Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Exam Post-mortem

Posted by BlaXpydo 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Exam Post-mortem
May 12, 2011 04:46PM
Well, that was not to hard. All the kind of questions one would expect hey, except for that one.

But all went well.

May 12, 2011 05:37PM
Which one?
I must say that it wasn't too hard but they didn't make it too easy either... just enough to make you finish in time eye rolling smiley
I must confess though that the last time I also thought it went well, and then I got back my marks which told another story eye popping smiley
Re: Exam Post-mortem
May 12, 2011 06:16PM
The question on with the turing machine witht he recursive language for 3 marks. Think it was question 7.

Well, I'm sure we all did well. It was do-able

May 12, 2011 11:08PM
Yes, it was a fair paper. Quite a lot to get through, I found, though. That's mainly because I was a bit slow through some of the things. Q1 was easy enough, but my brain just went blank. Made a right mess of it.

But that's all water under the bridge now. Let's just take a month or two of feeling like it went well enough, and leave any possible disappointment till later. You can't take out insurance against disappointment. ... Old rant, isn't it?

Nice to feel there's some reasonable chance of an OK mark, and just leave it at that.
May 13, 2011 08:28AM
Where I wrote, there were two seats reserved for COS3701. One for me and one for somebody else. The other person never showed up. Wonder what happened.

I first drew the wrong FA on question 1. Then redid it, then came to the CFG.

Thanks for all the help eddy. You've really been going at it.

May 13, 2011 07:21PM
Manus manum lavat, I think the saying goes.

There were 6 places in Durban, and just 3 of us, I think. Same ratio, then. I was quite surprised. Not that it's an easy course, but it's also pretty much within reach of anyone prepared to do a bit of work. I was surprised at how few people were signed up for the course, even more than by the 50% turnout.

Are there very few people going on to Y3 computer science? Or have all the wise ones worked out that the exam hall is better at the Jewish Club, and so there are only a small number of clods left still writing at the Unisa building? Or is this a course most people prefer to write in October. Ever since Unisa stopped publishing the class list (which was a good thing), it's pretty hard to guess things like class size.

Is there anywhere where one can still get the statistical data? (That spammers can't use to send annoying emails with). How many of us have taken on COS370-1? Surely not just 6 in Durban? I'd guess there must be about 40 or so at least in a year. I suppose I should ask that kind of thing in Social Cafe, rather.
May 14, 2011 02:56PM
Hi Eddy

I was writing in PTA and there was 2 rows for this module and it was almost full to the back, I will say about 5 desk free in each row. So when I go write Computer Graphics I will give feedback winking smiley
May 14, 2011 04:33PM
smile OK so the only people still writing at the main building in Durban are the ones who haven't yet realised the Autumn has arrived, or that it's safe to go outside again because the dinosaurs have all gone away somewhere.

Maybe I must change my exam venue just to keep up with the times?
May 25, 2011 12:30PM
Hi, I was the only one writing in my exam venue, I write in Tongaat, cos dats where I live and also I hate having to drive all the way to the Unisa building in Durbs. I enjoyed the paper. Didn't really like the pumping lemma q bt pretty much hoping for a good mark, unless I made careless mistakes (which I'm notorious for)
May 25, 2011 12:40PM
Tongaat sounds like the place to write. No need to try and concentrate amidst all the weeping and sighing all around. smile
June 01, 2011 11:06AM
Hi Eddy

There is 17 tables in a row. So there was just under 34 students in Pretoria.
June 01, 2011 09:16PM
Thanks d-_-b

Maybe Durban just has less of us? Formal Logic today had about 8 places and I think 5 in attendance.

That's strange to me, too. With Y1 or even Y2 subjects you expect the people who underestimated how much of their lives part time study would consume not to be there, etc., but surely by Y3 all those kinds of issues are sorted out? Unless there's some kind of flu epidemic in Durban, I can't imagine why people who've gone this far would not pitch for an exam. Weird, isn't it?
January 30, 2012 01:00PM
Hi

I have searched online and I cant find the address for the Tongaat exam venue? I will be writing there this year, could you please give me the address? Thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login