Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

File permissions

Posted by A.Jarvis 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
File permissions
September 18, 2010 06:10PM
Hi Mac,

2 issues relating to file permissions:

Firstly: I would like to change formatting etc in some of the /include/ files. However, my header file (/var/www/osprey/mac/ecom/04/catalog//includes/header.php) does not have write permission. Its permissions are set to -rwxr-xr-x while the other files have -rwxrwxr-x. Are we able to change file permissions on the server or do you have to do it? If we can, how?

Secondly: another thing I tried to do, but couldn't because of permissions, was to import my site into Dreamweaver in order to be able to format it more easily. While Dreamweaver can successfully connect to the remote site (www.osprey.unisa.ac.za/mac/ecom/04/catalog) it can't display the remote files. Same thing with FileZilla - it can connect to the UNISA server but gives error 550 when it tries to change to my directory on the server. Is there a way of getting round this so that it is possible to import the files/site into Dreamweaver and work on it there?

Please advise!

Thanks, Alice
Mac
Re: File permissions
September 20, 2010 06:58AM
Opening that route has in the past allowed hackers in so we do not allow changes to the code in files. Keep in mind that the focus of this prac is on the products and configuration (understanding the cart), so while it is good that you want to change the look of the site, it is not required, sicnce then we would be moving into a HTML and PHP direction.
Re: File permissions
September 20, 2010 09:23AM
Okay, thanks for the info.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login