Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Exam Post-Mortem

Posted by Kyle 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Exam Post-Mortem
October 26, 2010 05:06PM
Seriously, I'm starting to get quite angry in regards to these exams.

• 60% Practical - Not a chance
  • Bugger-all questions on the focused topics throughout the year
  • Parrot-fashion answers expected versus "Testing the concepts"
  • Name the naming convention? Seriously?
  • Arrow Network Model is explicitly stated as not being used anymore. Not once were we asked to draw a full-out diagram like this. The whole year was Precedence networks.
  • The exam was far too long
  • No consistency between previous years, or even this years assignments/exams
  • Corner case theory, rather than driving principles

What the hell Unisa?
October 26, 2010 05:15PM
Well, I was a bit bombed on the theory side of things, and overall feel a bit anxtious about this one. Calcs was ok (made a dumbass mistake on my very first standard deviation calc, a mistake that was implemented throughout the entire question). Try a last-minute fix, but ran out of time...

I might be able to scrape through. But didn't enjoy this one as much as I thought I would have...
Re: Exam Post-Mortem
October 26, 2010 05:17PM
@kyle
Spot on, I agree with everything you stated.

Where did that paper come from?

Absolutely ridiculous, really disappointing!!!
Anonymous User
October 26, 2010 05:27PM
Yes I agree, Kyle...
The calculations on expected time, standard deviation and z value were the only normal things in the exam...
the arrow network model- I know exactly how to draw one and studied it but because we've never been asked/tested on this in assignments (as well as some assignments I checked for previous years) I became stuck when there were two precedents... so i got stuck on calculating the earliest date- do you add the days that result in the earliest value or the lastest value for the earliest date... like when you have G and H and they precede I. G has a duration of 10 and H has a duration as 5, which duration do you take to calculate the earliest date? When I was in the exam I took the earliest calculation... turns out I was wrong when I looked at the textbook- when you have two precedents, you take the longest duration for the calculation for earliest date...

I also don't understand the way in which questions were asked... they asked to name the convention- the only way i understood this was to show how you use the convention to label the node.

What were the requirements of activities? I don't understand that- I wrote requirements being they must have a start date and known duration, must have allocated resources etc... ?

Also there was a question on tasks... I didn't answer that one.

The last question was ok- I remember that one from the assignments.
I know that question 2.2 was from the assignments as well- but unfortunately i didn't study that question in the assignments *sigh*

I thought the MCQ questions were quite challenging as well - I think I guessed 8 out of ten of them....
Anonymous User
October 26, 2010 05:29PM
What is the minimum percentage to get into the supplementary exam?
October 26, 2010 05:34PM
Look at last years (2009) exam discussion and the marks that students got.

Our oct/nov 2010 paper was totally unfair!
October 26, 2010 05:35PM
Wow... I walked into that exam pretty confident. I knew all my diagrams and felt well prepped looking at last year's exam. I must admit I was slightly nervous that this year's exam was 100 marks opposed to last year's 80.
Walked out of the exam a sweaty nervous wreck.

I am hoping the 2 practical questions will carry me through. They were 30 marks. I was hoping for more, like a project selection (ROI, payback) type question and/or a COCOMO calculation question. The theory nailed me, stuff I paged past in the book as I thought it was so insignificant.

Agree with most of Kyle's points.
October 26, 2010 05:43PM
What has happened at the SOC with regards to exams? I wrote INF307 last week and now this and the question papers are much more difficult.
October 26, 2010 05:44PM
Agree with everything Kyle said.
I hated this exam!
I thought that a third level module would be beyond the "list the 10 steps" and "give the 7 things" types of questions. And in all the past exam papers we were given reference tables to calculate the FPs and stuff... but I guess it was a copy of the question from the assignment so have a cracker polly.
I hope I did enough to pass.
I don't know what the hell that question to name the naming convention was? I just drew the block and labelled the 7 parts.

Not sure what to study for my next exam now, have the past papers and assignment memo's but maybe I should throw them all away, and perhaps study from a different textbook?
October 26, 2010 05:45PM
@Mods... I'm with you. Got INF303, 5 and 6 coming up as well. Not getting a warm fuzzy feeling given the last 2.

@brettc "Not sure what to study for my next exam now, have the past papers and assignment memo's but maybe I should throw them all away, and perhaps study from a different textbook?" - Lol, feel the same way
October 26, 2010 06:53PM
Here is a letter I have sent to the lecturers about the examination. Do your part guys and girls. If we all keep quiet, we all get what they give us. I mailed through to kritze@unisa.ac.za as the osprey email address no longer works.

Dear Lecturers,

I am writing to show my discern for the exam written for INF308 - 26 October 2010.

