Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Exam Post-Mortem

Posted by Kyle 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Re: Exam Post-Mortem
October 27, 2010 11:09AM
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who will be writing a letter of complaint. Honestly, parrot fashion learning at a 3rd year level? And a massive amount of it too. Leaving off tables required? Frankly, I would be embarrassed to put forward this exam paper if I worked in the department. Name the naming convention!? How long is a piece of string?

In my letter I will also be including complaints about the study materials received during the year. For example:

Tutorial Letter 203 - Page 4 - The answer reads:

"Because the file consists of 3 record types and reference 20 data types, the complexity is average, the 2nd row and middle column in table 5.3.

In step four we have to identify the number of record types and data types. According to the question there are three record types and twenty data types to be referenced by the program. Reading from table 5.3, the file type complexity will thus be average
."

Now, when trying to learn a new topic, having answers like this, making you think there is an additional step, leads to hours of work as you try to figure out why on earth step 4 is repeated. I can't explain the frustration I experienced, convinced I had got the whole process wrong, that table 5.3 was used twice for some reason, when really it was a lack of attention from the lecturers. We have to be able to trust the materials being sent to us, but the truth is we cannot.

Just browsing the other tut letters. In tut letter 201, is the answer to assignment 1, question 19 right? Looks like C's profit is 100 000 to me...

Also, with regards to the look up tables in the exam, the question expressly states "How many FPs must be added?". To get this answer you require the look up tables. I was lucky and happened to recall the exact values, as this was a tut question. Can I have a cracker now?

Now, I’m sure that there are those who do poorly in an exam and complain about it being too tough. In this instance though, I think I’ve probably passed this exam reasonably well, but that doesn’t make the paper acceptable. From the volume of complaints it certainly doesn’t seem like this is just sour grapes.

P.S. Twice the distance from the middle to one end.
October 27, 2010 11:22AM
Here's the answer I got.

Dear Jo

Thank you for your email, I will put it on the agenda for discussion at the next module meeting.

Regards
Dr E. Kritzinger
Senior Lecturer: School of Computing
October 27, 2010 11:37AM
I must say I am very disappointed with that paper!

Firstly because it was stated that it would be 60% practical 40% theory, which made me focus more on calculations while I was preparing! Then the parrot-type questions, especially the question about the step wise, for 10 marks! Not really what I would expect from a 3rd year subject, not at all like the assignments or last years paper. I spent hours doing examples & research on the net, especially where the book was lacking more in depth discussions & background info. Also, not any questions on XP, Scrum etc??

The activity on arrow diagram, I did know how to do them, but they can be confusing when switching from Presedence to activity on arrow. As for the FP, where was the table, luckily I remembered the answer from the assignment, although some how I think they were not looking for the answer, they just wanted us to explain the steps. Which I don't think I did too well, if I have alook at the answers given on the forum. Mine answer was more like...Go to page 115 of textbook & look at fig 5.2....then find the column....oh dear!!!

Exams are not my strong point, don't have much of a memory, I am better at explaining & understanding concepts. Anyway I'm not in this to get high marks, just want to pass. I have learnt alot this year & still have that with me, no matter how disappointing the exam was!
October 27, 2010 11:39AM
@Jo well at least you got a reply. That is a MASSIVE step when dealing with Unisa. Probably the most important one smiling smiley
GG
October 27, 2010 02:54PM
I totally agree with you. This paper came from hell and I think the lecturers were not thinking properly or should I say straight when they set it. I spend many hrs in the last 2 weeks revising and studying only to be disappointed. I wish I did not study, what a waste of time to be tested on such crap!
October 27, 2010 02:59PM
tell me which e-mail did u send to because the INF308@osprey.unisa.ac.za doesnt seem to work.
October 27, 2010 03:25PM
You can mail through to Dr. Elmarie Kritzinger as she is the lecturer for the module on kritze@unisa.ac.za

I think we'll all get the mail about the Agenda, which is fine, I'm just happy there was a response.
October 27, 2010 10:26PM
I mailed to eloffmm@unisa.ac.za and Kritze@unisa.ac.za, I think Professor Eloff really counts.
November 25, 2010 09:44PM
Sorry to deviate from the heated discussion,

does the prescribed book come with a MS Project software, or similar, disk?
November 26, 2010 10:37AM
@basicgerm: nope, just the textbook
November 26, 2010 01:45PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login