Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Java People

Posted by DesmondMpofu 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Java People
February 04, 2010 08:27AM
Hi

anyone out there doing this course,
HTC
Re: Java People
March 05, 2010 07:17AM
Hi,

May I request copy of your notes ?, I accidentally happen to enroll for the second semester without doing the first, now I feel out of my scope.

Thank you.
May 20, 2010 01:08PM
HI guys

Also doing this course this year. Good to see that there are a few others out there.

Having fun so far, but I'm also doing VB.NET at the same time while working full-time, so it's pretty tight.

System.out.print("Java isn't really all that bad now is it?"winking smiley;

hot smiley
May 20, 2010 05:01PM
Cool Benbarian, makes 2 of us, I was also doing PHP which I just completed. So now all my time is Java.Time
May 26, 2010 12:59PM
Cool Desmond.

Thats exactly what I want to do, when I'm done with VB ans Java, I wanna do some PHP. It sounds like a pretty useful combo of skills to have.

I didn't do much maths at school, so it's taking me some time to bend my brain around all the arithmetic, but it's challenging, and rewarding.

System.out.println("Java is pretty damn powerful huh?!"winking smiley;

lol

Is anyone using any external IDE tools like NetBeans or Eclipse? I'm finding NetBeans an incredibly useful tool!
May 26, 2010 04:45PM
@ HTC

Well I don't exactly keep notes. Well, kinda...
I use OneNote to keep notebooks on all my subjects and fill in anything I seem likely to forget, or that seems overly complex. Also if I've ever had to look something up when I needed it, I'd just add it to the OneNote notebook. If you have to look something up once, chances are you'll look it up again a second and third time before you remember it properly. You can also try get answers in the forum on my.unisa. But it's not all that busy.
May 26, 2010 04:46PM
Anyone know of any other slighly more lively forum's discussing this class? This one isn't exactly the wikipedia of Osprey courses now is it?
May 27, 2010 11:49AM
Java forum is really dead my man, as a matter of fact I have given up on it, but there are some exciting ones in the net, try this one

http://www.dreamincode.net/forums/index.php? I have found it very useful. PHP is pretty cool. I guess VB.net is hot as well
May 27, 2010 12:31PM
Thanks Desmond!

Dream in Code is really amazing huh?! I've been using it for a while as well. In fact I found an answer in the forums that seems like the exact same wording that the lecturer asked in Assignment 1 Question 3, the Fahrenheit/Centigrade/Kelvin conversion. I'm sure it's a student from last year. Lol.

Sweet man
June 29, 2010 09:06AM
How'z the going Benbarian
June 29, 2010 10:08AM
When the going gets tough, the tough pray to Google Almighty.

;}

Suffering brother. Don't know whats going on with this course. I've done assignment one, kinda, but i can't find ANYTHING ELSE. There simply aren't any other assignment questions anywhere!!! There's only the four questions for assignment 1, so i'm thinking maybe thats what she means when she says do assignment one to four, it's question one to four from assignment one?!?!

Please let me know if you've found any other questions anywhere! My times are very few indeed...

And you bro? Hows it going?

I'm really liking this wonderful language. Aren't Switch/Case loops freaking useful!

How you coding? Do you just use command line and textpad? Or an IDE of some kind?
June 30, 2010 10:15AM
It seems all the assignment are conducted online, the second assignment is due today (30th of June). On this website Gradiance and submit them online.
I do most of my coding on textedit (Mac version of notepad) I will get to get some complete Java invironment sometime. I will PM you.
June 30, 2010 11:56AM
Yup...

It seems I've f^&*ked up my timing grandly... Doesn't seem like i'm gonna even be able to finish a single Lab Project by today. That damn GOAL site drives me CRAZY! I haven't been able to do the assignments with the methods she's given, so the GOAL compiler simply won't accept my code... I'm really far behind and have another equally stressful VB.NET assignment for tomorrow, so I've been forced (by my own shoddy time management) to pick a lane. I've already got Exam entrance in VB, so I'm gonna stick with it and leave JAVA for now... ;( very freaking crappy for me, since I love JAVA with all my little binary heart. But there's no way I can even get exam entrance with the minuscule amount of info i've got to submit. So I'm gonna pack up my lovely NetBeans 6.9 IDE and wait till I've really caught up on Visual Studio 2010. But JAVA is in my blood now, so I'll do it in my spare time (HA!) till next year when I'll have to pay again just to write the damn exam...

So it goes

Thanks any way

Stay in touch
June 30, 2010 12:41PM
You can't just give up like that.....
June 30, 2010 01:07PM
I know. It's horrible.

But I don't see any other way out. I've only finished 3 Questions for Assignment one (Lab Project One) and the damn GOAL compiler keeps spitting out my code since I still haven't figured out a way to do the projects using the supplied methods. I use different methods and it works. I haven't been able to figure out that timestamp question at all. I'm only up to Chapter 4 in the book. So I'm rather putting my energy into VB where I'm almost as far behind, but I at least have a guaranteed exam entry because I've finished the first assignment. Whereas in JAVA if I don't make today's deadline (which I can't) I can't write the exam... So there you have it. Any advice or criticism, please email me. ;\
November 26, 2010 04:37PM
hi

can someone send me details about this course. some people at work who want to do java training. just pm me the details smiling smiley

Thanks
celene
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login