Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Practical issue/problem

Posted by ziy 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
ziy
Practical issue/problem
September 13, 2010 03:20PM
Hi
When i open my site ...ecom/05/catalog, i get the following message Warning: I am able to write to the configuration file: /var/www/osprey/mac/ecom/05/catalog/includes/configure.php.
This is a potential security risk - please set the right user permissions on this file.

Help.
ziy
Re: Practical issue/problem
September 13, 2010 03:48PM
Hi

The prac doc has a solution. how do set the fie to read only (664)?
ziy
September 13, 2010 04:46PM
Other than an FTP, is there a change in code i could use for configure.php
Mac
September 14, 2010 10:29AM
You can ignore that message. Typically, one would do all the configuration and then reset the permissions either via FTP or directly on the server. It is for this reason that we protect the directory with a login and password, so the world do not have access to that file.
ziy
September 14, 2010 12:24PM
Hi
The warning message is gone. But all that appears when i go my site is a white screen with a small icon of a broken page and iscommerce. clicking it does nothing?
Mac
September 14, 2010 12:40PM
I see your site perfectly?
ziy
September 14, 2010 02:02PM
Hi
When i type my URL for my site and enter th password/username i get a white screen as described above.
admin works and even when i click onine catalog from there, same thing...
I didn't mess with no coding, all i did was upload a jpg to images on the file manager.

Sorry to take up yout time...
Mac
September 14, 2010 02:08PM
That is what I am here for smiling smiley
I don't know what is going wrong as I cannot replicate the problem? Try refresh the page a couple of times Ctrl + F5 which will force a new fetch of the page
ziy
September 14, 2010 02:27PM
Nope that didn't work.

is there a way to restore the site to its original state, i don't mind having to start again.
If so how do i do it?
Mac
September 15, 2010 07:21AM
This is strange. You have site 05, and it is working perfectly, so reset (I need to do it) is not going to change anything since you did not change any files. Did you try another browser?

ziy
September 15, 2010 11:04AM
Hi

Tried explorer works perfectly. Must be a setting on mozilla.
Simple answer.

Thank You
September 17, 2010 10:41AM
Hi Mac

I've got a problem accessing my Customer, Countries, Localization and Reports under Admin and i have not changed anything today and the errors are the same

Customers

Last Name First Name Account Created Action
1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '-0,' at line 1

select c.customers_id, c.customers_lastname, c.customers_firstname, c.customers_email_address, a.entry_country_id from customers c left join address_book a on c.customers_id = a.customers_id and c.customers_default_address_id = a.address_book_id order by c.customers_lastname, c.customers_firstname limit -0,

[TEP STOP]

Countries

Country ISO Codes Action
1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '-0,' at line 1

select countries_id, countries_name, countries_iso_code_2, countries_iso_code_3, address_format_id from countries order by countries_name limit -0,

[TEP STOP][/b]

Please assist
Mac
September 20, 2010 07:13AM
In maximum values, the search results had no value (you edited the value but did not enter a value) therefore the error.
September 21, 2010 08:56AM
Thank you,
October 01, 2010 12:33PM
Hi

If i try to upload a edited file for my new-products i get this error and the same goes for my stylesheet

Error: I can not write to this directory. Please set the right user permissions on: /var/www/osprey/mac/ecom/03/catalog//includes/modules

Would i be able to change these files?
Mac
October 03, 2010 11:12AM
While it is great that you want to edit files, the purpose of this prac is to understand how the cart works, i.e. populate the cart and make configuration changes . Hence you should not worry about changing the layout. look etc of the site. Remember that this course is not aimed at coding at electronic cart - that is for developers, and you are at the management level.
October 07, 2010 04:30PM
Hi Mac,
How do I submit my portfolio( practical assignment)?
And when is the exam date, tell me if it is an open exam or not?
Mac
October 07, 2010 05:33PM
You don't submit it - I check it online after the due date. See the Final exam thread for the rest.
October 11, 2010 11:06AM
Hi

I have tried a few things but cant get it to show the price or image of my products on the online catalog when selecting a category.

Any help please.
Mac
October 11, 2010 12:51PM
You are going to have to try a bit more smiling smiley Remember it is a prac....!
October 11, 2010 04:10PM
Hi Mac

Thank you, just needed some motivation got it sorted
ziy
October 15, 2010 06:49PM
Hi mac

When i open my home page from any browser it just shows a blank page, admin works fine.
ziy
October 17, 2010 11:47AM
Hi

This problem occurred when i changed some code in includes/languages/english.php

// if USE_DEFAULT_LANGUAGE_CURRENCY is true, use the following currency, instead of the applications default currency (used when changing language)
39 define('LANGUAGE_CURRENCY', 'USD'winking smiley;

I changed the USD, but reverted it back, touched nothing else and no other files.

Please help
Mac
October 18, 2010 06:58AM
There were plenty errors in that file.... you should only work through admin - do not try to change files unless you know PHP. It is not simply a matter of changing text, for example, you typed 'what's new' and that caused a parse error because... no, I am not going to tell you smiling smiley
ziy
October 18, 2010 02:37PM
lesson learnt

Thank You
October 20, 2010 11:41AM
Hi

My prices is showing 0 in the product list and with my special and im not sure if its my self created currency or the the 2 languages or maybe the tax but i have made some changes and tested but no success, any advise could help

thank you
Mac
October 20, 2010 05:42PM
On the preview page of a product (i.e. say you change the price, then you need to click "preview"winking smiley the price is shown. So the problem "lies further on".

Where exactly I am also in the dark now. I am working through your cart (it is not always simple to pick up where the problem is, especially if you start configuring other options. I have deleted one or two things (e.g tax zones) you have created in order to trace the problem, but it makes it difficult since you may soon be left with an empty cart! The best way forward is to retract your steps - delete what you added least.

Having said that - I am not sure what you did... so see this post:

http://forums.oscommerce.com/topic/154551-all-prices-show-as-zero/
October 21, 2010 01:05PM
Hi Mac

I managed to sort out the price issue it was the one currency with the two lanquage that caused the problem, but now you have to select your currency before it shows the prices.
thank you for the help

Its working as it should now or i think so, both currencies showing the price
Mac
October 21, 2010 03:45PM
OK, but there should be a default currency showing the default prices, leaving you with the option to select another currency. There is something still amiss.... once again, I am unsure as to what your configuration is.

Mind you, it now shows the price in Rand when you go in, so it's working as it should be. Good that you reported back, it may just help future students!
ziy
October 25, 2010 02:38PM
Hi Mac

Me again...

On my Main site, the letter n keeps appearring, the number of n s' corresponds to the number of categories. Can this problem be sorted?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login