Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help with Assignment 1

Posted by sliek 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Help with Assignment 1
March 13, 2010 03:40PM
Hi guys,

was any1 successful in downloading an article from the acm portal for questions 3 and 7? i tried to download an article after registering on their site but there was a message saying my account is not capable of doing such (or something to that effect)........

please advise.......... confused smiley
Re: Help with Assignment 1
March 15, 2010 06:40AM
You do not need to register - UNISA is already registered as a group.
Follow the links to ACM via OASIS.

Once you are logged into OASIS, use this link:
http://0-portal.acm.org.oasis.unisa.ac.za/
March 16, 2010 04:23PM
Helpful instructions, thanks.
March 17, 2010 11:37AM
o ok cool, thanks for the heads up smile
April 20, 2010 08:39PM
Hi

I was able to get the articles for q3 and q7. However, I have had some difficulties obtaining relevant journals to accomplish Q4 and Q6.
For questions 04, the database "IEEE Explore" doesn't exist except for "IEEE Xplore". Therefore, the journal sought can never be found. Could this have been a result of typing error? Question 06, says "computers & Security" journal, which has got 29 volumes. Which volume are we to use here?

I will be grateful for help.

Kind Regards
Brian
Anonymous User
April 28, 2010 03:40PM
The questions are based on the computers & Security journal itself (and not necessarily its articles), you have to evaluate the journal with all its volumes.

hope this helps.
April 29, 2010 11:58AM
Hi guys

For question 8 I have located the harvard referencing style. But it seems as if the article from Question1 is already referenced according to this style. Does this make sense?
April 30, 2010 08:23AM
I think the question asks you to make a list of all the research articles from questions 1 and 3, and to create this list in the Harvard referencing style (as if you had written an article and had referenced all of these articles). It is not about how these articles themseleves reference other articles.
May 03, 2010 03:29PM
hallo

kindly help me with a link for question 4 and 6 of the first assignment
May 03, 2010 05:32PM
Hi guys
I am strugling with Q6. I cannot find the computers & security journal. Would someome please assist me...

Thanx
May 03, 2010 05:34PM
okay i found it, but which volume are they referring to???? is it all of them? I am confused
May 11, 2010 07:11PM
hi guys

I don't have thhe book yet.....as a result i'm struggling with question 7.7. can anybody offer any help please!sad smiley

yeapmnce@gmail.com
May 13, 2010 07:06PM
@ Mnce',

Objectives of a literature review:
Show that the researcher is aware of existing work in the chosen topic area
Place the researcher's work in the context of what has already been published
Point to strengths, weaknesses, omissions or bias in the previous work
Identify key issues or crucial questions that are troubling the research community
Point to gaps that have not previously been identified or addressed by researchers
Identify theories that the researcher will test or explore by gathering data from the field
Suggest theories that might explain data the researcher has gathered from the field
Identify theories, genres, methods or algorithms that will be incorporated in the development of a computer application
Identify research methods or strategies that the researcher will use in the research
Enable subsequent researchers to understand the field and the researcher's work within that field

Regards.
May 17, 2010 08:15PM
Re IEEE Explore: I think this is a typo as various articles on ethics can be found in IEEE Xplore
May 17, 2010 08:23PM
re Q6: in the ScienceDirect database, search for the Computers & Security journal (enter journal name in journal/book title box). Once you have found the journal itself (not individual articles within the journal), you can navigate within it to access the information required to answer the questions.
May 18, 2010 04:23PM
Hi Guys

Im having the same issues as many of you...i just cannot seem to get access to articles for question 1, 3 and 7 even though I have gone throught the Oasis database.

