Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hons Degree! Keep Walking Whatsoever.

Posted by Nabusiu 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Hons Degree! Keep Walking Whatsoever.
April 03, 2011 04:59PM
Early last year when I undertook to study an Hons Degree, my challenge was to study 10 modules prescribed for an Hons degree in one year and pass well all of them amidst the challenges of work, family and other social demands. I remember coming to this forum to find out who had ever undertaken such a mission and I was so surprised to be told that it is not possible a mission.
At the beginning of the course, it all looked like a roller coaster but when world cup fever caught up the atmosphere for the month of June and forth, the course turned out to be a nightmare. I remember all sorts of difficulties crop up championing my resolve to get an Hons degree in one year.

Normally, my performance in assignments indicates to me the potential results I am likely to score in year-end examinations. Assignments serve to me as a yardstick which helps me channel effort and concentration in areas I may be recording poor success. My performance took a sharp downturn for second assignments in all the 10 modules dropping from above 70 in first assignments to a range between 50 and 60%. I tried to keep on with a positive attitude that I will make it better but I could feel deep in me that had started manifesting and would not easily win. So, I decided to launch a scheme by skipping some assignments (especially 3rd and 4th assignments in those modules I thought I was strong). I used some of the time slots meant for assignments to prepare for Jan/Feb examinations. This turned out to be a grave mistake. My body didn’t want to yield in. I am one who sleeps on average 5 hours a night but this time around 10 or more hours of night sleep became so regular.

Many friends left me; colleagues at work called me many names some calling me crazy mad, my work responsibilities more than doubled in the weeks to exams. My beloved girlfriend packed her belongings and left for unknown destination, money got scarce, stress rose to the highest levels ever.
With the kind of poor performance in subsequent assignments, I realised that chances are I may flunk some papers leave alone not registering excellent results in the final exams come Jan/Feb unless I took drastic measures. The thought of losing all the time and money invested in studying was painfully unbearable. I was chosen to be among the skeleton staff to keep the company systems running during the break. At first, I thought to myself that I would use that moment to catch up with the examination preparations. Hey! Do you know how boring it is to be alone in the office staring at those empty workstations? My mother kept calling asking whether I would be home for Christmas and telling my siblings that I wasn’t to make it this time around again was so tough knowing that they really needed and missed my company. I have not seen my family in such a long time.

Christmas break was such a ‘dead-thick ‘discouraging moment in that I never could concentrate on reading knowing that everybody was away for either family re-union or somewhere on holiday and here I were trying to prove to myself worthwhile.
Why did I do what I did at the honors degree? I have always desired to study up to a PhD level least being at a Master’s level. I have desired this for such a long time. This was my motivation to carry 10 modules in one go. So although I didn’t succeed in getting a distinction degree on average, I am very glad I managed to pass all the 10 modules with an average to take me forward into a Master’s degree program.
Advice: Before undertaking any task, first write down 5 great reasons as to why you want to undertake such a task. Knowing why you are doing something shall motivate you during the dark moments of the pursuit. Anything and everything is possible under any circumstances and situations. Keep walking whatsoever.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login