I am quite angry with the way that the SOC examinations have progressed so far this year. With each exam written, the complete lack (and misdirection) of communication between learners and lecturers has become more and more apparent. I have prepared well in advance for all of my exams, and have never been the type to "cram" work. I followed all of the instructions within the examination tutorial letter and have most definitely come off second best. Not only did I prepare, but I even went as far as to help other learners with their preparation for the exams.

My concerns are as follows (with quotations from the examination tutorial letter 103 for 2010):

Ambiguous Questions

Many of the questions were put in a sense where the objective was not made clear (be it the wording or the structure). Examples being the question in regards to Stepwise planning (the word planning, rather than simply using stepwise technique) completely sent learners down the wrong path. Another example is with regards to "Name the naming convention..." - what is the question here? These are only two examples from an otherwise convoluted exam.

60% Practical - Not true at all

Quote:

The layout of this year’s examination papers will be as follows: roughly 40% will focus on theoretical questions, while the remaining 60% will focus on a combination of theoretical and practical questions. While you do not need to memorise all the discount factor values, table descriptors, multiplier values, and so on (you will be provided with them), you do need to be able to apply all the relevant formulae.

The practical aspect of the exam came to 30% of the paper, a long shot from what we were told it would be. This causes us to focus on completely incorrect sections of work - putting us at a massive disadvantage when the paper is mostly theory based. Another note here is the fact that the question involving the Function Points did not give Albrecht's table of function point categorization, making the question guess work

Questions on the focused topics throughout the year were few and far between

The entire year has been focused on the practical aspects of applying concepts found in the textbook. It has also been focused on using the key aspects used in project management, such as the COCOMO model, the precedence network, cost-benefit analysis, scheduling and application of the various formulae to practical scenario's.

Parrot-fashion answers expected versus "Testing the concepts"

Quote:

The examination will test your understanding of the work
rather than just your ability to recall the work.
Most of the exam was based on parrot-fashioned recall. By stating that we must focus on understanding, we assume that you would rule out questions (which are very first-year-esque) such as "The four of..." or "List the 7 steps of...". This would again apply to the above point regarding the actual practical component of this module, in a relevant way to our future and current jobs.

Activity-on-arrow

It is explicitly stated in the book that the Activity-on-Arrow method is no longer being used in practice. Not once were we asked to draw a full-out diagram as was expected in the exam but rather the focus of the entire year was on Precedence networks - even if this meant converting an activity on arrow diagram into an activity on node diagram.

The exam was far too long

The tutorial letter stated that a mark a minute was what was required. This is a complete misrepresentation of the exam. The exam was at such a length (including the problems with ambiguity and drawing) that it is impossible to actually answer all of the questions with the required level of detail. I did not see a single person finish the exam on within time that was happy with their answers - and I exclude those who skipped sections.

No consistency between previous years, or even this years assignments/exams

There was barely a link between the assignments and the exam. The main concepts were left out and the theory was never tested.

Corner case theory, rather than driving principles

As students have said, the majority of theory questioned was in fact an array of corner case questions that are ignored when summarizing your notes. Again, we were told to focus on the understanding of the material, and not the parrot-fashioned receive and recall method of studying.

Please take these points into consideration, as I know for a fact that I am not the only one who had the same concerns.

Looking forward to your reply, and best regards,

Kyle
4343-375-8
October 26, 2010 06:53PM
Wow, that was deadly! Questions 1 to 4.3 killed me.
The rest I managed. Hopefully did enough to pass.
October 26, 2010 07:08PM
I agree with everything said here. I am not sure I have time to write a snotty letter to the lecturers, much as I'd like to, but if they read this forum they will know what we think and that we all agree. There is no way I passed or will qualify for a sup. I am very disappointed because I thought I was well prepared for this paper.
October 26, 2010 07:15PM
@Jo - Of course you have the time. That letter took me 20mins to draft. All you have to do is point out what you found to be bogus, hell, use my points if you like.

Also, it's not snotty, I'd be swearing at them if that was the case winking smiley
October 26, 2010 07:26PM
@kyle

I agree with everything you have stated in the letter to the lecturer
Can I quote your letter and send it to the lecturer stating that I agree with all thats said above?
October 26, 2010 07:27PM
I'm sure you could. Try add a dash of personal input though.
October 26, 2010 07:28PM
Okay will do
October 26, 2010 07:41PM
Glad to hear I'm not the only one who found this exam quite shocking - I totally agree with what is stated above! I was very disappointed with the unfairness of this paper after spending sooooo much time learning all the work covered in the assignments and in the textbook - as indicated in the tutorial letter. Most of the theory questions asked were obscure and confusing (this was actually most of the paper). There was very little relation to what was covered in the assignments, which had focused on the practical work. The past exam papers were much more straightforward than this one - and surely the assignments and info in the tutorial letters should provide some indication of what kind of questions to expect in the exam???

