Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Taylor Series - Please Debug

Posted by slow_eddy 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
avatar Taylor Series - Please Debug
May 08, 2011 06:25PM
Firstly the approximation is only within the vicinity of some point. Move your point and you have to recalc.

It's for any function that can be represented as a power series. None of us are really meant to have a clue what that means, yet.

Unfortunately in my current haste I can't find the nice graphical resource I had on this. Add terms and you'll see the graph of the TS starts to accommodate itself to the graph of f better and better.

The main formula is for f(x). However we use f(a+h) (or a-h) more. You can use x0 for a here, too.

Try substituting a-h or a+h for a few of the x's in the "standard formula" of p 569.

First term has no x. Next one .. (x - a) = (a + h - a) = h. Actually let's call that +h...

No need to do more calcs. They all use that (x - a) term, basically.

OK. Now imagine doing x = a - h .. Your h now has a negative sign. -h

And I think maybe I'll just leave this part all hanging like that, since it's that sign of h that turns out to be what makes terms cancel when you step out your central difference approximation of eg. f'

=========================

OK and I might as well mention those formulas while I'm here.

All you do is take this "abbreviated TS", and solve for the derivative you want.

f(x) = f(a) + x f'(a) + k f''(xi) ... (truncation at the last)

Solve for f', using just the non-error terms before the truncation.

f'(a) = - (f(a))/ x. (The details are wrong, of course; I'm just trying to show that the principle is fairly simple).

(Or I hope it is, otherwise I'm in trouble).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login