Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Exam Paper 2009

Posted by dve83 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Exam Paper 2009
October 28, 2010 11:59AM
Answer & opinions- these are mine - slightly shortened forms - Id be very interested in your answers

1.1 Interaction Design - The design of interactive products that are intended to support the user in their communications and interactions in the real world / working environment.
1.2 Problem here is that they refer to both User Experience Goals and Usability Goals. These are two different things. any thoughts? I would take usability Goals (Effectiveness, Efficiency, Utility, Safety , Learnability and Memorability) and discuss accordingly. User Experience Goals refer to less objective things like Fun factor, aesthetics etc.

2.1 Interface Metaphor: Is abstraction of realworld entity / object that also has its own behaviors and characteristics. Used in design to portray a known framework for interaction and to help the users understand how a product works and provide concepts / information on how to interact with it.
2.2 Two examples: 1) Windows File Manager with Folders and Files (Cabinet with Folders and Documents), Website Menus / Windows Menu structures - same to restuarant menu with placetags that allow you to easily get from one place to another.
2.3 Disadvantages (or objections) - Limits creativity in design beyond that of the metaphor itself, Limits user understanding beyong that of the metaphor, breaks the rules with regards to culture and logic

3. This seems like a very broad based question - based on examples of your own. They give some possible headings for Affective aspects and you should be discussing it. Eg. Emoticons - How does it elicit emotions in the user? The question goes for 10 marks and they ask you to discuss 3 affective aspects... what is your take on mark allocation per aspect? Also, these aspects are part of the study material I considered to be attentive reading material only, hence such discussion will be very general and based on personal knowledge.

4.Discuss interviews - name structured, semi structured, and unstructured. Explain all 3. Name the advantages and disadvantages of all 3. 15Marks
Structured: When you have list of predetermined questions. Usually applicable when the goals of the interview are known and the questions for it can be determined beforehand. ADV: Structured interviews are usefull for Fast interviews. Questions must be clear and concise.
Unstructured: Exploratory. There are now fixed list of questions. Interviewer allow interviewee to generate new and novel ideas / directions. Allow interview to flow. There are still main topics to be coverred. Questions are mostly open ended. DIS ADD: you get unstructured information and such interview cannot be replicated.
Semi Structure: combines the characteristics of the above and allows for a mix of both structured and unstructured information.

a Identify needs and Requirements establishment - through data gathering and analysis
b Alternative Designs: Both conceptual and physical designs
c) Building interactive versions - prototypes - used for user evaluation
d) Evaluation - determine usability and acceptability against requirements, make adjustments and redesign it.

5.2 No idea? these user characteristics general things OR listed somewhere in our book? OWN REPLY - part of requirement types - User Characteristics are also requirements. Try and explain the use of a conferencing system from the perspective of a frequent / infrequent / novice / amateur user. Explain what a profile is - Set of user characteristics for a 'typical user'

6. Field Studies
a) To evaluate product and users in natural settings to understand how they naturally interact with the physical world. DEFINE IT
b) procedures? still trying to find these... OWN REPLY - inform people of observations, get participant agreement, inform participants how to participate / use product, ensure evaluators know what to do in case something goes wrong.
c) Recording techniques - possibly video cameras, diaries, participant observers - OWN REPLY - Mainly Interviews and observations. But yes we can use cameras, diaries etc. Need to make sure evaluators install cameras such that they are unobstrusive.

7. Ethical Issues - Discuss? I would have expected us to evaluate something by using the DECIDE framework. Seems I'll have to read up lots more detail on each part of the framework.- they need an Essay on " Decide how to deal with Ethical issues" 15 Marks
OWN REPLY: Chapter 13 0 p 639 guidelines for ensuring ethical workings

Danie van Eeden
------------------------
Re: Exam Paper 2009
October 28, 2010 04:39PM
See OWN REPLY tags topside for corrections made / answers to some questions

Danie van Eeden
------------------------
October 28, 2010 10:11PM

1.2 Problem here is that they refer to both User Experience Goals and Usability Goals. These are two different things. any thoughts? I would take usability Goals (Effectiveness, Efficiency, Utility, Safety , Learnability and Memorability) and discuss accordingly. User Experience Goals refer to less objective things like Fun factor, aesthetics etc.

I think this part is from chapter 3, which was dropped for this year, so I doubt if we will get such a question. I know, since I accedently summerised this chapter smiling smiley
October 28, 2010 10:17PM

7. Ethical Issues - Discuss? I would have expected us to evaluate something by using the DECIDE framework. Seems I'll have to read up lots more detail on each part of the framework.- they need an Essay on " Decide how to deal with Ethical issues" 15 Marks

Ethical issues only form 1 part of DECIDE framework. Use DECIDE and address ethical issues - for 15 marks? I don't think there are 15 marks worth of info in the textbook itself.
October 29, 2010 07:46AM

I don't think there are 15 marks worth of info in the textbook itself.
spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

However I get the feeling marks are allocated 2 marks per fact. So I'm guessing you need to write about 6-7 facts. But yes, I feel 15 marks is a little to much for this question.

Danie van Eeden
------------------------
October 29, 2010 09:10AM
For 5.2 these are in chapter 10:

• Functional requirements
  • Data Requirements
  • Environmental Requirements
  • User Requirements
  • Usability and User Experience goals

I reckon for that last question it's 2 marks per point as well. The way I see it, it's mainly broken down into 4 main stages (last three involving the ACM Code of ethics):

• Communicating purposes/Reassuring
  • Upholding Privacy
  • Upholding Confidentiality
  • Protecting Identity / Providing Anonimity

Just in the communications you can write a good 4-5 points about all the different ways to make sure that the user knows that the user understands his "rights" so to speak.
October 29, 2010 12:14PM
Anyway, prep time is nearing to an end now. Good luck to all!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login