Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anyone else out there??

Posted by flintstone 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Anyone else out there??
February 08, 2011 09:25AM
Hi Guys

Who else is doing this module this semester? 1st assignment due 11 February 2011 - this Friday confused smiley

Peace out
Mohamed
February 08, 2011 01:27PM
Sup man

Im doing the same module this semester.

Later
Magz
Re: Anyone else out there??
February 09, 2011 12:15AM
guess im on the ship ...but its too tricky for me...and i thought tut101 said i could ask older course documentation but i cant ...can only view forums here no exam papers etc
February 09, 2011 01:53PM
Hi Guys

I'm also doing this module this semester but I'm a bit stressed.

My work paid my fees late because of admin issues and therefore i'm finding it difficult to get the assignment done on time.I basically only had 1.5 weeks to study the chapters for this assignment.I'm slowly getting to understand the new work but I don't think I'll be able to finish everything before the deadline.

By the way the old exam papers are on the MyUnisa website.

How are you guys finding this module ?
February 16, 2011 03:59PM
Hi,

I've been trying to register since the 4th Jan and my registration has not been confirmed yet. It is apparently still being processed. Can someone please email me Tut 101 so I can at least start working with the material. I NEED to pass this module this semester as it is a pre-req for other modules that I need to complete next semester.

My email addr : geraldene.naicker@standardbank.co.za

Thanks in advance
avatar Re: Anyone else out there??
February 17, 2011 08:54AM
same happened to me i only got my study material last weekend and i couldn't submit first assignment on the 11 i tried to contact the lecture and regional office so that they can perhaps move my registration to next semester because i received my thing late and i will be disqualified for exams if i dnt submit

gbakamela [77234715]
February 24, 2011 12:28PM
Who's started with assignment 2 yet?

Let me know so we can discuss.
mohamedismail586@gmail.com
June 29, 2011 07:02PM
Started now, the second semester. Anybody else?
June 29, 2011 07:40PM
LOL. Like the name!

You just need to start talking to yourself for a few weeks for starters. Use the forum as a kind of personal notepad. If you learn the art of asking smart questions, apparently that will bring some answers from those who've walked this path in the past.

At some threshold level of activity some of the lurkers will begin to join in. It takes effort to keep a forum alive, but it's worth it.
June 30, 2011 07:15PM
Ah Slow Eddy, Thanks for the warm welcome.

Unfortunately, I slipped up big time a couple of days ago, and I'm still not talking to myself. (don't worry, I'll forgive -most probably forget- what the issue was and pick up where I left off as-if nothing ever happened. In the meantime I'll patiently wait for the lurkers to take me away. I need the forum for emotional support you see…..

You’re almost finished with your degree? Or is it my imagination again….
June 30, 2011 07:51PM
4 exams to go, yes.

Doing Advanced C++, Graphics, Systems Analysis, Human Computer Interface.

The INFs are interesting in terms of subject matter, but as far as exams go they tend to be great big memory tests.

Advanced C++ involves using the Qt framework to build about 45 pages worth of code (from what my lurking tells me, anyway), and learning things like the "Design Patterns" behind all that.

I started with near no knowledge of programming, but I gather quite a lot of us start with some background in the industry. Are you one of those devs now putting a stamp on what you know? Or are you starting more or less from the ground up?
June 30, 2011 08:37PM
I see,

I'm one of those devs putting a stamp on what I know. It’s not about the stamp though. (just something I want to do) (Better than watching sewende laan or something) . From what I've done(cos1511, inf1511,mat1503,cos1505 and cos1521) I'm really very impressed with the content of the course. Do not think that it is a matter of formality for me, to pass assignments and exams.

I can imagine that C++ must be quite an obstacle with no prior knowledge of programming… I guess for any foundational topic a bullet needs to be bitten. Next year I’m doing ‘Formal Logic ‘, and I must admit, I sit with a brick, where my stomach used to be, when I think about it. “Design patterns” are one of those things, which fall into place once you hit the corporate development world. What degree or diploma are you doing?
June 30, 2011 09:22PM
Don't worry too much about Formal Logic. It's a bit like a cross between Binary algebra and highschool geometry riders.
June 30, 2011 11:59PM
@ eddy

I gather you took two of the most intensive modules this semester - Advance Prog. and OpenGL...Please, take my advice on OpenGL, make notes about everything from day one! It will help once time comes around to Oct/Nov. I'm sure you understand.

Not to worry, I'll be there to assist with Qt, I'm doing as well, and HCI. I'm actually looking forward to your rather 'colorful' comments during this semester.

July 01, 2011 09:48AM
@ BlaXpydo : Thanks. I generally make notes to force me to concentrate and dot all the i's and cross the t's. I skim a lot on the one hand, and on the other I tend to make a fairly detailed first pass. But thanks for the tip. From what I've seen so far it looks like you're absolutely dead right.

Actually I'm cheating myself a bit on the "dotted i's and crossed t's" at the moment, pushing on to a first iteration of Ch 5 before going back to Ch 4 and filling in all the big blank spaces in my head.

I'm posting something on Q1 in just a few minutes, for Qt. See you there!

@ Bad Pritt : I forgot quite a lot of the devs here are aiming at more than just putting a stamp on the knowledge they already have. Glad to hear you're also a scholar at heart. smile Yes, much better than watching Sewende Laan - although Sewende Laan is pretty good for a soapy. My late Granny used to live for it. It's reassuring to hear that the courses are impressive, anyway.

I think perhaps a good Formal Logic tip would be to buy the second year text book right from the outset, and get a year's more exercise on the examples you feed into the software? Doing it makes it make sense. What do the others who've been here think of that as a tip (assuming the expensive book is worth it for arguments sake).
July 01, 2011 10:49AM
Well, As far as formal logic goes, I would agree with you eddy. Get the book, work the examples, practice those formal proofs, and do translations. That should give you a good enough foundation for FL2 and FL3.

Qt, here we come, after fixing you and removing-replacing you, I'm going to make sure I know you inside-out...thumbs up smiley eddy you with me?

July 01, 2011 11:09AM
I'm afraid the allusions there went a bit over my head. I've done my little bit on the Qt forum for now, as you'll see. See you there. smile
July 01, 2011 11:35AM
@eddy

As you can see from my former post, I'm trying to make Qt a personal friend of mine, as it tried to remove my confidence in being able to conquer it! Thus I want to get to know it inside-out.

Checked you're post on the forum, will be commenting soon!

July 01, 2011 04:57PM
smile OK I must've been a bit dof this morning.

With Qt I think the big trick is to actually try to think in patterns/ look at it from a "big picture" p.o.v.

Having thought a bit about my current Q1 answer, I'm starting to err on the side of making a list-of-objects (which is surely what an ItemList says it is?) instead of a kludgy list of strings.

Mind you, it's not much use looking at the big picture if you don't have the details, which are pretty useless if you don't have some grand plan for using them, which isn't much a plan if you don't attend to every little nitty gritty detail ...
July 01, 2011 06:11PM
Thanks All for the kind, encouraging words. C U arround.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login