Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Assignment 2 Q2

Posted by Ivan Behounek 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Assignment 2 Q2
August 03, 2010 11:29AM
Can anyone give some insight to this question? I cross referenced a lot of sources by don't seem to get a grip on this question:

The Japanese game go-moku is played by two players “X” and “O” on a 19 × 19 grid. Players take turns placing markers on empty grid locations, and the first player to complete a line of 5 or more
consecutive markers (either horizontally, vertically, or diagonally) is the winner. This game can easily be generalized to any board size n × n. A “position” in such a game is any
representation of the n × n board where each location is either empty or contains one of the two players’ markers, together with an indication of which player moves next.

GM = {( B )|B is a position generalized go-muko, where player “X” has a winning strategy}

Give the algorithm that decides GM, and then argue that it is in PSPACE.

kay
Re: Assignment 2 Q2
August 03, 2010 02:03PM
1) Are you clear on what it means for one player to have a winning strategy? (It's explained quite well in the book)
2) Can you take a stab at defining an algorithm which decides whether there is a winning strategy or not, given an initial state of the board?
3) Argue that the above can be performed in PSPACE.
Re: Assignment 2 Q2
August 03, 2010 08:02PM
I understand step 1. The tricky part is step 2.
You gave me a few clues to work on. The problem is that this assignment needs a lot of study time, and I have to push on this one. Assignment 1 was OK, I enjoyed it.

Thanx for your help Kay.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login