Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Assignment 2: Question 5 and 6

Posted by rezrovs 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Assignment 2: Question 5 and 6
June 01, 2010 04:11PM
Having trouble with these questions - I don't know what I'm doing...

This is kind of what I am thinking for question 6 and was hoping that someone could comment on it to tell me if I'm on the right track.

The formula says that for all x, it is not the case that P(x,x). And I assume that we have to come up with a meaning for P? So then, a model where the formula is true is if P means 'greater than' and a model where the formula is false is if P is equality.

Is that right? Is that the idea to give P different meanings? Or is it x that we are supposed to assign meaning to?

Thanks
Re: Assignment 2: Question 5 and 6
June 02, 2010 08:31PM
I do not think we need to have a meaning for P - I do not think it matters what P means. I used the model in question 7 as a "template".
I *think* (although, I could be wrong) what they are asking for, is for us to give two models - an alphabet of values for the model, Am and a set of pairs of values, Pm - for which the sentence will be true, and another model for which the sentence will be false.
I have the same meaning of the formula as you - For all x, it is not the case there P(x, x)

I am less sure about question 5, but I think we have to do something similar. Build up one model (alphabet and pair values) which will work for both formula's to be true.

Hope this helps (and to everyone else, if I am on the wrong track, feel free to let me know! smiling smiley )
June 03, 2010 09:43PM
I kind of see what you're getting at. I guess I don't understand how the PM values are created. For example, if you look at question 7 they give you a model and in the PM of that model there are pairs but there are three variables in the formula. How do you interpret PM?
ra
June 10, 2010 10:30PM
Like InSaNiE, I also used Question 7 as a model for constructing models for question 5, 6 and 8 (sorry about the pun smiling smiley )
but I'm also not sure if that is what they actually want from us.

What I did was create a very very simple alphabet (AM) and then slowly build up PM in such a way as to satisfy the formulas.

I interpret PM as concrete instances of P. So I read the formula and try to understnd it generally (as you would do normally) and then apply PM to the formula to see if it satifies the formula.

So, for example if the formula has forall (Vx) then you need to verify PM for each value in AM but with exists (Ex) then you only need to find one case.

I hope I made sense.
June 12, 2010 06:28PM
Hmm, I'm still not quite getting it.

So for question 7 are you supposed to take the values for PM and then plug them into the sentence? For example, do you start with a,a and then see if the sentence equates to true for that?
June 13, 2010 09:30AM
rezrovs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hmm, I'm still not quite getting it.
>
> So for question 7 are you supposed to take the
> values for PM and then plug them into the
> sentence? For example, do you start with a,a and
> then see if the sentence equates to true for that?

Pretty much yes. Plug the values in PM into the sentence determine if the sentence is true. For the model to satisfy the sentence each value in PM needs to make the sentence true.
avatar Re: Assignment 2: Question 5 and 6
June 14, 2010 10:24AM
I do not have a clue what to do. :-(
Maybe by end of today, hopefully.

June 14, 2010 08:00PM
Question 7 has a model. But there is no function set? Is AM a concrete set of functions of the model?

June 14, 2010 09:32PM
kiolb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Question 7 has a model. But there is no function
> set? Is AM a concrete set of functions of the
> model?

If I understood it correctly, then yes, AM is a concrete instance of the function set F (nullary functions in this instance). You don't need an actual function set since AM defines it.
avatar Re: Assignment 2: Question 5 and 6
June 15, 2010 07:10AM
Thanks

Click here to login