Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Battling with Java?

Posted by nadiadp 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Battling with Java?
March 31, 2010 01:25PM
Started the Java Script and it is absolutely Greek to me. I have read through it over and over, do the tasks and still do not understand it.

Does it get easier?

I am only busy with lesson 2 and it feels like it is just getting more difficult.

I read through 2009 forums for answers, but some people also mentioned that they battled with Java.

Should I just carry on and then at some stage things will get clearer? Don't want to waste more time reading through lesson 2 a third time
Mac
Re: Battling with Java?
March 31, 2010 03:05PM
What is important is that you understand what Javascript can do - then finding a piece of code on the internet that will do what you want it to do. There is plenty of that available, and all that is required is for you to tweak such code.

For example, you find this script that checks for required fields, e.g. ensure that a specific field in the form is completed before the form is submitted:
Language: Javascript
<html> <head> <script type="text/javascript"> <script type="text/javascript"> <!--   function validate_form ( ) { valid = true;   if ( document.contact_form.contact_name.value == "" ) { alert ( "Please fill in the ';Your Name'; box." ); valid = false; }   return valid; }   //--> </script>

You just need to edit "document.contact_form.contact_name.value" to reflect your form's name and the text field, e.g if you form's name is myform and the field is name, you will change it to "document.myform.name.value "

These sites with the code normally explains step by step exactly what you have to add where in your html page.
March 31, 2010 03:40PM
THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!!!!

I just started with the JavaScript tutorial and found it SLIGHTLY easier, but still unable to 'get it'. Leaving me feeling very stupid!

I will labour through the 7 lessons and revisit them when I start with my Assignment, I have wasted enough time trying to educate myself.

Thanks again for the advice.
April 04, 2010 04:47PM
Hi Nadia

Shoo , I am also battling with Java, I am on chapter 5 and still in a great big cloud of "blurr" .The other languages seemed somewhat easier to decode in my brain, this I just don't get ! But in the downloads folder there is a nice pdf for beginners, it's helpful and Mac is so right, the solutions are all very much out there , we need to just find them and tweek them.Why did they leave the most complex for last ? and did u notice that the person who wrote this last section actually had a "sense of humour"

Good Luck !thumbs up smiley
April 06, 2010 08:50PM
Hi Rifda

I will have a look at the pdf for beginners, did not see it through all the panicking! Still only on chapter 3 on Javascript (looong weekend).

I guess once this course is over the real work starts when real websites need to be designed with hopefully few mistakes and very patient clients.

Good luck to you too, I guess it helps a little bit to know I am not alone when struggling through this course.
April 07, 2010 06:00PM
The java tutorial certainly helps, started it today, tossed my Masterskills aside and will look at it again when I have completed the tutorial.
Anonymous User
June 09, 2010 04:28PM
Hi everyone

I am going to be starting my Internet and Web design course jous now in June. and finish up in Dec.

How is everyone finding the course so far ( those that started at the begining of the year)?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login