Can someone please please send them to me? Im starting to think that its my browser and Im going nuts here.

mumina86@gmail.com
May 19, 2010 09:19AM
Hi mumina,

What problems are you having? Can you decribe them in any detail? I think this part of the course is to teach us how to use online facilities to do research so sending the articles would defeat the purpose. I also found it quite difficult but eventually got the hang of it. The instructions in the TL are not that clear and I think things might have changed since the TL was published.
Regards.
May 19, 2010 08:00PM
http://www.unisa.ac.za/
click on Library link at the top of the page
under 'Digital collections', click on Subject Databases (info text 'A-Z list of databases' appears if you hold the cursor over this link)
under 'search for information resources', resources by subject - (off-campus), click on computing link
you then get a list of the accessible databases
scroll or page down to get to the one you want, e.g. IEEE Xplore, or ScienceDirect, etc. (they can take a while to load sometimes). Click on the link.
you then get the OASIS login page - enter your details [if you don't yet have a login, you need to create one: see below]
you then get into the database you chose earlier, and you need to enter various data into the search boxes to find what you want.

Here's some more info about creating a pin on Oasis from TL 101 (INF418P):

1. Creating a Library Pin
You will need to create a pin in order to make use of the convenient online library resources of
the Unisa Library, for example the e-reserves (prescribed and recommended articles or
chapters), subject databases, book and article requests, and renewal of books.
Follow these steps to create your Pin:
• Open your Internet browser and type in the address: [oasis.unisa.ac.za]
• This takes you directly to the Oasis library catalogue. Click on the option view & renew
loans, which is located to the right of the screen.
• The next screen will prompt you to type in your surname (without initials), student
number (without a zero in front) and a Pin. If you are creating a pin for the first time,
then you must enter a pin of your choosing- something short and easy to remember.
This pin is case-sensitive
• Once you have entered your pin, you must click on the Submit button that appears on
the screen in order to activate your pin. You will then be prompted to re-enter your pin
twice before the system accepts it. You must then click on the Submit button again.
• A screen will then appear with your name and postal address- this is how you will know
that your pin has been successfully created. You must use this same pin whenever it is
needed.
PIN problems
Should you experience problems when logging in with your library pin, please ensure
that:
o Your Internet browser is set to accept cookies
o You refresh the screen (click on ‘refresh’ button) before entering your surname,
student number and pin
o If accessing the system from your place of work, please check with the systems
administrator about caching pages, and request that the Unisa Library’s log-in
page not be cached
If you forget your library pin, you will need to send an email with your name and
student number to: bib-pin@unisa.ac.za . Your existing pin will then be deleted
from the system and you can create a new pin within the next 24 hours.
May 21, 2010 08:09AM
Thanks nanthu.
May 25, 2010 08:37PM
hi guys

i got the IEEE Explore database but i cant find any journal of ethical issues regarding internet usage please help.
@nanthu you seem to be very help full please help me i'm not sure where am i missing it llusenga@barloworldpower.com
May 31, 2010 11:11AM
@36128686,

Within IEEE Eplore, search for the subject of 'internet ethics' or 'ethics and the internet' or something like that, within content type of 'Journal', and see what articles come up. Pick one that you fancy and take it from there.
It's not about finding a journal about ethics, it's about finding articles about ethics in any journal within the IEEE Xplore database.
Regards.
May 31, 2010 01:18PM
Pls i need help as well im at UNISA ACM page but when i type in the article - 'examining the relationship between gender and the research productivity of IS'; It shows totaly different things
Also i cant find 'a profile of information systems research ' in the library as well
And i have a few days to submit. Pls someone help me

Demola
46663142@mylife.unisa.ac.za
delayus@yahoo.com
May 31, 2010 08:19PM
@Demola,

Make sure you have an OASIS Library Pin (see above).

Then go to [0-portal.acm.org.oasis.unisa.ac.za] (as advised above) - I also initiallly could not find the article via the library and OASIS but went in directly using this link. Ensure you have selected 'The ACM Digital Library' radio button (and not 'The Guide' ), then insert the title of the article 'Examining the Relationship between Gender and the Research Productivity of IS' into the search box. Click on 'Search' button. The article should appear on the top of the list.

For the article, 'A profile of information systems research', get to the ScienceDirect database. Enter the journal details into the search boxes, e.g. 'Information & Management' into the Journal/Book Title field, '44' into the Volume field, '1' into the issue field, and then in the 'Search Within Results box that appears, restrict to 2007. Explore the page that appears, scroll down, look at the articles retrieved. It's important to try different things, search using different information, using different combinations of information that you have been provided with, and to spend time looking properly at the pages that come up. This is what research is all about.

Regards.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login