Even some of the MCQs appear to have been based on something other than the prescribed material. I think the only OK parts were the the Step Wise question, the PERT calculations near the end, the very last question (which was from one of the assignments), and the activity-on-arrow diagram (though this in itself was quite a tough one). And no tables/multiplier values were given to be able to calculate the function points in question 2 - after we had been told specifically in the tutorial letter that they would be supplied if this kind of question was asked!

How do you name a naming convention???
confused smiley

I would be very interested to know what the pass rate for this paper is, and how it compares with that for the Oct/Nov 2009 exam.
October 26, 2010 08:09PM
I just emailed my version of how disappointing the paper was.

I hope other students do the same.

We need to be HEARD!!!
October 26, 2010 08:19PM
I really felt confident last night - thought I'm going to Pwn this one. Boy am I mistaken...
October 26, 2010 08:29PM
@Kyle
Ok. I'm not as eloquent as you are, but I think I can come up with a complaint. I didn't mean to sound condescending about your letter inadvertently implying it was snotty and thus bad. I thought it was brilliant! My next exam is Artificial Intelligence which is why I was loathe to spend the time.
I also will be interested to know what the pass rate is. They never publish that, do they?
October 26, 2010 08:32PM
Yeah guys I was also a little stumped when I got in the exam. Got like 0 on the Stepwise question cause yeah I didn't think they would ask it, as seeing as it is something authors made up to explain the general process. It isn't actually used in the industry. Hey but otherwise it wasn't all that horrible.

@Kyle: Dude, sorry to burst your bubble but Question 2.2 was a question in the assignments, you don't need the IFPUG tables. They wanted the procedure for calculating the FP using the table, something like:
Use the amount of records and data types to establish the complexity of the file as Low, Medium or Average by making use of the IFPUG table. Then use the complexity along with the file type(internal logical file) to cross-reference the table containing the functional points. Lastly add the value obtained to the current functional points.

P.S: Also think the theory they asked was really ridiculous though. Got last one because it was in the one assignment, and the naming convention one cause it was in the older papers. And I could remember question 6 from the textbook so I got that sort-of right. So yeah I'm pretty sure I'll pass. 4.4 = 16, 2.2 = 8, 5 = 14, which equals 38. Plus last one(10) and naming convention(4) one is like 14 + 38 = 52. Then there is still multiple choice and all the other crap I wrote...lol!
October 26, 2010 08:40PM
@Marthinus - No bubble burst smiling smiley I took that point from what was said here. I actually think I got that one (same reason, from the assignment - and I remembered the value to boot). I think the worst thing here, is trying to add marks up until 50%. Although a pass is what is needed, it shouldn't be what we all scratch together to try and get. If you're well prepared, you should do well in the exam. The exam doesn't seem to be infer that as being the case.
October 26, 2010 09:01PM
So glad Im not the only one, I didnt even both with the StepWise question or Q3. Just went onto the others.
Also forgot that a calculator would be helpful, since have always just used my phone which of course is a big no no in a exam. And I will be highly miffed if they dont accept good old fractions in the answers. Hope everyone got the square root of 41 divided by 6 as their answer to the last "s" value and "Z" as 6 divided by the square root of 41. == 0.937 smiling smiley

Other than that I think I may add my letter or disgust to the lecturer. This years exams (the 2 I have done so far) have come from very far out of left field. Not at all as expected or as in past papers.
October 26, 2010 09:35PM
@Marthinus
Make sure you let us know what you got when the exam results are released.
[Epithet deleted.]
October 26, 2010 11:35PM
Hey guys I don't in any way disagree with you. It was a bad paper. I mean I did the jan/feb without a book and it was a breeze, would have got a distinction. Thinking of sending my own letter. Especially because of the whole 60% 40% thing. Just noticed Kyle had the IFPUG thing in his letter. Anyways, best to all of you for the next exams! Peace!
October 27, 2010 09:16AM
Gosh! That was a terrible, terrible paper!
I really felt prepared, and was totally bowled out! So many seemingly insignificant theoretical questions, and just about nothing on the practical side!
Although it does make me feel a wee bit better knowing i wasnt the only one who found it bad!
October 27, 2010 09:33AM
I sent in my complaint to the module address but it got sent back - address does not exist. Perhaps they've been overwhelmed with a flood of complaints and have shut it down.

However, I managed to find two personal email addresses for staff I know are associated with this module. So I've fired it off again. Won't help with my result but at least I feel better.
October 27, 2010 09:43AM
My take is that if you writing an INF where they gave the question paper, dont base your exam preperation on that at all. Chances are very good the format has changed. They should'nt have given the papers because all it did was give the student a false sence of preparedness.
Starting to dought the exam tut as well. Still looking for the 60% practical.
Anonymous User
October 27, 2010 09:52AM
Will be emailing the lecturers today with my issues regarding the exam ...
The more emails the lecturers receive with regards to the exam, the more chance of moderation...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login