Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What to do next

Posted by Johnny - 72985186 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
May 12, 2011 02:03PM
Hey all, seeing as how we are pretty much done with this course, I would just like to create this topic and ask everyone what their plans are. Are you going to study another short course that you have in mind? And what would you recommend studying next? I'm considering studying the short course:short course: database implementation which involves:

* Setting up relational databases
* Maintaining and querying databases
* SQL language
* Practical work using Microsoft Access
* Creating a user interface for a database

Mainly because obviously php is based alot around databases and sql. My knowledge about databases and their relations are fairly poor aswell as my sql coding. What do you guys think, would you recommend this course for someone in my position or are there other better options out there? Or I can always self study the rest?
Re: What to do next
May 12, 2011 02:37PM
Hey Johnny

That looks like a very interesting course. Learning about relational databases can be done with the web resources but as in any course sometimes it may be easier if someone directs you in your studies. It probably would have been better to have done a sql course before the php course.

Well that is my 2c worth, change can be given at any time.
Good luck with future studies.

--

Student Number: 7298-786-3
May 12, 2011 03:10PM
Hi all,

As I am in IT I will be spending all my time on Microsoft SCOM and SCCM from now on.

As soon as I have got time on my hands I would like to do a course in graphic design as it would complete the package. What do you think?
May 12, 2011 04:14PM
Hi guys, its a good question, I guess it depends which direction you want to go in, whether you leaning towards Web designer or Web developer.
By studying SQL or another programming course that would be more Web developer or by doing a course in Graphic design you would be more leaning towards
Web designer. Anyway I've just been retrenched so have lots of time on my hands to decide which path to follow drinking smiley
May 12, 2011 09:37PM
Developing is my dream, I'll be doing a diploma in IT @unisa starts 2nd semester, while I look for a job in PHP Web development or simply continue growing my projects onlinestudio.co.za and newsage.co.za
May 13, 2011 08:03AM
I'm gonna be finishing off my C++ course and I'm also studying Japanese.
The Database course does look good, but there's a course that's only done in the beginning of the year which teaches you the fundamentals of Database design.
I'm thinking of starting that course beginning of next year, and then moving on to the course you mentioned after that.
May 14, 2011 08:52AM
NOT so long ago I Dicovered that if you just do the IT diploma then you get something similar to all the short courses offered by the software engineering department. EVEN PHP!!!!

So i think i will quit short courses and focus on my IT diploma.

Self teaching... erreee.. myself smiling bouncing smiley SQL, jQuery, Joomla, Wordpress is my next step!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login