Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Study guide

Posted by RalitsaA 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Study guide
February 16, 2011 03:55PM
Hi,

I am wondering if there is any study guide available for this module?

Any guidance through the chapters would be appreciated. Do we have to study the full chapters of the syllabus? This is a lot material to memorize.... sad smiley
Re: Study guide
February 16, 2011 07:01PM
There used to be, prior to 2010.
There is a crap load of data to process, so start early.
Lo
February 17, 2011 09:44AM
I was going to ask the same question about studying the whole chapters, just got the book on Tuesday.Hey man this is too much for assignment around the corner and am still in chapter 1.

Is there any chances of getting an extension
Anonymous User
February 21, 2011 08:31AM
I agree, we should have some sort of a support in the form of a study guide.

Try and do question 4 of Assignment 1 only using the textbook. Nightmare. Nowhere in the book does it say how to calculate taking the different arrival times into account (for all of the examples the arrival time is taken as 0, i.e. the processes all arrive at the same time).

I understand that this is a third-year module, and we have to apply our minds, but squashing a previous year-module into one semester and then expecting us to use only the textbook, giving NO support in the form of a study guide whatsoever, is a bit much.

I've e-mailed the lecturers about the possibility of making a study guide (or something similar) available, but no response yet....
February 22, 2011 03:26PM
CarinaO
I've e-mailed the lecturers about the possibility of making a study guide (or something similar) available, but no response yet....

you will get a response after the exam, if ever.....

Have you guys noticed that UNISA is degrading its service level every year.... I hope I pass this subject and not having to deal with UNISA again...
February 25, 2011 12:54PM
The only problem which requires a bit of thought when evaluating processes with different arrival times, is what to do when a process arrives at the same time another process is preempted.
There is usually a simple rule to follow or assumption to make when evaluating processes this - it usually states that the newly arrived process is added to the end of the waiting queue, but ahead of the process that is being preempted at the same time.So....
- if P1 has been schedule to the CPU, and the ready queue consists of P2, P3 and P4, and
- At T=5, P1 is preempted and P2 given the processor, and
- At T=5, P5 arrives,

Then P5 is added to the end of the ready queue but, is added ahead of the preempted P1. Thus the ready now looks as follows:
P3, P4, P5, P1 - and P2 is being processed.
Anonymous User
February 28, 2011 11:57AM
@RalitsaA - I sent an e-mail to the lecturers asking about the study guide, and got the following response (quite quickly, too!):

"According to Unisa's policy, study guides are no longer made available to students. However part of it is already included in the tutorial letter 101 (see section 8) to help you do the first assignment. An additional tutorial letter TL102 will also be made available to students for assignment 2. We are working towards including more guiding instructions into the TL101 that you receive at the registration."

Hope this helps! (Section 8 certainly helped me a lot!) If not, post your questions on this forum, I'm sure between all of us we'll be able to help.
Anonymous User
May 29, 2011 09:32PM
Hi there!
I have registered for Sem2. Would you mind sending sem1 tutorial letters to my emaila dd

wisemary_stephen@yahoo.com

Thanx
June 02, 2011 02:51PM
33582203 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi there!
> I have registered for Sem2. Would you mind sending
> sem1 tutorial letters to my emaila dd
>
> wisemary_stephen@yahoo.com
>
> Thanx

Actually, the tutorial letters are the same for both semesters, with the exception of the assignment solution tut letters. So whatever tut letters everyone got in semester 1, you'll get as well for semester 2.

By the way, hi smiling smiley Looks like we've got the same module for semester 2... Catch you around the forums smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login