be my final Computer Science Module for my Major and I might take another CS module just because I like it.

Btw what other options do you have? Because I also need 4 NDP modules and still have to make up my mind.
Anonymous User
May 21, 2011 12:46PM
Thanks for the replies! The math shouldn't be a problem as I'm completing a combined physics and computer science degree this semester (I had first and second year Linear Algebra amongst others) so I believe I have the background necessary to make a success of that part at least. I'm taking the additional modules so that I may ultimately gain admission to Comp Sci Honours. I did Advanced Programming this semester and feedback from the department assured me that AI, Graphics and Advanced will do the trick. I've only been in industry for a year, but I do C++ backend development on Redhat platforms and I like the language itself a lot so I believe it will all add up to making it manageable.

I considered also taking Operating Systems and Formal Logic for the additional exposure, but I'm pushing thirty and getting fed-up with studying, so the shortest route will do for now! grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login